Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Semi-Auto Pistol slide doesn't cock hammer..? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/semi-auto-pistol-slide-doesnt-cock-hammer-36400/)

PaulDano 01-04-2011 03:51 AM

Semi-Auto Pistol slide doesn't cock hammer..?

My pistol (the French Unique Model 52 22 L.r.) is supposed to be semi-automatic. It is not. When a round in the chamber is shot the slide goes back and the empty round is released and a new round is put in the chamber, however, the slide does not go back far enough to pull back the hammer for the next round.
What causes this? Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know how to fix this or possibly what part I need to replace?
Thanks for your time!

CA357 01-04-2011 03:58 AM

I'm most definitely not a gun smith, but, if it were mine, the first thing I would do is replace the recoil spring. It sounds like it may not have enough power left in it to fully rack the slide.

Maybe one of the more expert members here can give you some other/better ideas.

PaulDano 01-04-2011 04:14 AM

Thanks for the reply CA357!
I was thinking this was probably the issue, I just wanted to get a second opinion.
If anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated! :)

MOSE 01-04-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDano (Post 414712)
My pistol (the French Unique Model 52 22 L.r.) is supposed to be semi-automatic. It is not. When a round in the chamber is shot the slide goes back and the empty round is released and a new round is put in the chamber, however, the slide does not go back far enough to pull back the hammer for the next round.
What causes this? Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know how to fix this or possibly what part I need to replace?
Thanks for your time!

I've had this problem on a couple of pistols, none a Unique though.
Pre war 1911 in .45 "National Match......and a French M-1935A in
7.62 Long. In the case of the .45 it seems a previous owner had
tried to get the trigger pull too light by filing on the full cock notch
in the hammer. A new hammer fixed it.

The 1935A suffered from about the same thing......It was a phospatte
finished WaffenAmt Marked pistol and had been poorly assembled.......
I sold this one because of its markings to a collector.......Suggest you
look at the hammer.

danf_fl 01-04-2011 07:38 AM

It cocks manually.
Is the recoil spring "binding" or installed backwards?
What ammo are you shooting?
Enough lube on the rails?

My PPK/s had the problem when new. Tried a box of high velocity and the thing would work (Stingers should not be used as the casing is different than standard LR).

Now that recoil spring has "loosened up" a bit and I keep it cleaned and oiled, I have no problems.

PaulDano 01-05-2011 01:55 AM

The recoil spring is not installed backwards.
I'm shooting 22 L.r. Ammo by Federal.
Im pretty sure theirs enough lube on the rails.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

danf_fl 01-05-2011 02:20 AM

I shy away from Federal's. Try a different brand.

PaulDano 01-05-2011 04:43 AM

Ill try a different brand the next time I pick up ammo. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

utf59 01-05-2011 03:19 PM

You might try some CCI Mini-Mags. They have a little more "oomph" than standard .22LR.

I don't know anything about your gun. If it's older, make sure it's OK to shoot higher-velocity loads.

Jpyle 01-05-2011 04:36 PM

Might be a dumb question on my part as I don't know the gun but is it a double action only?