Semi-Auto Pistol slide doesn't cock hammer..? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistol slide doesn't cock hammer..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

JPyle, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

That handgun works like a single action. When you pull the slide back manually to load, the hammer is cocked. The slide should cock the hammer each time you fire.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Does the slide lock back on the last round? It sounds like the recoil spring is not allowing the slide to come back far enough. Might be due to needing hotter ammo, Spring is too heavy, improper lube or dirt.The spring is binding and not allowing the slide to move properly. Let a gunsmith look at it. They should be able to find and solve the problem pretty easily.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Damn, ya learn something new everyday...the French made a .22lr pistol?

Anywho, I concur trying the CCI .22 ammo with a little more push and if it continues to do the same, take it to a gunsmith as stated. We have a few good ones here on the forum. But this sounds more like a "hands on" function/inspection/repair to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Might be a dumb question on my part as I don't know the gun but is it a double action only?
No, I found the papers for it, its not.

Last edited by PaulDano; 01-05-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Does the slide lock back on the last round? It sounds like the recoil spring is not allowing the slide to come back far enough.
The odd thing is that it does, so the slide is going back far enough to pull the hammer back for the next round, however, for whatever reason the hammer isn't staying back.

Last edited by PaulDano; 01-05-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Im no expert or gunsmith, but unless I'm missing something it sounds to me like it could be hammer follow.
The hammer is being cocked by the slide but the disconnecter or a worn sear is not allowing the hammer to stay back until the trigger is reset and pulled again.
If that's the case it's possible that it could go FA on you.

Have you tried to recreate the malfunction by hand(dry firing)?
If not
Make sure it is unloaded and there is no ammo in the area. Then check it again.
Point in a safe direction and squeeze the trigger, and keep holding it to the rear.
The hammer should drop.
While continuing to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the slide fully back and release the slide.
The hammer should remain cocked and you should have to release the trigger(you should hear/feel a soft click as it resets) Then pull the trigger again to get the hammer to fall.
If you hadn't tried this, it may clue you in to the source of the problem.
Worth a try

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 01-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
...it could be hammer follow.
Have you tried to recreate the malfunction by hand(dry firing)?

Point in a safe direction and squeeze the trigger, and keep holding it to the rear.
The hammer should drop.
While continuing to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the slide fully back and release the slide.
The hammer should remain cocked and you should have to release the trigger(you should hear/feel a soft click as it resets) Then pull the trigger again to get the hammer to fall.
I believe we've found the problem. I continue to hold the trigger after dry firing and pull the slide all the way back and the hammer is pulled back again, however, when I release the slide the hammer goes forward along with the slide. Thanks for the help.

I suppose the next question is how do I go about fixing this..? Should I take it to a gunsmith, or does this mean a part is broken that I should order and replace myself?

Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

It could be that the spring for the sear is weak or the sear and hammer were worked on by someone before you.

Recommend that you take it to a smith. You may want to check the firing pin after dry fire. Dry firing a .22 can flatten the tip and create other problems.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
It could be that the spring for the sear is weak or the sear and hammer were worked on by someone before you.

Recommend that you take it to a smith. You may want to check the firing pin after dry fire. Dry firing a .22 can flatten the tip and create other problems.
Thanks for the help!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 AM   #20

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I finally figured out the problem. The pistol is missing what's called a 'disconnector'. I'm not too smart when it comes to guns, so I didn't notice it was missing. According to the Internet, this pushes the trigger bar down so you have to release the trigger before you are able to shoot again. Apparently removing or modifying this piece usually makes semi-auto pistols full automatic, thankfully this has not happened to me. I'll be sure not to take it out to the range until I order and install this part.
Thanks again to everyone who helped. If anyone ever needs any info (such as the original papers that came with the gun), feel free to message me and I'll be glad to send them to you. Have a great day!