Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Sig P226 X-5 tactical (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/sig-p226-x-5-tactical-46190/)

Glimmer3 08-03-2011 03:51 AM

Sig P226 X-5 tactical

Hey guys, I've been researching various single action handguns lately and stumbled across the Sig P226 X-5 tactical. I would love to have more info on it, but I haven't found anyone talking about it at all. Have any of you bought one or even shot it? Any feedback would be great.

AznZOhAn 08-03-2011 06:53 AM

I've never shot or owned one, but would love to. The X series is out of price league at the moment. I own a 229 357 sig, a 229 elite 40, and a 220 carry, and a 220 platinum elite on the way. I like all 3 cause they shoot great and reliable. I think the frames are German made.

Glimmer3 08-03-2011 05:47 PM

I am mainly wondering how accessible the safety and slide release are. It seems, from all the pictures, that the two are practically right on top of each other.

sweeper22 08-04-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glimmer3 (Post 555279)
I am mainly wondering how accessible the safety and slide release are. It seems, from all the pictures, that the two are practically right on top of each other.

Every Sig I've handled is super easy to break down. For most: lock slide back, turn slide release from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock, release slide lock.

I can see that the X-5 thumb safety & slide lock are close, but I'd image they're easy enough to manage.

My own thoughts on the X-5: I have neither shot nor handled one, but it's almost certainly an outstanding firearm. It's also a firearm that I can't afford, and my own preferences would probably send me in a different direction were I shopping in that price range. I have a nice P226. And while I'm becoming a really decent shooter, I'm not sure my skills will ever exceed that gun's potential. That probably applies to 95+% of the shooting community.

If you really want an X-5 and it's financially feasible, go for it. A little spendy. Maybe even too spendy. But "cost" and "value" and entirely relative concepts from one shopper to the next. I have little doubt that it's a fine gun.

TekGreg 08-04-2011 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glimmer3 (Post 555030)
Hey guys, I've been researching various single action handguns lately and stumbled across the Sig P226 X-5 tactical. I would love to have more info on it, but I haven't found anyone talking about it at all. Have any of you bought one or even shot it? Any feedback would be great.

Glimmer3, not sure exactly what info you're looking for since you didn't specify, but I have shot this gun, and impressed doesn't begin to describe how I felt. The factory tuned trigger had a really crisp break to it in single-action, it was extremely accurate with the 5" barrel and everything functioned flawlessly. This is one of those guns that is inherently more accurate than most shooters. The night sights were easy to acquire even at dusk and the aluminum frame made it easier to carry without making recoil seem worse. The two 15-round magazines it comes with functioned flawlessly with all of the junk ammo I tried to jam them up with! It was a very pleasant gun with no apparent problems and I thought it was worth every penny.

AznZOhAn 08-04-2011 08:01 AM

I'm jealous, I'm still waiting for my 220 platinum to come in, but it isn't a X series.

Mack Bolan 08-04-2011 01:31 PM

sig p226-navy is the first handgun i bought and i love it.

i will definitely buy another sig as soon as i can afford to.

knfxda 08-04-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22 (Post 555717)
Every Sig I've handled is super easy to break down. For most: lock slide back, turn slide release from 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock, release slide lock.

I can see that the X-5 thumb safety & slide lock are close, but I'd image they're easy enough to manage.

My own thoughts on the X-5: I have neither shot nor handled one, but it's almost certainly an outstanding firearm. It's also a firearm that I can't afford, and my own preferences would probably send me in a different direction were I shopping in that price range. I have a nice P226. And while I'm becoming a really decent shooter, I'm not sure my skills will ever exceed that gun's potential. That probably applies to 95+% of the shooting community.

If you really want an X-5 and it's financially feasible, go for it. A little spendy. Maybe even too spendy. But "cost" and "value" and entirely relative concepts from one shopper to the next. I have little doubt that it's a fine gun.

I gotta say, sweep, you are one of my favorite posters here. Direct, to the point, well thought out, good advice and you never jump on anyone! 2 thumbs up! :D

AznZOhAn 08-04-2011 06:25 PM

Ok this is forum I like, now let's see some pics. I like the 3 I got now, and I got one more on the way.

AznZOhAn 08-04-2011 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
220 carry 45, 229 elite 40, and 229 357 sig in a perfect triangle.