Shooting the 40-Caliber Hi Power...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Shooting the 40-Caliber Hi Power...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting the 40-Caliber Hi Power...

Hello. I recently was able to shoot a borrowed 40-caliber Hi Power Standard Model that came with adjustable sights. The pistol was stock. Its owner had made no changes to it in any form or fashion.

The 40-caliber Hi Power I shot was this Standard Model that came from the factory with Millett adjustable sights. The trigger-pull measured 7-lbs.

The pistol fed, fired, ejected and extracted flawlessly and the slide never failed to lock open after the last round was fired. I made no adjustments to the rear sight not only because the pistol is not mine but because its owner had it pretty well "dialed in" himself. Shooting was done only at 15 yards due to my having a limited amount of time and other folks were using the 25-yard facilities.

Slow-fire 10-shot groups were fired at 15 yards using bullseye targets. My goal was only to shoot for group; I wanted to see if I could even approach the mechanical accuracy that the 40-caliber Hi Power possesses.

This Hi Power was fired with the following .40 S&W ammunition:

Winchester 180-gr. FMJ
Remington 165-gr. Golden Saber
Remington 180-gr. Golden Saber
Speer 180-gr. Gold Dot Hollow Point

I did not shoot the pistol very much, certainly not enough to amount to any determinant of durability or reliability. Less than 120 shots total were fired, all of it commercial factory ammunition. Ejected cases consistently landed 10 to 12 feet away and none exhibited any signs of excessive pressure.

Group sizes were similar with all of the ammunition fired in today's range session. I believe that the 40-caliber Hi Power has enough "built-in" accuracy for most of us. I know that it does for me.

Reliability was 100%.

Sixteen years ago I owned Browning Mk III in .40 S&W but soon sold the pistol. I simply preferred the 9mm in the Hi Power platform and while I shot a few 40-caliber Hi Powers over the years, none were mine and my times with them, sporadic. For this reason I had forgotten how comfortably the steel-frame Hi Power handles the forty's recoil.

Today's shooting session was more enjoyable than I envisioned and more comfortable than I remembered. Though I still have no desire for a 40-caliber handgun, were that to change I would definitely be looking for an FN or Browning Hi Power.

For those who might be interested, a more detailed report is here:

Range Report

Best and good shooting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2010, 02:32 AM   #2

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Impressive report SACamp, kudos.

I do likes me some BHPs!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

SA, excuse me if I name the part wrong, but the part that goes through the frame, that (I think) pulls the barrel down. I've seen on some Hi-Powers (in 9mm) that the piece would work loose. What is your impression on how it would hold up to the .40S&W?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #4

Hello. I think you are referring to the cam, the sort of oval-shaped steel insert visibible on both sides of the frame. The barrel rides on it and while not common, they have come loose and in some instances, broken. In forty-years of shooting Hi Power the only pistols I've actually seen with damaged cams (cracked) were in heavily-shot pistols using waaaaay too weak of recoil springs that should have been replaced thousands of shots earlier!

It can happen but I think it is the exception rather than the rule. Sadly, if it does occur, the fix is expensive.

I think it will hold up fine in the 40-caliber. The slide is heavier and a 20-lb recoil spring reduces rearward slide (and barrel) speed.

Best.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3061 Times on 1760 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Thanks. Yes, the ones I saw were in Europe that people used for IPSC. And without SAAMI, the loads did get a little hot.

Thanks Again

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the report. I also prefer the 9mm Hi Power.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Excellent detailed Range Report SACamp, and a damn nice BHP pistol to boot!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #8

Now thats a Blue-Ribbon Range Report!
I've wanted a BHP since I watched Beverly Hills Cop for the 100th time as a kid
I think It may be my college graduation present to myself since I'l prolly just get a vacuum cleaner or something from the family

Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Great report. Everyone should try shooting .40 from a full size steel gun. While I haven't shot a .40 BHP, I've owned 2 Para P16s and they were a lot of fun to shoot and very reliable. I for one would like to have a single stack 1911 in .40, Kimber made them for a time and I fella I know locally has one - but won't sell it to me...