Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Shooting Walther P1 (P38) - Need Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting Walther P1 (P38) - Need Help!

I’m fairly new to shooting pistol. So far I shot about 500 rounds of 9mm Luger ammo and 1,500 rounds of 22 l.r.

I bought a military surplus post-war Walther P1 (same as P38) from AIM a few months ago and have shot about 150 rounds but could never get hang of the aiming, accuracy, or grouping. What’s the right aiming technique and SIGHT Picture for the P1?

First, my shots were consistently 3-4 inches (with target 8-10 yards away) lower than where I aimed at. Second, the grouping was large and not consistent at all.

FYI, I also shoot a HK P7 PSP with which I have excellent accuracy (2 inch group at 8-10 yards). Even better with my Browning Buckmark 22 l.r. So I would think my shooting technique is ok.

Is there anything wrong with my aiming or handling of the gun? Or, it’s the P1 itself. Some people said the front sight might not be the correct height. But my grouping should be consistent.

What can I do to improve the accuracy shooting the P1? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are many possibilities as too what is affecting the accuracy. I could have been the ammunition, but I suspect it's just the matter of you getting use to firing handguns. When you're new to firing any type of firearm it usually takes a bit to get use to that type of firearm and the same thing goes for each individual firearm. Since you're new to shooting handguns I would say that is the most likely suspect, but that doesn't mean it's definately the one.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #3

Even though you shoot good groups with other weapons, it doesn't mean something is wrong with the P1. It could have something to do with the grip angle, the texture of the grips, the trigger, ....you name it. You should let a seasoned shooter puts some rounds downrange before blaming the gun. If they can't group well with it, ask them if it's the gun. A good shooter will tell you if they think something is amiss...literally.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Even though you shoot good groups with other weapons, it doesn't mean something is wrong with the P1. It could have something to do with the grip angle, the texture of the grips, the trigger, ....you name it. You should let a seasoned shooter puts some rounds downrange before blaming the gun. If they can't group well with it, ask them if it's the gun. A good shooter will tell you if they think something is amiss...literally.
Do that.

If it isn't the gun, it may be the very different grip styles between the P7 and the P1.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Retired

Liked 2267 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

P1 is not as well assembled as the P7.
One key element to accuracy is the way that things work together. The P7 has a "fixed" barrel (pinned to the frame), the P1 not.
Let someone else try the P1 and try it from a rest. The P1 is a "service" pistol and may not lend itself to great accuracy.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 07-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Use a commercial rest or sandbags to help take the human element out to see what kind of group the handgun will hold. If it is all over the place, then you know it's either the gun or the ammunition; change out the ammunition. If it holds a group off a rest then you know what the problem is.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #7

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

When I had a P1, it initially shot low as well. I found that it shot more accurately with 124gr. ammunition. I was told that it was designed to shoot the stuff. Now whether that is true or not, I don't know. But I do know that when I switched to the heavier round, the point of impact was raised.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Retired

Liked 2267 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

Copmpare your P1 to the Beretta 92. Very close, except the front sight on the 92 is part of the "slide", on the P1 it is part of the barrel.

For great accruacy from the P1, the barrel has to align perfectly every time.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC