Shooting advice - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Shooting advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Dry fire can help. Also your Ruger is a pretty small gun, so felt recoil can be a lot stronger than with a full size gun. It's natural (but wrong) to increase how hard you are holding the gun as you pull the trigger. Tightening your other fingers at (or just before) the moment of discharge can pull the muzzle down and to one side (in your case the right).

I'm still struggling with that same problem, though I'm usually low and left. It does get better with practice. You can't hardly see yourself doing it since the recoil drives the muzzle back up and covers the pulling down action.

If you are anticipating (as I do) there's a good chance you won't see it during dry fire. You know when you dry fire that you won't be getting any recoil. So, you don't twitch. If you can get a friend at the range to load your magazine with a couple snap caps at random locations, you will see the twitch since there's no recoil to hide it. That helps with diagnosis, but it hasn't helped me with correcting the anticipation (yet).

Keep going, it will get better. By the way, if the Ruger is new, it probably is NOT the sights. Most decent handguns come pretty well adjusted. If you have a laser boresighter you can check it pretty easily.
I think your peo lem is in your trigger hand too. I had the same problem not to the same angle but just being off. When firing try and keep your firing hand as relaxed as possible. With my sig i think my accura,y almost matches my pistol. Keep most the wieggt and pressure on the hand not pulling the trigger. If your squezzing or putting too much pressure with firing hand your going to be off every time i guarantee it

Old 09-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #12

Dry firing imop only helps with tensiong release practice on the trigger, thanx to what ive been shown i can count out ea,h lb of pressure as i pull the trigger

Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You guys are the best! I may not even have to spring for lessons. The hardest thing with all of this is I can castrate a mouse a 1k yards with my sniper rifle but it is completely different when shooting a smaller hand gun.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSpacco
You guys are the best! I may not even have to spring for lessons. The hardest thing with all of this is I can castrate a mouse a 1k yards with my sniper rifle but it is completely different when shooting a smaller hand gun.
Completely diffrent, smaller the barrel harder to aim

Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1922 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

hehe... there's a reason why that sniper rifle is so long! But I didn't think castration was the reason

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1922 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

I've been noticing that when I jerk the trigger the worst my trigger finger feels like it's trying to get involved helping resist recoil, like it's trying to grab the butt of the gun at the last moment. When I manage to put the round where it belongs, I'm focusing on the front sight enough to stop thinking about the trigger. I have trouble focusing my vision on the front sight sometimes (it remains blurry), but when I do get a crisp image of the front dot, the round goes where it belongs. Guess I get fascinated by the nice sharp dot and allow the bang to surprise me.

Nothing different about this than what everyone has told me in one way or another since I started shooting (about 1 year ago). Well, one important difference, my body is starting to detect and learn the differences. My mind "knew" all of this shortly after being told these things, but putting knowledge into practice is the hard part.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
I've been noticing that when I jerk the trigger the worst my trigger finger feels like it's trying to get involved helping resist recoil, like it's trying to grab the butt of the gun at the last moment. When I manage to put the round where it belongs, I'm focusing on the front sight enough to stop thinking about the trigger. I have trouble focusing my vision on the front sight sometimes (it remains blurry), but when I do get a crisp image of the front dot, the round goes where it belongs. Guess I get fascinated by the nice sharp dot and allow the bang to surprise me.

Nothing different about this than what everyone has told me in one way or another since I started shooting (about 1 year ago). Well, one important difference, my body is starting to detect and learn the differences. My mind "knew" all of this shortly after being told these things, but putting knowledge into practice is the hard part.
Exactly, putting advise into play and breaking bad habits is the hardest part. My trainer told me dont look at what ur shooting look at your front dot. Also this may help break the habit: hold the pistol with your left hand and make a fist with your right with your index finger straight and push pull the trigger and then after you get the fell of it apply the right hand. Also finger tip placement is important, i put the corner of the trigger close to my crevest of my first bender. Also thumb place ment is important rest your left thumb along the frame pointed down parallel with the barrel in tge direction your shooting and your right right behind but almost on top

Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #18

Your right thumb tip ahould be on you left thumb knuckel

Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig
Your right thumb tip ahould be on you left thumb knuckel
*should...

Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #20

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Good guide, just remember to flip it around if you are a lefty.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.