Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Second handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Second handgun?

Hello,
I'm a new gun owner (Sig P229 .40cal) and I'm somewhat surprised by how much I enjoy shooting it. The main purpose for the FA is home protection and the range. I live in NJ so CCW is out of the question.
I'm thinking about getting a second handgun, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I though about a .22cal, .45cal., 9mm or
The .22 is cheap to buy and own, but I kinda like the recoil and feel I'm shooting a real gun - so that is looking unlikely now.
The .45 ammo is expensive and difficult to get so that's out.

For a 9mm, I'm thinking about the Glock 19 or another sig (P226). Any other suggestions?

Question number 2: Would it be simpler/better to just get another .40 cal, just to keep it consistent?

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #2

22s are very inexpensive to shoot. If you are like most of us this is a big issue the last 2 years. You may want to consider a 22 conversion for your 229. Lets you shoot the same gun (trigger) with the cheaper ammo.
As far as a 9mm goes, I am really liking the feel of the cz 75. It just feels good in my hand. I have heard nothing but goood reports about them on this and other sites.
Good luck.

"My thinker must be broken"

Old 02-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

For going out and poking holes in paper etc there is not much better than a 22. I'm not a fan of the 22 conversions but that's just me. It seems for the money you can just have a pretty nice 22 and not have to worry about taking things apart except to clean them. Plus heaven forbid you don't set it back up in the bigger caliber(for whatever reason) and you actually need the weapon for something. It's hard to deny the expense of ammo vs the fun if plinking with a decent 22 for me anyway.

But it comes down to what you want to shoot. Some people really don't get into 22's all that much. You shoot a 40, I have a 229 too and going from that to a 45 is an easy jump to make. The felt recoil of a 45 (at least for me) is not as snappy with a 45 and in my opinion easier to manage. A 9mm are pretty fun range guns too. The ammo is a little cheaper than a 40 and you can shoot a little more. The CZ's are pretty nice. there is a 357 Sig barrel for your 229 and you can use the same mags for either. Just tossing that out there.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

22's are cheap, accurate, and fun to plink with. A conversion kit is a solid idea, but I have a Ruger Mk III and I absolutely love it. Except when I have to take it apart.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-27-2010, 02:21 AM   #5

Liked 239 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 12

DoctorSig :
The Glock 19 is great to have in a gunfight ( for reasons mentioned on other threads ) but I'm not sure you will like it as a target gun. The ergonomics and trigger aren't up to the standards of the Browning HP, etc.

If you buy another Sig, at least you'll be used to its feel and operation...

I've heard good things about the Smith .22s and I know the Rugers to be good. If you buy a Ruger, buy a Thumb Saver at the same time.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
I've heard good things about the Smith .22s and I know the Rugers to be good. If you buy a Ruger, buy a Thumb Saver at the same time.
The Smith Model 22 is only so-so. I'd go with a Buckmark or Ruger any day. The Smith Model 41, on the other hand, is the sweetest little .22 in existence. It also costs 3 times as much.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

i have two dedicated .22's in pistol form. one is a manhurin walther .22 and theother is a sig mosquito. the mosquito is fun to shoot but the the trigger isnt so hot. the rest of my .22 pistols are conversion kits for my sig P220 and 1911. kimber kits dont work with all 1911's due to the crappy sight cuts kimber uses since they insist on using novak cuts on all their slides the sight overhangs the firing pin block and blocks mil spec hammers from working with the kit. the sig conversion works like a charm. at some point i am going to sell that kimber kit at a gunshow and buy a marvel or ceiner.

one of the huge benefits of a conversion is that it is NOT a firearm and can be shipped to your door without any special permits.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

Liked 1765 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

If you don't reload it's hard to beat a 22.
I have a Ruger 22/45. Great gun. But a little tricky to disasemble and reasemble. That is the only complaint I have about that gun. I used to be terrible about cleaning. (NOT ANYMORE) There were times when I must have put a couple thousand rounds though it without cleaning. Really reliable.

The only problem with a 22 is ammo shortages. It is getting better here now. But I went 6 months without seeing a single box anywhere. Check your local stores for stock before buying. The price has gone up. But even at $20 for 500, you can't buy anything else for that.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorSig View Post
Hello,
I'm a new gun owner (Sig P229 .40cal) and I'm somewhat surprised by how much I enjoy shooting it. The main purpose for the FA is home protection and the range. I live in NJ so CCW is out of the question.
I'm thinking about getting a second handgun, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I though about a .22cal, .45cal., 9mm or
The .22 is cheap to buy and own, but I kinda like the recoil and feel I'm shooting a real gun - so that is looking unlikely now.
The .45 ammo is expensive and difficult to get so that's out.

For a 9mm, I'm thinking about the Glock 19 or another sig (P226). Any other suggestions?

Question number 2: Would it be simpler/better to just get another .40 cal, just to keep it consistent?

thanks
If CCW is out of the question why not go with a Glock 17, or other full size 9mm. No reason to have a smaller gun that is harder to shoot unless you gotta conceal the thing. I dont have a problem carrying a Colt 1991 gov't or my commander every day....

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you alredy have a Sig, you may want to think about staying with Sig. That way if the S*** hits the fan, you don't have to stop and think about which weapon you have, just let your muscle memory take over.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....