Sccy
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Sccy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default SCCY: Good bang for the buck?

I've been looking at these for quite some time as a new carry pistol. I love my 92FS Compact Inox to death but it can be cumbersome to carry at times because of it's large size.

These pistols are relatively new to the market but from the people I have talked to about them they seem to love them. For the price you sure as heck can't beat them. Most expensive model is $250 or some. A local gun store has a special on one of the models for $218. The size is pretty nice for what little time I held it in my hand. Of course, that's subject to change if I actually fire and carry before buying or after buying.

Does anyone have one? If so, what are you thoughts on this firearm?

Last edited by OldGunJunkie; 10-26-2014 at 12:41 AM.
MrShotty Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

You can use Google to search for reviews. I am sure one or two people own a SCCY pistol. But you may not get a large enough response to make a good decision.

Lots of mouse guns malfunction because you the shooter has a poor grip. I have a Kel Tec that is very grip sensitive. I have seen other plastic mouse guns that one had to grip the gun properly or the gun would malfunction.

I would try to shoot one. Ask your friend to borrow their gun. Over the years I have learned to like pistols by shooting them, not because it is a good bargain. You can get a Ruger LC9 with a laser for $300. The price being a bargain is relative.

Another issue is resale value. I know you don't buy guns to sell them but resale value is nice. You will never get a good price for an SCCY pistol. Many people have never heard of SCCY.

Last edited by John_Deer; 10-10-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #3

Liked 204 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would also check and see how much extra mags are and if their are any holsters that fit.
I bought a Bersa 380 a while back and loved it so much I bought a Bersa 9mn a couple weeks later. Only gripe I have is that xtra mags are over 50 bucks and I had to try out several holsters before I finally found one that worked.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The SCCY is hardly a mouse gun. 9mm double-stack 10-round magazine.

I've owned mine for almost 1 1/2 years and I like it a lot.

It is my EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 10-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #5

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesBang View Post
The SCCY is hardly a mouse gun. 9mm double-stack 10-round magazine.

I've owned mine for almost 1 1/2 years and I like it a lot.

It is my EDC.
There is a vague category of small handguns that are both loved and hated throughout the world of shooting. They are called “mouse guns.” Rumor has it that the term “mouse gun” was coined by Massad Ayoob. It does not refer to firearms that are specialized for hunting small rodents or shooting computer accessories. Regardless of the origin of the term, it refers to small, weak caliber handguns that were designed with concealment as a priority, rather than “knockdown power.”

A 9mm pistol generates about the same amount of energy as a 22 wmr rifle. One can easily put a SCCY pistol in their pocket. It meets all definitions of a mouse gun.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9482 Times on 5121 Posts
Likes Given: 19653

I would say pocket gun, not mouse gun.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #7

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

My daughter had one. She said it would not function. Constant jams. She returned it to the dealer and exchanged it for another of the same gun. She said that one did the same thing. She returned it again and got something completely different. She is happy with what she ended up with. Not sure what she finally got. I believe she was limp wristing. I read reviews on line. They seemed mostly positive. So I assumed it was shooter error. She did not tell me until it was all said and done. Her idiot boy friend took her.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I "could" put the SCCY in my pocket. It would not be very useful as a carry piece if I did.

Did you know that the FBI is switching back to 9mm?

Old 10-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #9

Liked 2181 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesBang View Post
I "could" put the SCCY in my pocket. It would not be very useful as a carry piece if I did.

I don't know why you would say that. I pocket carry in a pocket holster just about every day. I can draw from my pocket just as fast as most people can draw from a regular belt holster. And the nice thing is if you are a little nervous about a situation you can have your hand in your pocket with your gun ready to draw and no one is the wiser. If you stand with you hand on your gun ready to draw from a belt holster everyone will know you are armed.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #10

Liked 126 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

My CPX2 has nearly 700 rounds thru it and has been reliable. It is my carry gun.

The CPX has a long, somewhat heavy trigger but it is smooth and has a crisp break. The long reset requires a little getting used to, which doesn't take long to learn. Think DA revolver trigger and you've got it made. The gun comes with two 10 round magazines.

It weighs 15 oz. empty, so the recoil is a bit snappy yet quite manageable. The 3-dot sights are easy to see making getting a quick sight-picture easy.

It is about the same size as a Glock 26. Fitting in a pocket is up to the owner. However as an IWB carry pistol, it is a perfect size.

Note: most of the bad reviews on the SCCY are older models not the new generation models.

Last edited by qwiksdraw; 10-15-2014 at 10:15 AM.