Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > scope suggestions for a Ruger Mark III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16816 Times on 9745 Posts
Likes Given: 43873

Default scope suggestions for a Ruger Mark III

okay, i'm looking for suggestions and input on a scope for my Ruger 22/45 Mark III pistol. price and why you chose it for your pistol. thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6108 Times on 3700 Posts
Likes Given: 6913

My Mark II has a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 X 32 scope on it. It is zeroed at 50 yards. It cost around $160.00. Why did I choose this particular scope? Because someone WAAAYYY more experienced suggested it. It works well and it is so much fun to shoot this gun.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My Mark II has a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 X 32 scope on it. It is zeroed at 50 yards. It cost around $160.00. Why did I choose this particular scope? Because someone WAAAYYY more experienced suggested it. It works well and it is so much fun to shoot this gun.
thanks WOC, i knew i could count on you for some info on this! you helped push me over the edge to buy it in the first place, as i had been wanting one for a long time.

maybe JonM will tell me how to make the mods to my Mark III he made to his?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6108 Times on 3700 Posts
Likes Given: 6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thanks WOC, i knew i could count on you for some info on this! you helped push me over the edge to buy it in the first place, as i had been wanting one for a long time.

I'm sure Jon will. Jon sure knows his stuff and was very kind and generous to me when he sold me his Mark II. He also is a great shooting buddy. I really must get up to Wisconsin before it gets too cold to shoot. When I went shooting with Jon last time, it was HOTTER THAN HADES.

Actually, it was Stalkingbear who helped me pick out a scope and who zeroed it in. Bear is incredibly gun knowledgable and very kind and patient in explaining things. I have been to visit him and his family twice now. I can ask him a whole day's worth of questions and he never tires of me or loses his patience.

I know someone is going to come along and ask what you are going to use the gun for. That will help you decide on a scope. I mostly just target shoot but I have been thinking a little.......just a tiny little bit.......about maybe hunting some small game.

Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING YOU COULD COUNT ON ME FOR SOME INFO. I am so very new to guns and to think I could actually help someone instead of asking all the questions makes me feel wonderul. And yes, my Mark II is a very fun gun to shoot and dress up.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thanks again WOC, i appreciate your input, it is always helpful. most of my shooting with mine will mainly just backyard target shooting, and my eyesight is getting worse as i get older. i have to wear bifocals and am having a hard time getting a good sight picture wearing them. so i am thinking that a scope will help me be a little more accurate with it. might have to break down and buy some no line bifocals! i don't have as much a problem shooting my larger caliber pistols as i do with the Mark III for some reason.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Sure. I can get my camera out tonite or thisweekend and do a write up if you want. But to get the most reliability you need to buy a few parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

What's your intended use for the pistol?
I originally fitted a 2X Leupold to mine. It is about 25 to 30 years old. It did the job just fine. Later, I fitted a cheap BSA reflex red dot. It works great. I use it on rimfire night at the pin shoots.
Truthfully, most reasonable optics will work well.
Optics are best decided by application.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)