Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Sig P238 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/sig-p238-56200/)

Recomm 01-24-2012 05:38 AM

Sig P238

I recently purchased a the 238 as an alternative pocket pistol to my kel tec p3at. The sig feels better in hand and I feel more comfortable knowing I actually have sights to look at for a change instead of the slightly raised fixed sights on the kel tec. I have looked around for reviews and haven't found enough to satisfy me as to if this weapon is as reliable I think/hope it is. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

danf_fl 01-24-2012 10:05 AM

Each and every mechanical device may or may not be reliable. Some do not have a chance to be reliable because of how they are assembled.
Some that assembled with care and expertise still may be unreliable for some unseen or unknown reason.

I suggest that you shoot the snot out of it and determine your own opinion.

(What if it does not turn out to be reliable? Would you sell it or fix it?)

griffin81 01-24-2012 11:04 AM

My wife has one and puts 50 rounds through it a week and she has had it for a few months without and problems. She really likes it.

play the victim, be the victim

armed1212 01-24-2012 02:15 PM

My wife also has p238 and we both love it. I've put around 300 rounds thur it wit very few ftf or eject. Only issue we had was the slide was not locking back on last round or with empty mag. We just sent it in to sig for review. I'm waiting for a answer as of now

crispy500 01-24-2012 02:16 PM

People will tell you that carrying a single action cocked and locked pistol in your pocket is not a good idea.

So I emptied mine, put the safety on, and put the sucker in my pocket. I could never get the safety to flip off under any circumstance. I pocket carry.

Get a good pocket holster.

griffin81 01-24-2012 02:20 PM

My wife's has not had any FTF issues or anything yet but she did have the slide not lock back 2 times when we first got it and I took I home and cleaned it really well and used clp oil in the slide rails and worked the slide a bit. It has shot flawlessly now. What a fun gun to shoot. Now there is a p938 about to hit the market I'm thinking about buying one for he as well. Its built off of the p238 frame and about 3/4 a inch longer in the slide and barrel. So I've read I can't with to find one with a stainless slide

play the victim, be the victim

Paperpuncher 01-24-2012 02:59 PM

I bet we(wife and I) have 300 rounds through the P238 now, and this is what I found.

Some of the issues are undeniably our fault though, and it in no way detracts from us liking the gun or recommending to anyone else to buy. The really only Sig related problem that I'm shaking my head over, is the gun shoots 6 inches low at 7 yards with all ammo, which can be obviously be corrected with different sights, I do believe Sig can do better coming out of the factory to get the gun dialed in a bit better.

I believe the gun is very limp wrist sensitive, with my wife getting quite a few FTF's while unsupported but having the gun feed with no problem while she supports elbows on a range shelf. She'll work on her grip and form and we'll keep and eye on it. The gun shoots fine for me.

I had some early problems with ammo and light strikes, I believe it was the reload ammo I was using from a very good local source and ammo I have shot 1000's of rounds of with no previous problems of other calibers. We'll see, my source gave me a new batch of .380 to shoot through it yesterday so it could of just been batch specific.

We shot 150 rounds of PMC with no problems.

Then I had put on a stainless trigger, and had trigger resetting problems, it's an easily understandable gun to work on, and a little trigger bar very light sanding seems to of corrected the problem.

I an glad I bought it, would do so again. I also believe it's a tight gun coming out of the factory and needs a bit of breaking in.

sdcromer 01-24-2012 10:42 PM

Go to YouTube and watch the P238 review by Nutnfancy. Should make you feel warm and fuzzy about your purchase. ;)

Recomm 01-25-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Each and every mechanical device may or may not be reliable. Some do not have a chance to be reliable because of how they are assembled.
Some that assembled with care and expertise still may be unreliable for some unseen or unknown reason.

I suggest that you shoot the snot out of it and determine your own opinion.

(What if it does not turn out to be reliable? Would you sell it or fix it?)

I appreciate the input from everyone. I think I will shoot the hell out of it like suggested and if it doesn't pan out to be the reliable gun I think it should be, I'll trade it in for a different gun. Sig has a pretty good history so i'm hoping for the best.

armed1212 01-25-2012 02:26 PM

Just to update u just got am email from sig that p238 is coming home. I must say that was fast! I sent it out a week and a half ago and already done . Great customer serivce I must say. But let's see how it works when I take it back to range. I will advise if I have the same issue.