Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&W Tactical .45ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default S&W Tactical .45ACP

I recently had a chance to fire a S&W Tactical in .45 cal. I've never seen a gun with a 'drop hammer' (I think that's what the owner called it).

I'm thinking of purchasing one for a concealed carry. I really liked the feel of the gun, the size, the recoil, and the idea of the 'drop hammer'.

Unfortunately, it would only fire about every other round. As often as not, when you chambered a round you could pull the trigger with next to no resistance, and no boom. If you cycled it (and ejected a live round on the ground) the next round usually fired. This seemed to be a every other round ordeal.

The owner said the gun just didn't like the ammo, but I'm curios to know if anyone else has had this problem, or has any likes/dislikes about the S&W Tactical line.

Thanks!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jess,
I'm not certian what S&W you are talking about. Is it a striker fired (no hammer)? I have a lot of faith in S&W but if there is one that only fires everyother round I wouldn't consider buying it at all and certaintly wouldn't carry it for consealed carry.

I own a S&W M&P 45 that I carry on a regular basis, might be considered tactical. It has yet to have a FTF or FTE with over 5,000 rounds of varied ammo. More info on the actual pistol would be helpful.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

He called it a Smith & Wesson Tactical. Tactical was etched in the side it. Here's a pic I found on the net by searching for "Smith & Wesson Tactical". He said it also comes in 9mm.

s-w-tactical-45.jpg

Oh, except his was didn't have the thumb grip on the hammer. The hammer was just a flat bar that you can't pull back manually.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Last edited by Jesse17; 07-17-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The picture is a Model 4566TSW, I couldn't find the hammer as described offered but expect it's like the one on the S&W 669. I haven't shot a 4566T but would expect better preformance than that. I would find a range that rents the pistol and put it through it's paces before you buy it. Also take a good look at the S&W M&P pistol, it might fit your needs.

Let me know what you decide and if you come up with more info on this pistol.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.