Is the sig mosquito any good? or should I get other? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Is the sig mosquito any good? or should I get other?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Mine doesn't....

Is the sig mosquito any good? or should I get other? - Semi-Auto Handguns Is the sig mosquito any good? or should I get other? - Semi-Auto Handguns
Nor does mine, no loaded chamber indicator either...

Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #12

ruger P4 mark 3 can be had from jg sales for about 250 plus S&H and ffl transfer and with the kind, loving hand of a proper gun smith that pesky mag safety and even the one in the chamber indicator can be removed and BAM! your at the range with your 550 rounds of .22 lr for $11.97 shooting ACCURATELY and having FUN ALLLL DAAY!
"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #13

I have a skeeter and am pretty happy with it. It can be a little finicky on the ammo. Might be my imagination (I haven't actually kept records to be sure..), but it seems like it might have fewer feed/eject issue with the lighter/faster 36gr ammo compared with the 40gr. Could be wrong on that too.. Either way, now that I've got about 1000 rounds through it it, reliability seems improved.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have a Ruger MkII 22/45 and two Mosquitos. By far, the Mk II is the most accurate .22LR semi I own. I have a red dot on it and can shoot extremely tight groups with it. I bought the first Skeeter, a Sport, three years ago as a muscle memory and low-cost shooting trainer. My first range session was with bulk ammo and I experienced all the bad things one hears about the Skeeter: failures to feed, fire and extract. It was extremely frustrating. I then went on-line, discovered the SigForum and its extensive thread on the pistol. The basic advice: break it in with CCI MiniMags (just like the factory sticker says), use the white spring, and keep it clean and well lubricated. Voila, subsequent range sessions became fun again. Two years ago a local gun shop called to advise a dissatisfied buyer had traded his back in for something else and they asked if I'd care to take it off their hands -- cheap. I discovered the original buyer had never even cleaned it out-of-the box, left the "heavy" spring in it and must have shot cheap bulk stuff (judging by the powder residue in it). I just repeated the steps done previously with the Sport and it's an absolute delight to shoot, too. Both now have many thousands of rounds through them, happily eat most any high velocity ammo brand I put through them and are completely trouble-free. While I love my MkII, the Skeeters are much easier to break down, clean and (most importantly) reassemble.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #15

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe View Post
ruger P4 mark 3
I have no idea what gun this is. I'll assume you're talking about the poly framed 22/45...

Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I have no idea what gun this is. I'll assume you're talking about the poly framed 22/45...
Yes, the Ruger P4 mark 3 is the short barrel poly framed equivalent of the 22/45. it has the 4 inch bull barrel instead of the longer. I promise it exists :-P im looking at one right now :-D
"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

The Mosquito does have a fairly short grip. The D/A trigger is comparable to the D/A trigger of the center fire Sigs. I have only worked on one. The muzzle brake screw had wallowed out the recess on the barrel and was loose. Simple fix.

The Ruger rimfires are very good guns with little to complain about.

I have a S&W 22A that is very accurate and has never given me a bit of trouble. It looks kind of ugly. The black metal finish looks like spray paint and the plastic grips have no character. It works. 10 shot 30 ft groups you can cover with a dime.

I hear good things about the Brownings and the old High Standards are timeless. The Smith M-41 is the accuracy standard.

You can spend anywhere from $200 - $1000 depending on what you are looking for. The $200 pistol may be a dream and the $1000 pistol may be a finicky primadonna.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ruger 22/45 is a nice shooter

Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What magazine safety?

I love my Mark III. A lot. You're making an awesome choice.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Mine doesn't....

Is the sig mosquito any good? or should I get other? - Semi-Auto Handguns Is the sig mosquito any good? or should I get other? - Semi-Auto Handguns
nice!
need to get that when i eventually buy one