Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Seeking Smaller Pistol With Built-On Clip For Holstering (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/seeking-smaller-pistol-built-clip-holstering-52971/)

ryevick 12-04-2011 03:32 AM

Seeking Smaller Pistol With Built-On Clip For Holstering

I am looking at maybe getting a smaller gauge .32 or 380 with a built-on clip. I am unclear on how the laws are in Georgia on this. If it is clipped/holstered it is considered legal and no concealed carry permit is required? Even if it is inside your back pocket for instance, as long as it's clipped. Is that right? That's what I had heard.

I am also debating on a .32 or 380. Which would be a more effective carry weapon? I know they are smaller gauge but I can see agreeing with something I heard someone say. "It is a smaller pistol but plenty effective and way more comfortable than having a 9mm strapped to your side, which translates to you will carry it more often." Makes sense.

Any suggestions on brands, etc on these? I know my brother has a Kel Tec .380 with a clip. I haven't seen it yet though.

trip286 12-04-2011 03:47 AM

My sister (is it funny that my phone auto corrected and said "disaster"?) Carries a Kel Tec .380 and really likes it. She's not real fond of the trigger pull, and the slide has bitten the web of her hand a few times. But, she enjoys carrying it, and has learned to avoid the slide bite, and has trained a lot to overcome the trigger pull. It also has the clip.

sweeper22 12-04-2011 05:13 AM

380acp is a giant leap forward from 32acp, and 9mm is equally significant leap forward from 380acp. 32acp is a pretty anemic caliber in my opinion. Ruger, Kahr, Kel-Tec, and Walther each offer excellent micro-compacts in 9mm and 380acp. Many of them have established excellent track records within the concealed carry community. S&W and Sig also offer outstanding micro 380s.

I'm certainly no expert on Georgia gun laws, but I have a hard time believing that a gun having a "carry clip" on it will in any way alter your responsibilities for proper carry licensing.

cswann1 12-04-2011 01:30 PM

^^ X2.

/10char

HOSSFLY 12-04-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryevick (Post 642886)
I am looking at maybe getting a smaller gauge .32 or 380 with a built-on clip.
Quote:

I am unclear on how the laws are in Georgia on this. If it is clipped/holstered it is considered legal and no concealed carry permit is required? Even if it is inside your back pocket for instance, as long as it's clipped. Is that right? That's what I had heard.
I am also debating on a .32 or 380. Which would be a more effective carry weapon? I know they are smaller gauge but I can see agreeing with something I heard someone say. "It is a smaller pistol but plenty effective and way more comfortable than having a 9mm strapped to your side, which translates to you will carry it more often." Makes sense.

Any suggestions on brands, etc on these? I know my brother has a Kel Tec .380 with a clip. I haven't seen it yet though.

You might (better) check the laws on that & NOT go by ""its what i heard" :confused:

jeffxc 12-04-2011 02:42 PM

Pistol clip-on

If you're looking for a clip to hold the pistol in a pocket or inside your waistband, you might look into the "clipdraw." They have a number for specific pistols, both auto loaders and revolvers, and a generic for almost any auto loading pistol. (Look up "clipdraw" on google.) I had one before I found a proper holster, and as an interim step they are fine. Be aware, though, that they do not have the security of a proper holster.

JonM 12-04-2011 04:05 PM

my two pennies: use a holster.

a money clip welded to the side of a gun does not keep errant fingers/objects/clothing from interacting with the trigger in a pocket/purse/waist band.

carrying an unholstered firearm is a recipe for disaster. it often leads to the gun going off wounding the owner or a bystander.

just because a clip is attached to a firearm does not bypass any ccw regulation that i have ever heard of. whomever told you that is not someone whose advice is well thought out

ryevick 12-04-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 643094)
You might (better) check the laws on that & NOT go by ""its what i heard" :confused:

really? :rolleyes:

HOSSFLY 12-05-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryevick (Post 643163)
really? :rolleyes:

I suddenly dont much care ;)

crispy500 12-05-2011 03:18 PM

A dude just killed himself in front of his four kids stuffing an un-holstered pistol in his pants.

My PF-9 came with a clip. Took it off.