Scary! I very nealy used my Colt on someone tonight!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Scary! I very nealy used my Colt on someone tonight!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Scary! I very nealy used my Colt on someone tonight!

So, I was sitting in my apartment, in front of the computer tonight...when, I heard a sound at my door......it was the sound of the door knob being frantically wiggled! I heard the sound of banging on the door....the adrenaline started pumping, my heart started racing. I went to the side of the bed and grabbed my Argentine, loaded with hydroshocks. My legs started shaking so I keeled outside my bedroom door, and aimed at the front door. I didn't even realize it at the moment, but, I had instinctively clicked off the thumb safety. Finally, the shaking and slamming stopped and I heard a knock.....turns out, the guy had went to the wrong apartment building and was trying to get into his friends house.....I talked to him at the door(closed) and he went away apologizing.......wow, Im glad I had my door locked, cause if he came in, I probably would have shot him...........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2010, 04:47 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

That sure raised the pucker factor for ya. Glad you didnt have to use it but glad you had it to use.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
That sure raised the pucker factor for ya. Glad you didnt have to use it but glad you had it to use.
Exactly, this proves, without a doubt, that having a gun is a good thing, I would have dropped him before he had a chance to hurt me......but, that being said, I want a big dog too : )

Old 12-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

They make a product you hang on the door and when someone turns a know or disturbs the door it sets off a loud angry dog bark.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

glad your ok and good to see you got the right instincts automatically flicking the safety off

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tidal! A little paranoid?

What time of the night are we talking about and have there been instances where break ins have occurred in your complex? Good reactions but, DUDE; did you think to call out "Who is it!"

When I come off safety, it is deliberate. I want to know the condition of my weapon. Guess I've never been so scared that mindless automatic has clicked in.

Glad you're alright, that it was nothing and you didn't shoot the guy through the door!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7383 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 9133

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Tidal! A little paranoid?

What time of the night are we talking about and have there been instances where break ins have occurred in your complex? Good reactions but, DUDE; did you think to call out "Who is it!"

When I come off safety, it is deliberate. I want to know the condition of my weapon. Guess I've never been so scared that mindless automatic has clicked in.

Glad you're alright, that it was nothing and you didn't shoot the guy through the door!
This was my thinking, too, but I am so new to guns I don't really know what protocol should be followed. I, too, thought maybe you should make sure it's not someone you know pranking you or a family member before you take the safety off the gun. Though I have never been in that situation so I'm not sure how valid my comment is.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

safety off on a 1911 is no diff than a glock or revolver or any other DA pistol with the safety off.

i grab my 1911 when i hear the cats chasing each other at 3am sometimes till i figure out whats going on.

its a good life saving reaction. long as you dont over react

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
safety off on a 1911 is no diff than a glock or revolver or any other DA pistol with the safety off.
I'm not sure that's true. A single-action trigger is a lot more sensitive than a safe-action GLOCK trigger, once the 1911 safety is off.

At the range I:

-Hold my pistol in ready position in center-chest, two-handed
-Snick off the safety as my hands extend to fire
-Fire 2 or 3 shots
-Snick on the safety as my hands return to ready position

-REPEAT ad nauseam

I hope I follow this protocol if I am in the same situation as you were, tidal. In my neighborhood, if I even hear a knock on the door I am grabbing for my pistol. This Christmas, with all the UPS deliveries, it has been a busy time for my handgun.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #10

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Well...I just saw the remake of True Grit last night...and as Rooster Cogburn said.... "...well if it ain't loaded and cocked it can't shoot now, can it?"