Safes, Used firearms, and questions. Oh my. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Safes, Used firearms, and questions. Oh my.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

group17, did you read what I actually wrote? Did you read this: "I have never fired one, so this is based strictly on observation."

We get feedback from owners of various firearms as well. I based my opinion on "observation".
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #12

CA357, Yes I did read it.

I never fired a xd so I wouldn't give an opinion on one even though I have fondled one at my LGD.
The OP is asking for experience about his listed weapons. Glock and Walther I have experience with.

You never shot one but tell him not to buy one on your "observation"? You also don't list your "observations". I don't want him to pass on what has been for me a great weapon. Thats all.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The unit is reliable and keeps kids out. If you want more than that, you need to think about upping your cost range.

JD
Did you get that from a Trojan commercial?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Did you get that from a Trojan commercial?
Lol, funny. So as not to start another whole thread I'm leaning towards the Stack-On PS-514 This should work well to keep out the neices and nephews if they happen to be snooping around during a visit. I'm not needing anything for quick HD access currently.

I went to another local outdoor shop today and funny thing was that both the Glock 19 Gen4 and XDm 3.8" were about $50 cheaper than the local Scheels here. $559 and $599 respectively.

Now both felt fine in my hand with the XDm being a bit top heavy but from what I've been reading this is "fixed" when a full mag is in place.

The Glock however was a little tough working the slide stop lever for me. It seemed like it was smaller and more flush than the XDm.

When I stopped at my local Scheels two of the salespeople mentioned how much better the XD's are than the Glocks because they are much safer. I take much of this with a grain of salt seeing as a firearm is ultimately only as safe as the user.

So I just can't decide really. Any place I purchase around here I will have 30 days to test out since we don't have any stores with test ranges in them or near by.

Maybe you guys can help and please correct me if I'm wrong. The Glock Gen4 seems to have the better firing spring, larger accessory and aftermarket support, comes with 3 15 round plastic/poly mags, basic cleaning kit. Stock sights aren't very good.

XDm has the match barrel, 2 19 round metal magazines or 1 19 and 1 13, speed loader, paddle holster, good stock sights.

It seems to really be coming down to the accessories it comes with almost. Both are basically the same length and height. Since this will be used primarily as a range gun it really doesn't matter so much the mag capacity for stopping a BG.

On one hand I do like the idea of the XDm being able to basically convert between a Compact and Sub-Compact pretty easily if I were to decide to carry. However I really don't see the need for a paddle holster if I'm just going to be at the range.

Why does your first always have to be the hardest decision. :-)

Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
CA357, Yes I did read it.

I never fired a xd so I wouldn't give an opinion on one even though I have fondled one at my LGD.
The OP is asking for experience about his listed weapons. Glock and Walther I have experience with.

You never shot one but tell him not to buy one on your "observation"? You also don't list your "observations". I don't want him to pass on what has been for me a great weapon. Thats all.
My aplologies to Noodle, this has turned into a threadjack.

I haven't fired the Walther, I also never "fondled" one. However, I have field stripped them and compared them to the other mentioned pistols and spoken with several owners.

I'm glad you like yours and I'm glad it works for you. You made your point. My observations are my observations and were stated as such. Get over it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
My aplologies to Noodle, this has turned into a threadjack.

I haven't fired the Walther, I also never "fondled" one. However, I have field stripped them and compared them to the other mentioned pistols and spoken with several owners.

I'm glad you like yours and I'm glad it works for you. You made your point. My observations are my observations and were stated as such. Get over it.
No apologies needed to me I understand what you are saying.

Also does anyone know anything good or bad about the Taurus 24/7 they are on sale for $350 at a local dealer. Even though I'm leaning hard towards a Glock or XD due to solid reliability I never really gave others much thought.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here in germany gun vaults are mandatory by law.
Such minivaults like you are allowed to have would never meet the standards we have to fullfill for keeping firearms in our homes.
I go a bit over the top on the ammo, since I keep that in a seprate vault aswell (seperate storage ist mandatory aswell, but a steel cabinet is enough for the ammo), but I got the second vault for free at work, so I use it for my ammo.

Here are two pics....
s3010001.jpg   s3010003.jpg