Shooting styles
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Shooting styles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting styles

Now I've heard all that stuff about the "proper" and "traditional" way to shoot a hand gun... Feet at 45 degree angle, keep a high grip, straight back trigger squeeze... But once in a while that gets a little boring, don't you agree? so this thread is for people that have interesting twists on the "proper" styles of shooting, or have a few tips on different styles of shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It is important to practice unconventional shooting stances/positions. While these are not optimal for marksmanship, a dynamic threat situation does not always allow for a squared away, upright, knees bent, arms out shooting style.

It may be necessary to shoot from behind or beneath cover or take a shot without proper sight allignment. Prone shooting, supported shooting against cover, and shooting with a laser sight without looking at the sights are all possibilities.

I practice unconventional shooting. I don't have a laser on any of my pistols so I can't shoot accurately without seeing at least part of my sights.

Good thread to remind us that it is not always about bullseyes.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #3

That's the point exactly! Thanks for the response, I'm sure there'll be more to come from other users

Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not a hardcore pistolero and even I practice strong hand, weak hand, one hand, two hand, standing, kneeling, sitting, prone and shooting over and around stuff.

I also have a pistol with a trench sight that is somewhat conducive to point shooting.

It's good practice and good fun...anything goes at our range.

Be Well.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It all depends on what school-of-thought your shooting objectives demand.

Are you "competition shooting" or is it "fighting shooting"?

For competition shooting it is beneficial to find the stance/style that produces the most accuracy and practice, practice, practice.

For fighting shooting (combat/defensive) there is no way to plan for an emergency so the more you mix it up, the better prepared you will be.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #6

Oh I'm just talking about for fun. I practice for accuracy, and home defense... But theres that little kid inside me that says "hey, this is getting boring, let's do something out of the ordinary" and weather that's shooting sideways, (gangster style) shooting from the hip, or while closing my eyes, I always find a way to mix it up. I was just wondering what other people do to spice up their "normal" shooting drills.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #7

I enjoy shooting from cover and from the hip to mix things up

Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

From cover? Explain

Old 09-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #9

My grandfather owns a lot of land and is a huge gun enthusiast. We have several targets set up for different situations. For example we have standard targets set up at 10, 25, 50, 75 and 100 yards for just target practicing and then he's got what he calls "situation targets" set up for practicing different scenarios and some of those include barriers to hide behind and shoot from.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #10

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I watch a few Youtube guys that do reviews from their own backyard range replete with steel gongs, water jugs, responsive targets, etc. And all in their own little bit of forest.

I drool.

Rules at the various ranges are very limiting. Doing anything safe that I would want to do sounds like a lot of fun.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face