Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Savage 1907 or...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Savage 1907 or...?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Savage 1907 in .32ACP for $325. A friend has it and although I haven't seen it yet, his word is good and it's in pretty nice shape. It takes a 10 round mag which is a plus.

He also has a decent 1903 Colt in .32ACP which I can pick up for $400.

Money is tight right now, so I have to scrape up the money. But he's in no hurry, so I have some time to do that.

I've always wanted a Colt 1903, it's a classic. But the Savage has larger capacity which I think would be a plus for such a small caliber.

I've also been thinking about picking up another Bersa Thunder 380 or maybe a CZ82 or possibly a Makarov. I can't afford a Walther.

I guess I'm wanting a pocket size semi auto. I had a Bersa and it was outstanding and I prefer .380 over .32.

Would you fella's give me some pros and cons and feedback in general?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 09-04-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #2

Liked 7548 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Both very sweet pocket pistols. The Colt will have a greater demand and collector's value, all other things being equal.

Used to load a plinking load for my "32 smokeless rimless" using a single pellet of buckshot for a gallery load.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Love em both, but that Savage is the better value. The Colt's are great carry guns due to the slim profile, though.

Either one will do nicely.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #4

Yeah, the Colt would be my first choice, but the Savage is definitely different. I don't know if .32ACP is much worth carrying as a defensive round.

Sgt. Miller just picked up a Tokarev and I've been toying with the idea of one of those as well. 7.62x25 is a pretty screaming round and ammo's dirt cheap compared to .32 or .380. They're kind of ugly compared to the 1903.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hard to find that many Savage pistols. All the same if money is tight I would pass on both and wait till a snub nose S&W 38 shows up, anything less is a chance at best for self defense. Save your money and only buy what you know will stop the bad guy.

Sorry I expect this was of no help at all with the question ask.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 AM   #6

Actually, I have a S&W Model 37 Airweight .38 in my waistband right now.

I just kind of want a pocket size semiauto.

I guess I have GAS. (gun acquisition syndrome) I've had to sell off almost every firearm that I had due to financial difficulties. Some of the guns I had to sell would bring a tear to a strong man's eyes.
We're catching up a bit now and I have the bug. I also need a bolt gun in .30-06. I kind of want an '03.

Last edited by CA357; 09-05-2009 at 03:29 AM.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I had a double stack hi-cap duo-tone Bersa Thunder 380, and is an oustanding gun, reliable, concealable, and with a good value.... for something more concealable you can watch the single stack version wich is popular in the states.
To me the Bersa Thunder 380 deserves a try...

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #8

I had a Bersa Thunder 380 single stack Asmel and I liked it a bunch. I can't do anything right now, money's still tight. But very soon...

Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Actually, I have a S&W Model 37 Airweight .38 in my waistband right now.

I just kind of want a pocket size semiauto.

I guess I have GAS. (gun acquisition syndrome) I've had to sell off almost every firearm that I had due to financial difficulties. Some of the guns I had to sell would bring a tear to a strong man's eyes.
We're catching up a bit now and I have the bug. I also need a bolt gun in .30-06. I kind of want an '03.
GAS has no cure, and the support groups that have been set up to typically end up in heated debates and at times gun fire (at the range).

Sorry for you loss brother, then again I wish I had a snuby 38 and you have one of the best

I have WAG (want more guns) but can't afford the habbit. No cure insight

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.