Scary! I very nealy used my Colt on someone tonight! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Scary! I very nealy used my Colt on someone tonight!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Glad everyone is okay!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #12

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'm not sure that's true. A single-action trigger is a lot more sensitive than a safe-action GLOCK trigger, once the 1911 safety is off.

At the range I:

-Hold my pistol in ready position in center-chest, two-handed
-Snick off the safety as my hands extend to fire
-Fire 2 or 3 shots
-Snick on the safety as my hands return to ready position

-REPEAT ad nauseam

I hope I follow this protocol if I am in the same situation as you were, tidal. In my neighborhood, if I even hear a knock on the door I am grabbing for my pistol. This Christmas, with all the UPS deliveries, it has been a busy time for my handgun.
Damn Chris, time to move.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm glad you didn't have to pull the trigger, but i am also glad that you had a gun in hand in time to save your life, had it been other than a lost person.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I had a situation like this my first night at a hotel in Chico, Ca.

Just joined a new company and they put me up in a motel. For those that don't know, for the most part, motels have doors that lead to outside walkways while Hotels have hallways to protect from the elements. As a common, general rule of the thumb.

It's about 2200 on a Thursday night and I had go to town that morning, went to the new office, all the usual rot, so while I wasn't tired, I wasn't wide awake either. I also didn't know the town, other than it had a large illegal immigrant worker community and it was home of Chico State, one of Playboy's Top Ten Party Schools.

That was about all I knew.

So, my door gets the "Holy Thunder Police" banging on it and the guy on the outside is yelling "Let me in you Effer" at about a volume just under the reasonable volume needed to communicate at a rock concert, with the speech pattern of one I would assume had been drinking.

Out came the Sig I was carrying at the time, hammer back ( weapon has no external, manual safety ) finger along the slide and I went to the door with it about one foot to the left of the jam/knob side of the door.

Guy is outside hammering and yelling, so I place my foot ( bare, stupid-stupid ) against the bottom of the door about two or three inches in and crack the door to yell back at the guy.

About that second he hits the door pretty good again and it rams up on my foot, tearing skin and thoroughly pissing me off.

He looks at me, and now I am cursing him and his entire family tree, and suddenly gets very apologetic ( he hasn't seen the weapon ).

It is now obvious that 1) he has the wrong motel room and 2) he is a bit past "been drinking' but was a delightfully happy drunk and was just looking for the room that he had arranged for him and his buddies.

He apologized about a dozen times and he then went down a few doors and got right into the room he had rented. No need for the weapon, he never saw the weapon, but I sure felt better HAVING the weapon as I was getting ready to open the door.

Tidal, I think you handled the situation pretty well, but as has been pointed out, checking out who was at the door MIGHT have been a good idea. In my case, had that cheesy motel lock allowed this guy in, I might have had more notion to put my finger inside the trigger guard and see what happened from there.

JD

Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok some clarification here.......because you all asked some valid things

First, it was 1030 at night, so it was indeed very unusual in the first place, especially on a week day.........although, some people do work later etc.

As far as the paranoia goes, if the person had just knocked in the first place, then yeah drawing a gun would be paranoid : ) However, they were twisting the knob and banging, which I thought, in that split second, was him kicking the door.

This apartment complex is relatively safe from what I understand, but, I have heard 1 or 2 cases about workers using keys to get into the house to steal people's stuff, that's another thing that freaked me out, because, the rattling could have been someone putting in a key, and sorry to say this, worker or not, he would have been dead if he came into my place, and, knowing several cops in my personal life, state laws back the use of deadly force when someone just enters your house........especially in the dark, when they could have had a weapon. In that situation, I don't think it's fair of anyone to expect me to question the person coming into my place, I'd rather be judged by someone, then carried away in a body bag.

However, I must say, that had I shot someone over him going into the wrong apartment, though I doubt I'd end up with any criminal charges, it would be devastating to me, cause I absolutely do not want to take anyone's life(glad I had my door locked, cause it gave me a few seconds to think). Likewise, since there is a porch light that provides fairly good illumination, and I saw was he was not armed, I would not have shot him unless he made any funny moves that would imply he was drawing a weapon, or moving to attack me. And, most certainly, I wouldn't open up on the guy through the door : )

As far as the safety questions go about removing the thumb safety by instinct, I don't fault myself for that one, I think it was totally appropriate given the situation. Also, my finger was in the trigger guard, but not on the trigger. I was in a kneeling position, and believe it or not, my hands were very steady(though my legs were a little shaky and my heart was racing). And I am not sure where the whole light trigger pull comes from to be honest with you guys. The Argentine does not have a light trigger pull at all. If it was a Wilson CQB or a Nighthawk, I would understand the concern. I would venture to say that, even without the safety on, the gun is not more dangerous then any glock or sig.......however, this could be just me, because I've been shooting 1911's since I was around 9 years old.....

Thank you for the input and concerns guys

Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6724 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
As far as the safety questions go about removing the thumb safety by instinct, I don't fault myself for that one, I think it was totally appropriate given the situation. Also, my finger was in the trigger guard, but not on the trigger. I was in a kneeling position, and believe it or not, my hands were very steady(though my legs were a little shaky and my heart was racing). And I am not sure where the whole light trigger pull comes from to be honest with you guys. The Argentine does not have a light trigger pull at all. If it was a Wilson CQB or a Nighthawk, I would understand the concern. I would venture to say that, even without the safety on, the gun is not more dangerous then any glock or sig.......however, this could be just me, because I've been shooting 1911's since I was around 9 years old.....

Thank you for the input and concerns guys
taking the safety off was totally the right thing to do. glock/xd/m&p triggers are about the same as a standard 1911 trigger in regards to weight. they are a little longer pull but its about the same amount of force.

personally im not a fan of light triggers on defensive ccw guns. they can get pulled by accident if clothing snags or gloves are being worn during draw. the 1911 in my opinion is light years ahead in safety of the fire controls of striker fired pistols with the exception of the HK P7 squeeze cocker. that manual safety can be left on when taking the rig off in the evening or putting it on and disengaged only when the possibility of threat is present.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #17

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidalforce79 View Post
However, I must say, that had I shot someone over him going into the wrong apartment, though I doubt I'd end up with any criminal charges, it would be devastating to me, cause I absolutely do not want to take anyone's life(glad I had my door locked, cause it gave me a few seconds to think).
Thats extremely optimistic of you. I rarely think youd be correct.

This would have been an innocent victim, not attempting to perpetrate a crime. I think youd catch time. Especially for not ID'ing your target.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Thats extremely optimistic of you. I rarely think youd be correct.

This would have been an innocent victim, not attempting to perpetrate a crime. I think youd catch time. Especially for not ID'ing your target.
If he shot accurately enough, there wouldn't really be anybody to challenge his version of events. IOW, Dead men tell no tales.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #19

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Tidal lives in New Mexico. Anybody know if NM has a Castle Doctrine law in force? If so, the occupant/owner has very wide latitude in using force to protect themselves from an intruder.

And, no, I'm not in a bad neighborhood. But there is a LOT of random foot traffic through our street (it is a good shortcut) and you just never know. Better safe than sorry. I hear a lot about people knocking nicely, smiling at the peephole, then pushing the door open and robbing you when you open. In that case, one had better already be holding a weapon (like JD in his Chico example).

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #20

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Default glad you are ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
glad your ok and good to see you got the right instincts automatically flicking the safety off
+100000 good job