SA uncocked carry? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SA uncocked carry?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,969
Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10701

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I'm not sure but aren't guns built differently nowadays then they were back then? I am under the impression that you can drop a gun nowadays and it won't fire. I'm sure it was a revolver in the legend you tell. I don't think that could happen with my GP100.
Correct Winds. Your GP100 (double-action) has a transfer bar safety that physically prevents the firing pin from being struck by the hammer unless the trigger is squeezed. Older single-action guns such as the ones that Wyatt Earp carried did not have this safety feature.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
danf_fl Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,265
Liked 2875 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Default

To each their own.
While I don't recommend that single action semi autos be carried with a round in the chamber and hammer down, there are going to be those that think it is okay. That is their choice.

Carrying on half cock (even when not recommended by the owner's manuals), do so by their own choice.

As an NRA certified instructor, I cannot recommend such carry, but to each their own.

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,609
Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Default

Well I of couse let hammer down whilest pointed down. My firearm is always directed toward the ground unless prepared to shoot, I was just using that as an example of how those old blanketed sayings don't really have valid application in every instance.

And the experiment wasn't something I practice, I simply had to test it and did so the safest way I could come up with.

__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,609
Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
To each their own.
While I don't recommend that single action semi autos be carried with a round in the chamber and hammer down, there are going to be those that think it is okay. That is their choice.

Carrying on half cock (even when not recommended by the owner's manuals), do so by their own choice.

As an NRA certified instructor, I cannot recommend such carry, but to each their own.
But why? Is there really a greater chance of an AD over cocked n locked.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,969
Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10701

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Well I of couse let hammer down whilest pointed down. My firearm is always directed toward the ground unless prepared to shoot, I was just using that as an example of how those old blanketed sayings don't really have valid application in every instance.

And the experiment wasn't something I practice, I simply had to test it and did so the safest way I could come up with.
The First Rule of Firearms Safety says this:
1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

OK, I will admit that "or damage" is a bit unrealistic as a gun going off will undoubtedly cause damage to whatever it is pointed at, unless it is pointed into a bullet trap. Perhaps it would be worded better if it said "irreparable damage".

The last sentence in red is where you come in. If you live on the second floor in a multi-level apartment complex there may not be a safe direction as I see it unless you have a proper trap handy. Common sense and circumstances dictate what you should do here.

As to your test, it is my opinion that this was an unsafe test, but I (thankfully) wasn't there and you were. I am OK with that.
__________________
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,265
Liked 2875 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
But why? Is there really a greater chance of an AD over cocked n locked.
In my opinion (and experience as instructor), yes.
__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,609
Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

The First Rule of Firearms Safety says this:
1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

OK, I will admit that "or damage" is a bit unrealistic as a gun going off will undoubtedly cause damage to whatever it is pointed at, unless it is pointed into a bullet trap. Perhaps it would be worded better if it said "irreparable damage".

The last sentence in red is where you come in. If you live on the second floor in a multi-level apartment complex there may not be a safe direction as I see it unless you have a proper trap handy. Common sense and circumstances dictate what you should do here.

As to your test, it is my opinion that this was an unsafe test, but I (thankfully) wasn't there and you were. I am OK with that.
As I said, blanketed and invalid, no direction is safe, and the concept of the value of "safer" is far too relative to argue.

I don't disagree that the experiment was unsafe and/or illconceived, but we're back full circle. I could say the same of someone with bad arthritis, or of certain ages being allowed to carry let alone own firearms, due to increasing nearness to senility and lack of proper grip and dexterity to be "safe". However, I don't, because I trust that it is something considered by a responsible party and done so with utmost care.

Still, I'm all about being as safe as I can. So I definitely plan to grab one of those traps. Great idea, especially for my application.
__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BeyondTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,609
Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Default

I'm still walking the picket on this. I really hate cocked n locked, feel it asking for trouble. Ugh I'll keep thinking on it. Thanks a lot for your experiences and opinions fellas, food for thought for sure. For now I'll stay uncocked.

__________________
BeyondTheBox is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Garadex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kalifornia
Posts: 1,267
Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I'm still walking the picket on this. I really hate cocked n locked, feel it asking for trouble. Ugh I'll keep thinking on it. Thanks a lot for your experiences and opinions fellas, food for thought for sure. For now I'll stay uncocked.
You can't ask for trouble, usually, if your safety is on.
__________________

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Garadex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bartwatkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Birmingham,AL
Posts: 454
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I'm still walking the picket on this. I really hate cocked n locked, feel it asking for trouble. Ugh I'll keep thinking on it. Thanks a lot for your experiences and opinions fellas, food for thought for sure. For now I'll stay uncocked.
I am in full agreement with Dan fl (2 posts back) - if we are discussing a SA only 1911, then by all means YES, there is a greater chance of an AD with the hammer down on a loaded chamber.
Not so much with most DA/SA modern autos (that have firing pin blocks). I used to have an H&K USP and it had a safety assisted de-cocker too. It was also painstakingly drop tested by the manufacturer. I just offer this as an example of a gun that is made for and fine to carry chambered and hammer down.

But again, a SA only 1911 - this is an example of a gun made and designed to be carried cocked and locked. If you are going to carry this type of gun hammer down, then in my opinion, it should be Condition 3 (magazine full and inserted but chamber empty). This would require the slide to be manually racked prior to firing.
__________________
bartwatkins is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Retailers that carry concealed carry clothing? paulbrower Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 10 10-25-2012 10:36 PM
Difference between open carry and concealed carry ineverFTF Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 8 08-31-2012 06:11 PM
Do I need to carry a CCP to carry a knife? gmaster456 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 8 12-16-2011 08:45 PM
Concealed carry = Bad / Discreet Carry = Good -- Semantics canebrake Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 27 07-04-2011 05:53 PM
Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate Tony Soprano The Club House 31 08-06-2009 04:23 AM