Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   The search for a 9mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/search-9mm-36841/)

General_lee 01-12-2011 10:19 PM

The search for a 9mm

I have decided I want to add a 9mm to my collection for the ammo capacity and the availability of ammo.
I would really like to stay somewhere in the $400 range, really don't want to go over $450.
Looking for full size or compact, (do not want subcompact at the moment, that will come later) tupperware.
I like the Springfield XD, Ruger SR9, and even the Glock 17 and 19.
Only one out of those I've seen under 400 is the SR9, and used Glocks and XD's seem to cost more than their brand new counterparts:confused:
Has anyone seen any good deals lately? I sure can't find any on Gunbroker.

indyfan 01-12-2011 10:40 PM

I've had a friend tell me his SR9 shoots just as well as his M&P9. Which says alot because the M&P handguns are pretty damn reliable and accurate. I also like the ergonomics on the SR9.

My vote goes to the SR9.

Second vote would be a Used Glock 17. I own Glock, I trust Glock with my life, as does thousands of police officers in the US.

I wouldn't get an XD, especially if it's up against a Glock. But thats just me, I could go on a say a list of pro's and con's of both guns, but that would most likely end in a thread war, so lets keep it peaceful. ;)

My favorite place to shop would be Buds Gun Shop. Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop Theyve got some good deals on there. Also try Guns America www.gunsamerica.com

NGIB 01-12-2011 11:43 PM

I sent you a PM regarding a GA site for buy/sell/trade...

DrJason 01-12-2011 11:50 PM

I feel like I sound like a broken record anytime some is asking about 9mm in that price range, but check out a S&W M&P, $450-500 new and at least $100 less used

General_lee 01-13-2011 01:37 AM

Thanks, NGIB. I'll check it out.

DrJason,
We had an M&P9 at the gun store where I work. It didn't feel right to me, but then again I didn't try out any of the other backstraps that came with it. I will keep it in mind.

For this particular firearm, I'm not brand specific, I'm just looking for a poly frame 9mm from a reputable manufacturer... for this purchase, best price wins.

Since I work at a gun store, I have handled all of the guns mentioned and then some.
I like the way they all feel in my hand for the most part (will have to try different backstrap on the M&P) I've even warmed up to the way a Glock feels... not the best grip, but not terrible either.

I noticed that Bud's Gun Shop has S&W Sigma 9mm's for about $289 if I remember correctly.
While I like the Sigma, and used to own one, I think I want to go with something a little easier to find mags and holsters for.

USMC-03 01-13-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 421212)
I've had a friend tell me his SR9 shoots just as well as his M&P9. Which says alot because the M&P handguns are pretty damn reliable and accurate. I also like the ergonomics on the SR9.

My vote goes to the SR9.

Second vote would be a Used Glock 17. I own Glock, I trust Glock with my life, as does thousands of police officers in the US.

I wouldn't get an XD, especially if it's up against a Glock. But thats just me, I could go on a say a list of pro's and con's of both guns, but that would most likely end in a thread war, so lets keep it peaceful. ;)

My favorite place to shop would be Buds Gun Shop. Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop Theyve got some good deals on there. Also try Guns America Guns for Sale, Gun Classifieds, Gun Auctions, Shop for Guns at GunsAmerica

Please tell what's wrong with an XD? I own 2 xd's, an xdm, and a glock 27. I would put my xd's up against any glock. Never had a jam and are accurate as can be...I would and do trust both the xd and glock with my life...I don't see where one is better than the other...so please tell what is wrong with the xd. I want to hear your pros and cons.

AWDeanSr 01-13-2011 03:38 AM

Go with the xd! $446 at Bud's gun shop, you will not regret it! I have fired Glocks and do not like the grip angle at all. However, they are great guns if that is what works for you.

gorknoids 01-13-2011 04:17 AM

I'd take the XD over the Glock for the same reasons I did a few years ago, namely grip angle, balance, sights, price, grip shape, ease of fieldstripping, backstrap safety, single action, goodies package, ambidexterous mag release and steel recoil spring rod. Aside from those things, they're about even.

gorknoids 01-13-2011 04:21 AM

Round chambered indicator, cocked striker indicator, and better breech design. And that's it. Oh, and the rifling. Yeah, that's all.

indyfan 01-13-2011 04:31 AM

Ease up you rabid XD fans. I'm not knocking down your product. I simply voiced my opinion. I choose Glock over XD, sorry if I like the grip angle and tenifered metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 421370)
Round chambered indicator

Glocks got that too, last time I checked.