Searching for a good, all-around 9mm - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Searching for a good, all-around 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung_T_Shirt View Post
What are the 226's going for?
New ones can be pricey, you can also look for CPO (certified pre-owned) and save hundreds. I have a CPO 228 and it's tough to tell it wasn't factory new...

Old 11-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #32

Liked 199 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
I love my M9 A1.
This is the way to go
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #33

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it's a 9mm, steel or aluminum frame, for range use then it's a Browning HP, or a CZ 75 (be it 75B, 75BD, SP-01,...).

The CZ in particular are reknown for their excellent and comfortable grips way before modular grips for smaller shooter hands became the rage.

I actually prefer the 75B over the more exotic SP-01. The 75B feels more compact and balanced in the hand. However, the SP-01 (esp the Shadow) is already tricked out for the range: fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear, no firing pin block makes the trigger pull very light.

Todd at Pistol-training.com recently trashed the CZ's in the article "Zed is not your friend" claiming they jam too much contrary to the observations of CZ owners including myself. Take the Pistol-training.com blog with a very light grain of salt since someone called out PT.com on it and mentioned he has a history of trashing brands that he isn't affiliated with and then quickly changes his opinion afterwards once he is affiliated with the brand. Is it true? I don't know and don't want to accuse anyone of anything. But I do know that CZ's have been around for 35 years and a lot of respected companies (including Tanfolio, Jericho, etc) continue to copy the design for a reason. Because it works and works well.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #34

Beretta 92FS w/ hi-cap mags!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

CZ's are good little guns. My friend has 2 and they both have never had a FTF in the thousands of rounds we have shot through them.

edit: he does take obsessivly good care of his guns though. He will clean them if they havent been cleaned in the past couple weeks, whether they where shot or not. So that may have something to do with it.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #36

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

I've kind of settled on some version of the CZ 75 b.
I'm curious about the various finishes. Those of you who own or have owned the various versions, I would love to hear your experiences.
Black Polycoat ($597 MSRP): How durable is it? I don't particularly care for the look of it. It looks really cheap to my eye, sort of like a Krylon job on a car. yes, it does the job, but it's still homely up close. However, if it's a durable finish I may be willing to work with it (if absolutely necessary.)
Satin nickel ($617 MSRP): Same question. If it's as durable (or more so) as the older nickel finishes it might be worth a look. Much easier on the eyes.
Apparently the Blued version has been discontinued since 08. How common were they? While I haven't exhausted all sources, they seem pretty uncommon on the used market. All other things being equal, I would prefer a blue one.
Stainless ($756 MSRP): Quite nice looking, but a pricey upgrade. Not sure if I'm willing to spend an extra $139 + on it. For my intended use, I don't actually need the added corrosion protection.
Note: MSRP prices are included to highlight the difference in finish prices. Aside from that, I understand they have very little bearing on reality.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 11-15-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You forgot the duotone like mine, blued on the slide with "satin nickel" on the frame. The satin nickel is one of those like it or puke on it looks; i didn't barf on mine. The blued slide on mine was neglected by the previous owner and has some minor discoloration in a few places (laid in damp drawer i'd bet); i plan to have the slide cerakoted in the future.

I hear the stainless is very nice.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 AM   #38

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I've kind of settled on some version of the CZ 75 b.
I'm curious about the various finishes. Those of you who own or have owned the various versions, I would love to hear your experiences.
Black Polycoat ($597 MSRP): How durable is it? I don't particularly care for the look of it. It looks really cheap to my eye, sort of like a Krylon job on a car. yes, it does the job, but it's still homely up close. However, if it's a durable finish I may be willing to work with it (if absolutely necessary.)
Satin nickel ($617 MSRP): Same question. If it's as durable (or more so) as the older nickel finishes it might be worth a look. Much easier on the eyes.
Apparently the Blued version has been discontinued since 08. How common were they? While I haven't exhausted all sources, they seem pretty uncommon on the used market. All other things being equal, I would prefer a blue one.
Stainless ($756 MSRP): Quite nice looking, but a pricey upgrade. Not sure if I'm willing to spend an extra $139 + on it. For my intended use, I don't actually need the added corrosion protection.
Note: MSRP prices are included to highlight the difference in finish prices. Aside from that, I understand they have very little bearing on reality.
Mmm...I dunno. True, the black polycoat isn't very pretty. It's like baked on enamel. Krylon paint isn't too far off as descriptions go but the coat is pretty thick.

Still, I would say it's no uglier than, say, Beretta's bruniton finish -- although Beretta's finish is a bit more glossy looking but not exactly exciting to look at either. CZ's polycoat is resilient to gun solvents too as I use both Hoppes, and Break Free, everytime I shoot it. Can't say if it's resilient to holster wear as I don't use one.

But, nope, who's kidding who? No one will ever mistake it for something like H&K's nitride finish.

Of course everything looks nicer in a nickel plate, or stainless...but regardless of the color, the CZ 75 (particularly the all steel models) are fantastic shooters.

Last edited by misterballistic; 11-16-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #39

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

While I admit that the black polycoat on the CZ 75B does at times look like a Krylon paint job, it actually holds up fairly well. There are a couple of nicks in the finish on the opposite side of the side stop as I had problems trying to pop it out the first couple of times breaking down the pistol (the standard "idiot scratch" most commonly found on a lot of first time CZ owner pistols I have discovered), but for the most part it has held up well. Personally, I never really had a problem with the black polycoat considering that I am not at all a fan of the satin nickel finish, and prefer stainless steel only on certain pistols. It really boils down to which finish is appealing to you. Remember, you are the one that will be shooting it.

Keep in mind that the actual prices of the CZ 75B are much lower than the MSRP that you have been posting. I purchased my CZ 75B brand new in April, 2008 for $409.00 (after taxes, background check, and transfer fee it ended up being $489.96). I have seen the satin nickel finishes go for about $30-$50 more of the $409 price tag, and about $50 to $100 for the stainless steel. I'd shop around before making a final purchase to find the best deal. If you really like the blued model, you shouldn't have any problems getting one used for a great price either. Aftermarket magazines are also easy to find and very affordable as well. The best ones to invest in are Mec-gar. A little food for though when looking for accessories for your pistol.

I also wanted to point out that one reason why the CZ 75 is held in such high regards in the eyes of several gun enthusiasts is because it is only one in a handful of pistols of the late 19th century and the entire 20th century that has stood the test of time and has made a major impression and/or breakthrough in innovation in small arms history and technology (other examples being the Luger, Mauser C96, Colt M1911, and Browning Hi-Power). I have yet to find one person at the range who is a fanboy of another pistol series that hasn't fallen in love with my CZ 75B when I let them shoot it. Overall, it is a great pistol and if anybody gives you crap about it, it is because they are afraid to admit that you just purchased a pistol that is equivalent to the quality of an $800+ pistol for half the price.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #40

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

The only criticism I would have is that the B, BD, and Omega models don't have the smoothest stock, out-of-the-box, double action pull compared to pistols like the Beretta 92FS, and Sigs.

The sole exception being the SP-01 which has a reworked trigger and no firing pin block which gives it an incredibly light pull.