Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Searching for a good, all-around 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2567 Times on 1285 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Default Searching for a good, all-around 9mm

The bug is biting again and I'm looking to fill in a hole in the collection. I have a number of other calibers (.380, .38/.357, 40 S&W, & .45acp). I went out looking at 9mms yesterday and I'm more up in the air than when I started. A few guidelines I have come up with:
1. Hammer. I want a traditional hammer. I have one striker fired gun. While I like it, I still prefer having a hammer.
2. Full size. I'm happy with what I have for carry guns at this time. I want it for a range gun with possible nightstand application.
3. Metal Frame preferred, but not absolutely mandatory. If presented with a Polymer frame that will work for me I will not rule it out.
4. Accurate. I want some thing that would be suitable for a service pistol match and other paper/steel use. Adjustable sights preferred.
5. Under $1000 US OTD. That's my absolute "no freakin way" ceiling. I have been looking in the $600 to $800 range and would prefer to stay there, if realistic.

All that being said, I have been looking very hard at SIGs. But I haven't eliminated HK, FN. There weren't any S&Ws on hand. While sort of odd, CZ was intriguing, sort of like the SAAB of the handgun world. Also, the Taurus 92 somethingish looked pretty decent for the money, anyone with experience with these things? Chime in.
(PLEASE, PLEASE no Taurus bashing! Just the facts or your experiences. I don't want to be responsible for a Taurus bashing thread)

I'm looking for some insights and/or ideas. Anything I should consider & haven't?

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

For a full-size, external hammer, metal frame, extremely accurate and reliable 9mm - it's hard to not think about the Sig P226...

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would also 2nd the Sig.

Gotta wonder where the hammer preference comes in though. If it is because it serves as a physical/visual indicator that the gun is cocked I would say go with an XD or XDm as these striker guns have the Striker Status Indicator to let you know that the gun is fully Condition 1 and ready to go.

I use it a lot myself as I set my XD-9 on the nightstand after unloading it, placing the round back in the magazine and putting the mag back in the gun in Condition 3. The reason for this is that I have kids and don't want the gun to be ready to fire if I'm sleeping deep and the kids come into the room in the morning.

When I get up I always put the gun in my holster on my belt but sometimes I'm tired and forgot whether I chambered a round or not. When I get to this point the Striker Status Indicator tells me what's what.

I'm a Realtor who sells Plymouth MI homes, I carry a Taurus 738 pocket pistol every day.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I like the Sig 226 as well. However there is always a need for a good Browning Hi Power.

FN was making a model that I believe was in your price for awhile. I think they still are called the MK III.

Browning is also offering several models at right around $1000 MSRP, less I am sure if you shop around.

As for either of these models versus a 92 copy it's not a fair comparison. There is nothing wrong with the 92 design, but it's not in the same league as the Sig and the Browning.

JD

Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sigs is an excellent guns, but they are also up there in price. I've been seeing these around lately.

My dad has one very similar to this in .45 and its been a really good, trouble free firearm. It has a hammer, ambi de-cock, it's single/double action, and has a nice trigger break in single action. Its also fairly cheep, a lot less than your $1000 ceiling. Just my $.02.

18161.jpg  

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Well, I have a cz75b that i like a lot, but i also enjoy using my buddies' XD9 and ruger Psomethingorother. My cz was lightly used and a decent deal, to me, at 400; i really enjoy shooting that pistol and have had no problems with it whatsoever. It seems as accurate as my abilities allow. My buddy's XD9 cost a bit more than the cz (was NIB) and shoots about as well for me personally; i do think the cz has a better trigger, especially with the hammer back. The Ruger was less than 300 (from memory), used very good condition, and shoots very well, probably about as good as the other two at my skill level. The Ruger's handle/body feel a bit "cheaper" than the other two to me, but Ruger has a good rep for quality so YMMV.

I recommend some time at the range with some rented or borrowed pistols to decide.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Browning Hi-Power, nuff said!

Between your luck and my stacked odds, I'll take my stacked odds...15+1 double stacked actually.

Need more? Read Gorknoids quote in my siggy below. VV

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2567 Times on 1285 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
I would also 2nd the Sig.

Gotta wonder where the hammer preference comes in though. If it is because it serves as a physical/visual indicator that the gun is cocked I would say go with an XD or XDm as these striker guns have the Striker Status Indicator to let you know that the gun is fully Condition 1 and ready to go.

I use it a lot myself as I set my XD-9 on the nightstand after unloading it, placing the round back in the magazine and putting the mag back in the gun in Condition 3. The reason for this is that I have kids and don't want the gun to be ready to fire if I'm sleeping deep and the kids come into the room in the morning.

When I get up I always put the gun in my holster on my belt but sometimes I'm tired and forgot whether I chambered a round or not. When I get to this point the Striker Status Indicator tells me what's what.
I have an XD40 Sub. It's a great gun.
I grew up in a revolver world, so I like the SA/DA theory of operation. Just a preference, not a neurosis
If I were to quit worrying about the hammer, I would likely get the XDm, it's got a pretty nice trigger.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

There are several good choices, most have already been mentioned.

Sig,
CZ-75
Browning Hi-Power,
Beretta 92

Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

SIGs are great and I loved them, but pick up an H&K USP and see how it feels. I think it has the very best decocker/safety (V1) in the business, and nothing is more reliable or made better, in my opinion. The other one would be the P30--doesn't have the same safety/decocker, but a great handgun in itself and a little smaller grip than the USP. My USP 9C is the most reliable and accurate handgun of the many 9mms I own.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"