Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > sa... dao... sa/da?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Default sa... dao... sa/da?

So explain some things to a noob and correct me if i'm wrong...

Single action... Do you have to cock it every shot like a revolver, or does the semi-auto part of it take care of that? And if such is the case then do you only cock the hammer the first time each mag, or is that the description of SA/DA?

DAO... Every trigger pull performs two actions, the hammer cock and firing?

If what I described first is correct about SA,.and isn't sa/da then what the poop is it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

Basically, I don't every want anything I have to cock every shot, or I'd get a lame revolver. Im digging a 1911 I was turned onto but pretty sure its SA, and I just don't understand the difference between it and the sa/da.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Basically, I don't every want anything I have to cock every shot, or I'd get a lame revolver. Im digging a 1911 I was turned onto but pretty sure its SA, and I just don't understand the difference between it and the sa/da.
Single action does have to be cocked every time. But just like you thought.. when it is semi auto it will cock itself with each discharge as the slide moves back. too be honest im not entirely sure about all 1911 platforms being single action and I am curious to know myself if there is a DA 1911. If anyone could please elaborate? I do believe some of the early revolvers were single action only.

Double action will fire when cocked or not. You will have different trigger pulls between the two. And most modern revolvers are DA.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 11-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #4

So what's sa/da and, furthermore, what's the point of it?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
So what's sa/da and, furthermore, what's the point of it?
Single action double action

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8638 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

DAO cannot be cocked before firing. My ParaOrdnance is DAO- do not bother trying to thumb back the hammer. Standard 1911A1 is SA, thumb hammer back first shot, cocks itself after first shot. P38 is SA/DA, you CAN thumb cock it for first shot, or just pull trigger. Most DA pistols are not quite as accurate on that first shot due to long trigger pull. Paras are an exception, due to LDA design,

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

DA/SA 1911? IMHO that would make it something other than a 1911, but Colt Double Eagle

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Single Action: The hammer has to be cocked in some way or fashion.

Single Action Revolver: The hammer is manually cocked with the person's thumb.

Single Action Semi Automatic: The hammer can be cocked be pulling the slide back to chamber a round from the magazine or if a round is already chambered, but the hammer is not cocked you can manually cock it with you thumb. After each round is fired the slide recoils to the rear of the pistol ejecting the spent cartridge and then moving forward chambering a new cartridge from the magazine.

Double Action: The trigger mechanism can operate two ways. It can be manually cocked in a single action fashion or the trigger can be pulled to cock the hammer and fire the round at the same time.

Double Action Only: The hammer is concealed within the frame of the firearm and can only be operated by the trigger being pulled to cock the internal hammer and fire the round at the same time.

Double Action Revolvers: They operate by either the external hammer being manually cocked or by the trigger being pulled, which rotates the cylinder, cocks the hammer, and firing the cartridge at the same time.

Double Action Only Revolvers: Operate the same way as a regular double action revolver, but the hammer is concealed so it can only be fired double action.

Double Action Only Semi Automatics: Operate the same way as a regular semi automatic, except they can only be fired in a double action fashion.

Double/Single Action Semi Automatics: The trigger mechanism can operate just like a double action revolver. The only difference is that pulling the slide back to the rear and then moving it forward still ejects and chambers a round, but on a lot of them they have a decocker, which means the saftey when engaged decocks the hammer safely. The hammer can then be cocked in a double action fashion. Once the firearm is fired the slide moving to the rear and forward ejecting and chambering a new cartridge cocks the hammer so it can be fired in a single action manner.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Single action double action
Wow... Really? Lol

Thanks to the others of you who actually took the time to explain, seems as my guesses were, mostly, pretty spot on.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever
Single Action: The hammer has to be cocked in some way or fashion.

Single Action Revolver: The hammer is manually cocked with the person's thumb.

Single Action Semi Automatic: The hammer can be cocked be pulling the slide back to chamber a round from the magazine or if a round is already chambered, but the hammer is not cocked you can manually cock it with you thumb. After each round is fired the slide recoils to the rear of the pistol ejecting the spent cartridge and then moving forward chambering a new cartridge from the magazine.

Double Action: The trigger mechanism can operate two ways. It can be manually cocked in a single action fashion or the trigger can be pulled to cock the hammer and fire the round at the same time.

Double Action Only: The hammer is concealed within the frame of the firearm and can only be operated by the trigger being pulled to cock the internal hammer and fire the round at the same time.

Double Action Revolvers: They operate by either the external hammer being manually cocked or by the trigger being pulled, which rotates the cylinder, cocks the hammer, and firing the cartridge at the same time.

Double Action Only Revolvers: Operate the same way as a regular double action revolver, but the hammer is concealed so it can only be fired double action.

Double Action Only Semi Automatics: Operate the same way as a regular semi automatic, except they can only be fired in a double action fashion.

Double/Single Action Semi Automatics: The trigger mechanism can operate just like a double action revolver. The only difference is that pulling the slide back to the rear and then moving it forward still ejects and chambers a round, but on a lot of them they have a decocker, which means the saftey when engaged decocks the hammer safely. The hammer can then be cocked in a double action fashion. Once the firearm is fired the slide moving to the rear and forward ejecting and chambering a new cartridge cocks the hammer so it can be fired in a single action manner.
I feel ashamed for even making a response after this one. Lol.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"