Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Shooting Range ....complaint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
If anyone doubts what I've just said, I will remind you that; 'I am, as far as I know, the only one here professional enough to handle a Glock Fo-Tee!'
Quote:
BANG!
And THAT is one of the key reasons that I feel that particular handgun is not AS SAFE as other brands that are out there on the market with other, operational safeties on them.

JD

Old 07-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrem700 View Post
a guy trying to teach his way to young son how to shoot a rifle that was taller than he was, it was a Endfield and the kid could not have been nore than 6-7 dad was sitting at a picnic table while this kid is wobbeling all over the place trying to keep the rifle under controle at the bench
This post brings up another topic that many grown men do to their kids that ruins their skill/enjoyment of shooting. That is having a kid shoot a gun that is way beyond their capability to handle - in terms of aim, control and recoil. And, an Enfield is way beyond what a 6-7 year old should be handling.

If you want to purposefully build in a "flinch" to a future shooter, have them start out with something that is HARD TO CONTROL, LOUD, KICKS LIKE MULE and SCARES HELL OUT OF THEM EVERYTIME THEY PULL THE TRIGGER.

How many times have you heard "Yeah, first time I shot my granddad's 12 guage double it put me on my back". Think that guy is a good shot? If he is, he put in a lot of time at the range getting over his first experience.

Start the kids out with a .22 and ear protection and work up as they grow up.

I took my 13 year old granddaughter to the range 2 weeks ago for some gun training and shooting. The guys at the next table were a granddad and his grandson who was entering the Marines the following week. The granddad was teaching the grandson to shoot an AR15. The grandson had never shot a gun (where has granddad been all these years?). Granddaughter and I were shooting my Ruger 10/22 and 22/45. Granddad offered to let granddaughter shoot his AR. I thanked him but declined and told him I wanted her to become confident in her .22 handling before moving to something that was much louder and with a felt recoil. He understood and said that was a good approach.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 AM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Months ago I caused a stir by suggesting that Glocks are, let's say, not built as well as they could be. Bring the hate.

I shoot at a pretty old range here, and when I first took my son there, I showed him the holes in the overhead, the bench, and everywhere else there shouldn't have been holes. I explained to him that they were "people holes", because if it hadn't been for careless, stupid people, they wouldn't exist. Then we went through an entire FAMFIRE brief.
Virginia is an open-carry state, but when I go to shoot paper, the gun is in the bag and the mag is out. The slide does not lock open (I have to be able to count to 5) so slide position is not a factor. I do everything I can do to keep an accidental discharge from occurring, and that's why my next gun will be a Sig Sauer.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #14

I'm new to the sport but the one thing I'm religious about is safty. Even in the short time I've been shooting I've seen some people at the range who scared the crap out of me. Nine times out of ten its some tool acting like he's a gang-banger.

Not growing up around them gives you a good health fear.

Forgive my ignorance gorknoids, but why is a Sig Sauer better for preventing a accidental discharge?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
This post brings up another topic that many grown men do to their kids that ruins their skill/enjoyment of shooting. That is having a kid shoot a gun that is way beyond their capability to handle - in terms of aim, control and recoil. And, an Enfield is way beyond what a 6-7 year old should be handling.

If you want to purposefully build in a "flinch" to a future shooter, have them start out with something that is HARD TO CONTROL, LOUD, KICKS LIKE MULE and SCARES HELL OUT OF THEM EVERYTIME THEY PULL THE TRIGGER.

How many times have you heard "Yeah, first time I shot my granddad's 12 guage double it put me on my back". Think that guy is a good shot? If he is, he put in a lot of time at the range getting over his first experience.

OMG I can't stand people like this. Doing things like this make me want to (In A Cartman voice) KICK THEM IN THE NUTS.....

For everytime they have done that to a kid I would really like to walk by out of nowhere and just kick them as hard as humaly possiable. Without them knowing it was going to happen then see what happens after about 2 times.

I even got on a guy a few weeks ago at the range for getting on his kid he loaded and handed a kit a walther 22 with a 3" barrel and a DAO trigger. So I took the red dot off my neos and said here try this might be able for him to hold better and it is a little quieter than that one. What do you know a little less recoil and noise the kid was shooting 4" groups off hand at abotu 10 yards not bad for a 6yo fist time shooting. Then I let him shoot my 22 rifle he loved it so much I think he went threw 500 rounds while the guys were talking.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #16

Default Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
I don't want to argue; but, I do feel a certain obligation to respond to the main topic of this thread.

First, every range I shoot at has one principal rule that no one is ever allowed to violate. Rifles are a little different; but, with the sole exception of one indoor range, I am allowed to show up wearing a loaded pistol. However, once the weapon is removed from the holster:

THE MUZZLE POINTS IN ONLY ONE DIRECTION - DOWNRANGE - AND NEVER ANYWHERE ELSE.

Before you begin a match you have to walk to the firing line, stand in front of a safety officer, remove the pistol's magazine and clear the chamber in order to, 'make ready' before anything else happens. Afterwards you only load a magazine and chamber a round when you're told to; and, you must completely clear the weapon immediately when finished shooting, AND keep it that way! Behind the firing line no magazines are allowed to be in the gun.

Pistols never come off the firing line in hand. Anyone who attempted to casually walk away from the firing line with a pistol in hand would hear, in a very loud voice,

STOP! KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER! TURN AROUND, NOW, AND POINT THAT MUZZLE DOWNRANGE. RETURN TO THE FIRING LINE. PUT THE GUN DOWN; AND, WAIT FOR ME TO COME OVER TO YOU!

For the record, I carry a Glock pistol. It is NOT a safe weapon! I handle firearms all day long. Twice during my life I've been struck by either an accidentially fired, or a negligently discharged round. (And, I've got the scars to prove it!)

With the bitter voice of experience, I'm able to tell you that there is no such thing as a perfectly safe firearm - No such thing! You always have to take, 'THE HUMAN IDIOT FACTOR' into consideration! Once a Glock has a round chambered it is a, 'ticking timebomb' that can suddenly go off for a wide variety of different reasons or because of numerous diverse circumstances.

A Glock with a loaded magazine inserted into the frame is, at best, only a marginally safe pistol. A Glock pistol may be considered to be safe under only two specific conditions: (1) When it is in C-3; or, (2) When it is securely holstered.

If anyone doubts what I've just said, I will remind you that; 'I am, as far as I know, the only one here professional enough to handle a Glock Fo-Tee!'

(Don't laugh! Your government trained him!)
Hello all. In my 24 years belonging to the worlds largest police department and and having to qualify several times a year,(standing next to 40+ shooters on the line) I have yet to see these Glock malfunctions that are being discussed. Having purchased my Glock long before the dept authorized it, and shooting it extensively, it has performed as expected. To say the Glock is an unsafe auto is grossly inaccurate. I mean this with no disrespect. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Wow! I get so sick and tired of reading the same internet palaver over and over again that, (Ready?) magazines aren't clips. According to, both, longstanding historical usage throughout the entire Western World, and The National Rifle Association (Who ought to know!)

Magazines ARE clips!

In, both, firearm advertising and proper technical usage it is perfectly correct to refer to a magazine as a clip. The only place you will hear this isn't true is on internet firearms forums where the rumor has been allowed to grow unabated like a tumor until all the gun wannabees absolutely believe it and continue to parrot it to one another.

(Does everyone, also, know that ALL handguns are correctly referred to as, 'pistols'?)

OK, Explain this...
http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html

Clips do not have feed springs, magazines DO.

Last edited by Mark F; 10-11-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt22 View Post
thanks G21.45 where i come from magazines and clips are the same.

OK, explain this...
http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html

Where is it you come from?

Last edited by Mark F; 10-11-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #19

the two ninja secrets to weapons safety?

finger.

muzzle.

Don't like how people are acting at the range? Its up to you to either police them yourself or go talk to the range owners/management. All you other guys talking about mags and clips. DIAF, go start a new thread and pollute that.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Does it really matter if someone calls them magazines or clips?

Dood....zOMG!!!!! That's not a gun! That's a pistol! Pistol is for shooting, gun is for fun! NOOB!

How dare you refer to a bullet holder as a magazine or clip!

A magazine is for reading, and a clip is for your hair. We should call it the metal box thingy that hold the bullets.

Why do you call it a sidearm? It's not an "arm"! It's a gun! *slap*

It's not ammunition, it's bullets! Ammunition sounds too official. In fact, lets just call them steel zingers!

Sorry, been too serious lately. Just wanting to have fun.