Should I buy a walther p99?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Should I buy a walther p99?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Should I buy a walther p99?

I think I am interested in getting a Walther p99. Anybody of any thoughts on the pros or cons of this vs other available firearms out there? Is there any difference that matters between a p99 and a sw99?

Thanks
Erin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

The P99 is a good gun, I have always been a fan of Walther.
The main difference between the P99 and the SW990 is the SW doesn't have a decocker.
Although the P99 is a great gun and I am a Walther fan, I'm also a big fan of Springfield, I believe I would pick an XD over the P99, but thats just my personal preference. Either one would be a good decision, but I think right now the XD is about the best tupperware pistol.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #3

By tupperware gun do you mean any gun with a plastic frame? Anymore that is getting to be, well most guns out there. I have to admit that I was avoiding the xd at first. I had a glock 22 for years, but I eventually grew so frustrated with it that I sold it. I like the idea of a glock, but every other gun I own shoots better for me than my glock did. Also I am finding that many other guns fit my hand much better than the glock did. When I looked at the xd information on line, it looked like a "glock clone", so I did not think I would like it. The walther was the first "glock clone" gun I saw that I thought that I might like, as the grip was super comfortable, and I thought that the DA/SA trigger might shoot better for me.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

By "tupperware" I am referring to all polymer frame pistols.
The XD is just my personal preference and is next on my "guns to own before I die" list.
If you have already handled the P99 and others and the P99 is your favorite, then go for it, your opinion of the gun is the only one that matters

Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
your opinion of the gun is the only one that matters
Quoted for truth. I've owned a Walther P99 and the S&W versions - not much difference between them. If you like DA/SA they are great guns. I'm not a DA/SA fan so I prefer the XD for a poly gun...

Old 12-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #6

If nothing else, this thread has encouraged me to take a look at the xd. Like I said before, when I saw first saw the xd, I thought it was just another glock.

Unfortunately I have not been able to handle a p99, as none of my local shops have one. I did handle the sw990l, which has the walther grips, and it felt nice. The trigger is the DOA however, so I am not sure if I will like the walther sa/da trigger. (I did prefer the xd trigger to the walther doa trigger)

I did handle the xd and the xdm while I was there, and was pleasantly surprised by how they felt, and how smooth and clean their doa triggers were. My aversion to the doa trigger comes from the dissatisfaction of my glock ownership, but after trying the xd triggers, I realize it might just be a glock trigger thing, and not a doa trigger thing that was bothering me. Too bad I don't live near a rental range where I could test drive one of these, and the walther for that matter.

Last edited by Terrax; 12-29-2009 at 12:06 AM.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #7

I think the new glocks are much improved. Just food for thought. I absolutely LOVE my glock.

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #8

I have owned a Walther P99 (DA/SA model, Pre 2000 model) for 6 years and have put a minimum of 10,000 rounds through it over the years... not including the rounds put through it before it came to me (I bought it used)... I had a total of 2 failures with it throughout the years, both due to faulty ammo (I have never bought ammo at a gun show since then). The Walther P99 is, IMHO, one of the best 9MM handguns I have ever fired... Its like a fine wine, only getting better with age... Now, I own quite a few firearms, the USP .45 being my favorite just because I have the most experience with it.... But if I cant acquire a USP at a moments notice, I would choose this gun over anything else... James Bond is a wise man to have chose this gun as his default sidearm. Get a Genuine Walther model though... Ive heard mixed reviews of the Smith n Wesson version... :-(