Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Shooting advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shooting advice

I just purchased a Ruger LCP 9 and notice I am shooting low and to the right. Wondering if anyone can provide some advice.
Could it be as basic as adjusting my trigger fingering or could it be a sight issue?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSpacco View Post
I just purchased a Ruger LCP 9 and notice I am shooting low and to the right. Wondering if anyone can provide some advice.
Could it be as basic as adjusting my trigger fingering or could it be a sight issue?
Try this one

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/diagnosis-handgun-inaccuracy-53591/

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would clear the weapon and do some dry fire exercises in the mirror. You will see the muzzle moving when you pull the trigger.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Dry fire can help. Also your Ruger is a pretty small gun, so felt recoil can be a lot stronger than with a full size gun. It's natural (but wrong) to increase how hard you are holding the gun as you pull the trigger. Tightening your other fingers at (or just before) the moment of discharge can pull the muzzle down and to one side (in your case the right).

I'm still struggling with that same problem, though I'm usually low and left. It does get better with practice. You can't hardly see yourself doing it since the recoil drives the muzzle back up and covers the pulling down action.

If you are anticipating (as I do) there's a good chance you won't see it during dry fire. You know when you dry fire that you won't be getting any recoil. So, you don't twitch. If you can get a friend at the range to load your magazine with a couple snap caps at random locations, you will see the twitch since there's no recoil to hide it. That helps with diagnosis, but it hasn't helped me with correcting the anticipation (yet).

Keep going, it will get better. By the way, if the Ruger is new, it probably is NOT the sights. Most decent handguns come pretty well adjusted. If you have a laser boresighter you can check it pretty easily.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Old 08-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
I am the Fanman

Liked 403 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 1

to correct anticipation slow down your trigger pull go slow and methodical thinking only on the front sight. that causes the point of fire to be a surprise change your timing a little everytime to keep yourself guessing. after a few mags like this you anticipate far less

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Print this out. It's mostly true.

Shooting Accuracy Target

Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I wanted to extend my thanks to all those who provided advice! I have taken the advise given and put it to good use.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #8

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I have that same gun but with a laser attached. Just practicing (dry firing) with the laser on shows how the gun moves around during trigger pull. It can move a lot - and it is due to me.... That laser is a good training tool - shows you what is going on during trigger pull.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #9

Liked 244 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSpacco
Ill give you the best damn advice anyone can give, if your right handed then ur right hand is just for the trigger hold the main of the wieght in ur left hand. Simple concept but hard to get it down. And just pull the trigger qith yohr right. After each shot pull the slack out so all u have to do is squezze light.
Your shoting down and to the right cause your trying to hold the wieght of the gun and pull the trigger qith the right hand. So when u pull the trigger yoyr pushing it right. I xant explain hand placement to qell but if you watch uspsa you xan ser theyre hand placement. My trainer showed me rhis and i can now do this

Name:  ForumRunner_20120915_031455.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  26.9 KB
Old 09-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #10

Liked 244 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3
to correct anticipation slow down your trigger pull go slow and methodical thinking only on the front sight. that causes the point of fire to be a surprise change your timing a little everytime to keep yourself guessing. after a few mags like this you anticipate far less
Yea focus on the front sight like you would when u read a book