SIG P226 slide-catch

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG P226 slide-catch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SIG P226 slide-catch

It's my understanding that the slide lock is supposed to engage after the last cartridge is fired, signifying so. I've noticed that my P226 lately has done this sometimes and many times fails to do this. The slide lock does however work fine and if I manually shove the slide back when the mag is empty, it locks just fine.

My gun is still pretty new (I got it in June) and I'm also still pretty new to taking care of it. Is this maybe a lubrication issue? What could cause this? When I first got it, it locked back every time I fired the last round. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
It's my understanding that the slide lock is supposed to engage after the last cartridge is fired, signifying so. I've noticed that my P226 lately has done this sometimes and many times fails to do this. The slide lock does however work fine and if I manually shove the slide back when the mag is empty, it locks just fine.

My gun is still pretty new (I got it in June) and I'm also still pretty new to taking care of it. Is this maybe a lubrication issue? What could cause this? When I first got it, it locked back every time I fired the last round. Thank you.
Could be a lube issue, could also be your grip. Make sure that your thumb is not resting on or pushing up/down on the slide release when you shoot.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Double check you grip.

Most of the time the slide will not lock after the last round ist fired, because the thumb is accidently resting in the slide catch lever.
I notice this on my Sig P226 aswell every now and then, since the catch is very close to the top of the grip, one dons`t really feel, compared to other pistols.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Double check you grip.

Most of the time the slide will not lock after the last round ist fired, because the thumb is accidently resting in the slide catch lever.
I notice this on my Sig P226 aswell every now and then, since the catch is very close to the top of the grip, one dons`t really feel, compared to other pistols.
Oh, this must be it. I know for a fact my thumb has been resting on it because I've been really honing the whole thumbs-forward thing. I'll check it out, thanks.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
Oh, this must be it. I know for a fact my thumb has been resting on it because I've been really honing the whole thumbs-forward thing. I'll check it out, thanks.
I use the thumbs forewared grip aswell and just try to rest my strong hands thumb (my right hand) on the left hand thumb area.