SA missfire?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SA missfire?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default SA missfire?

In a CQB situation, what to do if you have a single action semiauto and is a missfire? try cock and shoot again? put the next round in chamber? why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Ensure your magazine is fully seated.
Pull back on the slide, observing the ejected shell/round and chamber.
Release the slide and resume firing.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, ideally in a CQB "Assault" situation, you wouldn't be breaching with ANY pistol unless you were holding the shield for the other assaulters to operate behind.

But, in interest of the question asked, you have to assume a missfire is one of two things immediately:

1) The round in question

or

2) assume the weapon is the problem, in which case doing anything else with it is pointless.

Ideally you would know your pistol and would know if something was wrong, know that it will always feed your ammo, that it will always go bang and therefore the missfire is the round in question.

In that case, I was taught in Combat Focus to draw the weapon back to High Chest Center and with my off hand, rack the slide, with the off hand over the top of the slide, to clear the round and chamber the new round.

With the weapon at High Chest Center you have your elbows out, which allows for more control of the weapon and allows you to move without running into anything.

The same process is used for an empty reload, though you try to never shoot a weapon dry, or you perform the same action with a tactical or "hot" reload without the charging of the slide.

Then you press out from High Chest Center and back on target.

I can highly recommend reading Rob Pincus' book Combat Focus and watching the videos that he has made and put out online.

Hope that helps -

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 01-10-2009 at 07:49 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The term CQB gets tossed around a lot these days, and means little, even to those who use it.

Remedial action is a safety measure and should be one of the first things learned.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Assuming that is round's fault....

Assuming that is round's fault, let me explain... some brand of ammo have hard primers (usually surplus ammo) as other reloaded ammo that sell the range, in the Star 9mm of my father they misfire sometimes but you cock and shoot again and most of the times it fires... obvius that he don't use these ammo for self defence, only at the range, but you never knows.... It's just to know what to do, in case of...

Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
Assuming that is round's fault, let me explain... some brand of ammo have hard primers (usually surplus ammo) as other reloaded ammo that sell the range, in the Star 9mm of my father they misfire sometimes but you cock and shoot again and most of the times it fires... obvius that he don't use these ammo for self defence, only at the range, but you never knows.... It's just to know what to do, in case of...
Remedial action. Rack the slide, watch what happens, get back to firing.

Roger Waters

Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Remedial action. Rack the slide, watch what happens, get back to firing.
100% agreed. DO NOT, under any circumstances, assume that the round in question will go bang the next time. 100% of the next round firing is better than 50% chance of this one firing on the second striking...

JD

Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I know that my weapons will function properly 100% of the time. I've had ammo fail on many occasions.

Roger Waters

Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
The term CQB gets tossed around a lot these days, and means little, even to those who use it.

Remedial action is a safety measure and should be one of the first things learned.
Isn't the accepted distance of CQB 4 meters or ~ 12.5 ft?

We shoot CQB and 2 x CQB at 12.5 and 25 feet down here.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Immediate action drill is to Tap (the mag up to insure it is seated properly), Rack (the slide to the rear and release to chamber a fresh round) and get back on target.

If you get "click" again, time to exit stage left as quickly as possible (unless you have a back up weapon available).