SA uncocked carry? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SA uncocked carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Way too many differing opinions here? I'll just ignore all I've read because that's all it is until I see otherwise.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #22

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Way too many differing opinions here? I'll just ignore all I've read because that's all it is until I see otherwise.
Again, talking a SA only 1911 - don't take my word or anyone else's word here.
There are books and opinions by experts such as Col. Jeff Cooper, Hilton Yam & Larry Vickers on this subject. Read what they have to say.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2736 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
But why? Is there really a greater chance of an AD over cocked n locked.
Yes there is a greater chance of a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE (ND) in condition 2 as one must pull the trigger and lower the hammer to put it into that condition in the first place AND one must manually cock the hammer to "get into the fight". That is two times the possibility right there.

A "properly" set up 1911 or A1 has an inertia firing pin that will not go bang no matter how hard you hit the hammer. It is just too short to do so. Mr. Murphy has a way of getting involved in situations like this.

A classic Colt SAA is different. The firing pin is actually resting ON the primer when the hammer is at rest. They can go off from a blow to the hammer.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

If in doubt, buy a pistol that is on the California approved list. One of the tests they must pass is a 'drop test'.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10701

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
If in doubt, buy a pistol that is on the California approved list. One of the tests they must pass is a 'drop test'.
Excellent idea!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #26

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Friend of mine was carrying a 3" barrelled 1911 in condition 2 for concealed carry in an under the shirt shoulder holster. Receiving a hug from his mother or mother in law... don't remember which... the shirt apparently wrapped around the hammer pulling it to a nearly cocked position and then when releasing their hug the shirt unwound releasing the hammer... hammer hit with enough force (so he said) to discharge the round putting a good size hole through the dining room wall... close call if you ask me. That is how he recounts what happened anyway...

Old 09-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I carry what some call half cocked. With my Sigs and 1911s it's not really half. One click back is just off the firing pin and won't allow an accidental discharged if dropped. There is no guarantee, however I prefer it. I run drills cocking the hammer while at the last point before final aim on 1911s. Be very careful releasing the hammer if you choose to carry this way. Most Sigs have a de-cocking lever and the first click for safety, then DA/SA. It is my recommended safe and reliable carry weapon. Just my opinion.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #28
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

On the 1911, remember that it is a negligent discharge, not accidental, when the hammer slips while being manipulated.

If there is a decocker, then chances are the weapon is double action.

I prefer to have control of the weapon when I present it. Having to cock it from half cock exposes a body part to the slide recoil should it slip and ND. IMO that is not controlling the firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

JD1969 Likes This 
Old 09-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #29

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Many, MANY firearm instructor, and authorities will recommend that a single action semi auto be carried "cocked and locked". I will defer to their experience. When someone with the credentials of Col. Jeff Cooper can articulate why another method of carry is batter, then I might listen, but until then, cocked and locked is the way.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #30

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

A hammer slipping while decocking or when cocking it is a very likely posibility, especially when trying to cock it under stress. My wife, intending to carry her P238 in her purse while she researched & decided on a better method, didn't want to do so with it cocked & locked. She practiced diligently, with it unloaded, cocking & uncocking it.

Then the first time she tried to decock it with a round in the chamber, it slipped & she got a big bang! I lay it off to being nervous because it was the first time with live ammo. She followed the 'point in a safe direction' rule by going outside & pointing it at some dense woods behind the house, so no bad consequences except some embarassment & worry that the neighbors may have seen it.