Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&W sigma question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Default S&W sigma question

okay so i have had a sigma in .40 for about 2 years now without any probloms our malfunctions, that being said it is a great pistol for the price, but i am kinda new to the striker firing design, so my question is if i load the pistol then chamber a round, what postion is the striker at? Is there any chance of a accidental discharge while in this configuration for a long time or when dropped? Thanks for any input.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The Sigma has an internal safety which prevents the firing of the gun unless the trigger is pulled. Now after saying that, no one can guarantee that a weapon won't or can't have some type of problem develop out of the ordinary.

I know a lot of police dept's used that gun for a long time and some still do. I don't know of any dept that doesn't require the officer's weapon to be readily available to fire upon drawing from a holster. Meaning they carry with a round in the chamber. Just keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire it.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

The Sigma being the BEST striker fired polymer pistol produced, is in the fire position when the round is chambered. Even though it's trigger safety is far superior to the Glock's, there is chance if the trigger his hit it could very well discharge. I do not know about dropping it. I have never dropped mine and would advise against it.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The striker is not fully "cocked" when the round is chambered. The action of pulling the trigger draws the striker back and releases it. There is also a block in the slide that prevents the striker from firing unless the trigger is pulled al the way to the rear. Hard to find a safer system.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 452

thanks everyone for the info. I never had a issue with the pistol, but am thinking about using it as a carry gun every now and then, right now i use a 1911 and am use to all the safety features and i kinda just wanted to makes sure a striker fired weapon was just as safe for carry since i carry in conditon one.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 03-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

"the BEST striker fired pistol produced" ?!?!?!?!?!?!!

hardly!!!

i do own one, and it is a nice pistol for the price. its definitely better than the glock the design's stolen from, and at a much better price.

and mines always chambered.

as was mentioned, the striker is in a mid position, supposedly, without enough energy to ignite a primer should it fall. "supposedly".

Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
"the BEST striker fired pistol produced" ?!?!?!?!?!?!!

hardly!!!

i do own one, and it is a nice pistol for the price. its definitely better than the glock the design's stolen from, and at a much better price.

and mines always chambered.

as was mentioned, the striker is in a mid position, supposedly, without enough energy to ignite a primer should it fall. "supposedly".
At least you agree it is better than Glock. Can't think of another SFP I would want.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #8

I own the Sigma in .40 and for me, I don't care for it. This is my third handgun. My previous two were the Glock 19 (9mm) and a Ruger P97DC (.45). My main beef with the Sigma is that after about 100 rounds through it, it just does not feel good in my hand. Also, the trigger (probably the most abundant of complaints) is way too stiff and the pull is not at all smooth- even after removing the heavier spring from the mechanism. I had read about the complaints on the trigger but decided to give it a shot anyway, besides it came with 4-14 round magazines.

Last edited by njjohnson; 03-05-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: took a word out that did not belong

Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #9

oh, it miles better than the glock. grip is not only smaller, but more comfortable in angle and shape as well. the trigger is a bit hard, but the price point makes up fot that.

that being said, if the moneys there, the xd is a great pistol. above that, i know theres a lot of **** talking about taurus, but ive tried one of their new oss pistols, and i could not beleive it was striker fired from the feel of the trigger.

ive shot a friends xd, and would rate the feel and function maybe a little higher than the sigma, but i prob wouldnt buy one. not that much better for me to justify buying another gun.

but id really love to get one of those tauruses!!