Saftey Sally - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Saftey Sally

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverb92 View Post
Can anyone humor me on the subject? Lol
I'm a safe person myself but many peers are just infuriated when they hear "safety Sally" why is that? ?de02
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Safety Sally just sounds like a real Debbie Downer.
This ^
Safety Sally just sounds almost like a derogatory term. Almost like just a nice way of calling someone a range Nazi. Especially when directed towards a man. It's a feminine adjective. When you direct it towards a man, is almost as if you're calling them a sissy little girl, insulting their masculinity and implying they aren't tough and not willing to live "on the edge".

Stupid? Yep. Understandable? To me, yep. There are more... Flattering... Ways to talk of someone's stringent adherence to safe practices.

"man, I like how C3 only keeps one type of powder out while reloading. That's a man that ain't likely to ever deserve a Darwin award."

There are also ways of pointing out someone being silly on safety practices.

"hey Billy Joe, your idea of making the dump truck drivers wear a hi-vis vest is kinda redundant, don't ya think? They never get out of the truck, and if they don't have it on when they get here, then driving the truck while trying to get it on could be even more dangerous..."

Just like the saying, "it's not what you say, is how you say it", safety sally is oftentimes used in a slightly derogatory fashion.


__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashua,NH
Posts: 57
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Perhaps because some folks are "conscientious" about safety, and some are "fanatical."

An NRA personal protection instructor asked a police Captain to teach the one hour block concerning the legalities of self/home defense. he asked the captain to please wear his uniform fot trhe effect.

When the captain arrived, prepared to teach the class, the instructor told him that NRA safety rules did not allow loaded firearms in the classroom. He actually asked this uniformed captain to leave his service weapon in his car.

Can you say FANATIC?
I certainly agree that this was over the top, but cut the guy a little slack. He was probably remembering the video which I know is posted on here somewhere where a DEA Agent (?) was giving a gun safety talk in a classroom and shot himself in the foot. Being a LEO doesn't mean you can't make a safety mistake.


__________________
RichNH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,441
Liked 8714 Times on 5038 Posts
Likes Given: 11330

Default

OK, everybody listen up now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SHbJjhjxJRw

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,949
Liked 6355 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 5930

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNH View Post
I certainly agree that this was over the top, but cut the guy a little slack. He was probably remembering the video which I know is posted on here somewhere where a DEA Agent (?) was giving a gun safety talk in a classroom and shot himself in the foot. Being a LEO doesn't mean you can't make a safety mistake.


That's true. But folks have come to expect a uniformed officer to be armed.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
Winston Churchill



War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RustyShackleford101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default

Generally I think, that any gun you are storing shouldn't be loaded. But it's fine to have a loaded defensive gun in the home, If you are smart. Also I hate when people bash Glocks as unsafe. They have 3 safeties! Just because there is no button to push to turn the gun " off" doesn't make it dangerous. Plaxico Burris was stupid, btw.

__________________
RustyShackleford101 is offline  
locutus Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,949
Liked 6355 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 5930

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 View Post
Generally I think, that any gun you are storing shouldn't be loaded. But it's fine to have a loaded defensive gun in the home, If you are smart. Also I hate when people bash Glocks as unsafe. They have 3 safeties! Just because there is no button to push to turn the gun " off" doesn't make it dangerous. Plaxico Burris was stupid, btw.
I kinda disagree about storage. ALL of my weapons are fully loaded at all times. When I open the safe, I KNOW, that every single weapon is loaded and ready to fire.

I am therefore never the least bit tempted to "play" with them.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
Winston Churchill



War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
locutus is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 279
Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

I kinda disagree about storage. ALL of my weapons are fully loaded at all times. When I open the safe, I KNOW, that every single weapon is loaded and ready to fire.

I am therefore never the least bit tempted to "play" with them.
Why do you have them all loaded..? just curious
__________________
lfcshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RustyShackleford101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

I kinda disagree about storage. ALL of my weapons are fully loaded at all times. When I open the safe, I KNOW, that every single weapon is loaded and ready to fire.

I am therefore never the least bit tempted to "play" with them.
If you take them out of the safe do you unload them?
__________________
RustyShackleford101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,949
Liked 6355 Times on 3551 Posts
Likes Given: 5930

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcshooter View Post
Why do you have them all loaded..? just curious

That way, there's never any doubt. I always treat every weapon as if it was loaded because they really are.

Many years ago, I was in bed sound asleep when the dispatcher called and said to come to work because of an emergency. I jumped up, put on a uniform, and went in. I spent 9 hours in a patrol car that night and morning.

When I got home, I took my service revolver out of the holster, and opened the cylinder to unload it. It wasn't loaded!

That scared the crap out of me so badly, I've never had an unloaded weapon around since.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
Winston Churchill



War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Last edited by locutus; 03-04-2013 at 10:49 PM.
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RustyShackleford101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

That way, there's never any doubt. I always treat every weapon as if it was loaded because they really are.
That's good. I hate when I see guys aiming a gun in a bad place or putting their finger on the trigger because it " isn't loaded".


__________________
RustyShackleford101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Question about saftey on S&W M&P northhike General Handgun Discussion 18 02-23-2013 03:56 PM
gun saftey class jaksun7 Indiana Gun Forum 2 02-18-2013 11:20 PM
Rem. 870 saftey AFerree General Shotgun Discussion 2 10-02-2012 04:15 PM
Ambi-saftey help sparky17 AR-15 Discussion 6 04-12-2012 05:40 AM
Sally Elizabeth shataway 1911 Forum 3 03-31-2012 07:31 PM