S&W Sigma 9mm vs. Ruger LC9:
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&W Sigma 9mm vs. Ruger LC9:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default S&W Sigma 9mm vs. Ruger LC9:

So, I'm not exactly an expert here, matter of fact I'm pretty much the opposite, having only shot a few handguns in two sessions, but I am going to attempt a user comparison between two pieces that I waffled back and forth on buying, nonetheless.

When doing my research on each I went to a few places looking at them and asking the shopmen what their opinions or what they'd heard about each were. The LC9 was still pretty new, so user experiences were almost nonexistent, however, as an in general statement, each person I talked to seemed to prefer the Ruger brand, at that price point and in that category, for one reason or another, however slight that preferrence was. The common thought was that the Sigma had a heavy trigger, which upon use I found to be utter crapola. Also that it tended to be more particular with ammo, which very well may have been the case, as the one I used jammed up with just a few Blazers, but I'm not absolute as it continued to jam even after emptied of them.

My findings are that the Ruger, possibly because of the smaller size, had a lot more recoil/kick to it. It was, as my friend put it, quite a bit snappier. When holding, each shot would buck the grip hand out of the brace hand, even with interlocked thumbs (I call it interlocked but really the brace is just tucked inside the top of the grip, enough so to get a hold for added stability). This was not just cause for annoying readjustment each shot, but also longer intervals between rounds fired. Of course this all could be due to a lack of a stronger grip from a less experienced user, however the exact opposite was true for the Sigma.

With the S&W 9mm every shot was smooth and it was effortless to squeeze off rapid fire shots with reasonable accuracy. The recoil was almost nill, bucking no more than a lame left-hooved horse. And because of the heavier frame it fell right back into place, making target aim a pure breeze. Now the gun did jam, and I haven't a clue as to the cause for sure, but it too was an older gun, having fired over 1000 rounds already, and it hadn't been recently cleaned, so I'm not going to count this against the gun. Another thing to consider was the considerably larger mag capacity shooting double the rounds and having to reload half the time.

As far as shooting enjoyment goes I preferred the Sigma, but not by as much as you would think. There's something to say for the cool, manly kick from such a cute li'l "nina". In the end I don't regret my decision going with the LC9, however had I the opportunity to've shot them both before purchasing, I'd've definitely gone with the S&W.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

I like that you tried both and made your decision.

One can never have enough handguns. Should you decide later to go back to the S&W, you do not have to get rid of the Ruger.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 11-18-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: dylexia on my part

Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Well reliability is more important than comfort however I think the Sigma you tried out was a problem gun that you could stumble across in any brand. Curious, why did you just select from just these two models? Anyway, I hope you enjoy the LC9!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Well reliability is more important than comfort however I think the Sigma you tried out was a problem gun that you could stumble across in any brand. Curious, why did you just select from just these two models? Anyway, I hope you enjoy the LC9!
There were many others I briefly considered, but price was a huge factor for me, considering it was my first gun and I wasnt sure I would wind up liking it. Only a couple others entered the ring with these two, like the Ruger P95 and the Taurus MilPro. I decided to save the MilPro for my 45 and I had originally intended the 9mm to be my carry piece, which is why I went for the LC9 over the P95, but today I went and picked up a LCP for that reason instead. I'm still very happy with the LC9, but may add another down the road for larger capacity plinking, which will then come down to either the Sigma or the P95.

Thanks for reading fellas.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I own them both , the LC9 and the Sigma in a .40 . both are great and fun , After a little bit of trigger work , spring, guide rod and guide spring from Wolff Springs all for around $35 you have a lighter trigger and more reliability , Im not a big fan of the DA on the LC9 but after 10 rds you dont notice it anymore . The wife is wanting a Taurus PT111 in 9mm but after handling my sigma she really liked the feel and the weight of it, all except the harsh recoil of the .40 so Im thinking a reworked Sigma 9mm might just fit the bill for her

Old 11-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I own them both , the LC9 and the Sigma in a .40 . both are great and fun , After a little bit of trigger work , spring, guide rod and guide spring from Wolff Springs all for around $35 you have a lighter trigger and more reliability , Im not a big fan of the DA on the LC9 but after 10 rds you dont notice it anymore . The wife is wanting a Taurus PT111 in 9mm but after handling my sigma she really liked the feel and the weight of it, all except the harsh recoil of the .40 so Im thinking a reworked Sigma 9mm might just fit the bill for her
The Sigma nine has no sharp recoil at all, she should love the 9mm version.