Shooting a New SIG-Sauer P220...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Shooting a New SIG-Sauer P220...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting a New SIG-Sauer P220...

Hello. I recently purchased a NIB SIG-Sauer P220 .45 ACP pistol. This one sports an accessory rail (something I could live without), and has the milled slide rather than the folded version with a pinned-in breech block. It also has the external extractor.

This P220 appears to be the "regular" version of this design. Several variations on the P220 theme are offered. This one came with textured grip panels which are thinner than in years past and I welcome the vertical serrations on the front grip strap. This P220 came with night sights as well as one extra stainless steel, 8-shot magazine. An older ('91-manufacture) P220 I have owned since '92 came with 7-shot magazines.

I have had a genuine fondness for these pistols since I bought my first one in 1991, after witnessing Texas Department of Public Safety Firearm Instructor, Lt. Reeves Jungkind (ret.) shoot some really tight groups off-hand at 50 yards with one using ammunition commercially-loaded with Speer's now discontinued 200-gr. JHP. It seemed to me that his out-of-the-box P220 was grouping as well as some accurized 1911's I'd seen and shot!

In any event, I bought one and have shot it off and on since that time. Before retiring from police service, one of my duties was that of a firearm instructor and as such, I saw quite a few of these pistols fired over the years. Texas DPS troopers were also using them at that time and cutting to the chase, I was hearing of few problems with the P220's. I personally witnessed none, but have seen other folks' reports to the contrary.

Admittedly, most of my shooting these past forty years has been with single-action automatics (1911's & Hi Powers) or double-action revolvers (usually S&W's), but I've also worked and taught with traditional DA/SA autoloaders. "The double-action automatic is an answer to a non-existant problem" sounds pretty good to me and I respect that statement's source quite a lot, but I respectfully disagree. Many (probably a distinct majority) in law enforcement simply are forbidden by policy to carry a single-action autoloader or are specifically mandated to tote a DA/SA autoloading handgun in a specific caliber. Restrictions may vary to some degree, but probably not on forbidding the single-action auto's use. That we may not agree with the idea is moot; some law enforcement personnel are still required to use DA/SA.

This Bladetech holster works fine with both my new P220 having the accessory rail and my older one which does not.

Other people simply are not comfortable with Condition One carry and will not be. I do not look "down" on them in any manner as appears to have been the case to varying degrees over the years, nor do I come close to accepting that an autopistol design other than single-action carried cocked-and-locked is "the badge of the incompetent". I have seen the unedited police videotape of a law enforcement officer effectively engaging his would-be murderer with a P220 and had "e-conversations" with a couple of other folks who've both seen and slain "the dragon" using the P220. Though my personal preference remains the single-action autoloader in general, I simply have not found the traditional DA/SA autoloader a monster to learn. I am speaking only for myself and other shooters may hold just the opposite view, but in any event, I was happy to try a new P220 and am in the process of comparing it to my older one. If interested, here is a fairly-detailed initial report:

Long

Make no mistake; I am not trying to "convert" anyone to this design or manufacturer. My aim is simply to provide personal observations, statistically invalid as they may be, that might be of some use for folks interested in this area of handgun selection.

I have enjoyed shooting a P220 off and on for nearly 20 years now. I hope that this new gun serves at least as well as the older one has. We'll see.

Best.

Last edited by SACamp; 02-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I recently picked an all steel P220 ST myself. I like 1911s and I like Sigs so it seemed like a good fit. One of the things I like best about Sigs is I just don't have to worry about them being necessarily ammo sensitive. The first time I had mine at the range (last week) I ran a mixture of JHP ammo through it and it ate everything perfectly. The all steel versions are HEAVY though...

Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thank you Stephen.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things about Sigs. Thanks for the review and pics. Beautiful gun!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Beautiful gun. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #6

Hello and thank you for your comments. I am glad that the post was of interest.

Best.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Careful, buying Sig's can be an addicting habit. First you just tell yourself, one can't hurt.....then you trade in something else for another Sig and so it begins.

Enjoy, Sig makes a great pistol.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I'm starting to catch the "signess" we'll see....

002.jpg  

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just bought my Sig P220 Elite Stainless last week.

It shoots like a dream.

It's the 1st P220 I've owned, but not my 1st Sig.

And probably not my last Sig either

Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Careful, buying Sig's can be an addicting habit. First you just tell yourself, one can't hurt.....then you trade in something else for another Sig and so it begins.

Guilty.