Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The search for a 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Default The search for a 9mm

I have decided I want to add a 9mm to my collection for the ammo capacity and the availability of ammo.
I would really like to stay somewhere in the $400 range, really don't want to go over $450.
Looking for full size or compact, (do not want subcompact at the moment, that will come later) tupperware.
I like the Springfield XD, Ruger SR9, and even the Glock 17 and 19.
Only one out of those I've seen under 400 is the SR9, and used Glocks and XD's seem to cost more than their brand new counterparts
Has anyone seen any good deals lately? I sure can't find any on Gunbroker.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had a friend tell me his SR9 shoots just as well as his M&P9. Which says alot because the M&P handguns are pretty damn reliable and accurate. I also like the ergonomics on the SR9.

My vote goes to the SR9.

Second vote would be a Used Glock 17. I own Glock, I trust Glock with my life, as does thousands of police officers in the US.

I wouldn't get an XD, especially if it's up against a Glock. But thats just me, I could go on a say a list of pro's and con's of both guns, but that would most likely end in a thread war, so lets keep it peaceful.

My favorite place to shop would be Buds Gun Shop. Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop Theyve got some good deals on there. Also try Guns America www.gunsamerica.com

Last edited by indyfan; 01-12-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I sent you a PM regarding a GA site for buy/sell/trade...

Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I feel like I sound like a broken record anytime some is asking about 9mm in that price range, but check out a S&W M&P, $450-500 new and at least $100 less used

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks, NGIB. I'll check it out.

DrJason,
We had an M&P9 at the gun store where I work. It didn't feel right to me, but then again I didn't try out any of the other backstraps that came with it. I will keep it in mind.

For this particular firearm, I'm not brand specific, I'm just looking for a poly frame 9mm from a reputable manufacturer... for this purchase, best price wins.

Since I work at a gun store, I have handled all of the guns mentioned and then some.
I like the way they all feel in my hand for the most part (will have to try different backstrap on the M&P) I've even warmed up to the way a Glock feels... not the best grip, but not terrible either.

I noticed that Bud's Gun Shop has S&W Sigma 9mm's for about $289 if I remember correctly.
While I like the Sigma, and used to own one, I think I want to go with something a little easier to find mags and holsters for.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I've had a friend tell me his SR9 shoots just as well as his M&P9. Which says alot because the M&P handguns are pretty damn reliable and accurate. I also like the ergonomics on the SR9.

My vote goes to the SR9.

Second vote would be a Used Glock 17. I own Glock, I trust Glock with my life, as does thousands of police officers in the US.

I wouldn't get an XD, especially if it's up against a Glock. But thats just me, I could go on a say a list of pro's and con's of both guns, but that would most likely end in a thread war, so lets keep it peaceful.

My favorite place to shop would be Buds Gun Shop. Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop Theyve got some good deals on there. Also try Guns America Guns for Sale, Gun Classifieds, Gun Auctions, Shop for Guns at GunsAmerica
Please tell what's wrong with an XD? I own 2 xd's, an xdm, and a glock 27. I would put my xd's up against any glock. Never had a jam and are accurate as can be...I would and do trust both the xd and glock with my life...I don't see where one is better than the other...so please tell what is wrong with the xd. I want to hear your pros and cons.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #7

Likes Given: 291

Go with the xd! $446 at Bud's gun shop, you will not regret it! I have fired Glocks and do not like the grip angle at all. However, they are great guns if that is what works for you.

Countries are eaten up by the parties they favor, and ravaged by the one they oppose. Fathers and sons, sheath their swords in anothers bowels in the field, and their wives and daughters are exposed to rudeness and lust of ruffians at home.~PHILANTHROPOS

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd take the XD over the Glock for the same reasons I did a few years ago, namely grip angle, balance, sights, price, grip shape, ease of fieldstripping, backstrap safety, single action, goodies package, ambidexterous mag release and steel recoil spring rod. Aside from those things, they're about even.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 01-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Round chambered indicator, cocked striker indicator, and better breech design. And that's it. Oh, and the rifling. Yeah, that's all.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 01-13-2011, 04:31 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ease up you rabid XD fans. I'm not knocking down your product. I simply voiced my opinion. I choose Glock over XD, sorry if I like the grip angle and tenifered metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Round chambered indicator
Glocks got that too, last time I checked.

Last edited by indyfan; 01-13-2011 at 04:33 AM.