S&W Shield lots of FTF

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&W Shield lots of FTF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default S&W Shield lots of FTF

so a few weeks ago i got a new Shield in .40 and finally got out to the range today. Well, it shot great, when it shot. First loaded it with WWB and the first mag shot fine 6rds. Next mag i had loaded 6rds Winchester PDX1, 2nd shot failure to feed. and slide locked back, manually released the slide forward round fired and then the from then on every other round was a FTF. the Primer was struck it just did not fire and it didn't matter what kind of ammo i used...federal fmj, wwb, winchester ranger, winchester pdx1. for an example 2 would shot then the next one would be a dud, next one would shot the the next would be a dud...the primer does look like it was struck off center. Actually with each mag i would say that I had 1 or 2 malfunctions a dozen or so in total. What do you guys think is up?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #2

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Call S&W,they'll probably be able to help.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Many primers strick off center some . Not a reason to worry often. Take the fireing pin out if you have not and clean the everwhere. Got to learn any how and most guys don't completely clean when new and that is a great place of trash to hide. Then try to shoot 100 to 200 rounds of fed or magtech fmj ammo first. I have allways found cheap magtech to allways go bang and I allways avoid WWB ammo at all cost. After a real complete cleaning and 200 rounds fired trouble free then see what HP ammo you and your pistol prefer. But after a complete cleaning and one other type of fmj if you still have problems then call s&w.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Many primers strick off center some . Not a reason to worry often. Take the fireing pin out if you have not and clean the everwhere. Got to learn any how and most guys don't completely clean when new and that is a great place of trash to hide. Then try to shoot 100 to 200 rounds of fed or magtech fmj ammo first. I have allways found cheap magtech to allways go bang and I allways avoid WWB ammo at all cost. After a real complete cleaning and 200 rounds fired trouble free then see what HP ammo you and your pistol prefer. But after a complete cleaning and one other type of fmj if you still have problems then call s&w.
IMO it shouldn't do that, yours is the first one I have heard about that had this many issues. Even with Tula, Wolf, etc no issues. I would call S&W.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

maybe the gun's dry, clean and oil her up and see if you have the same issue. If so, give S&W a ring.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the comments. The overall consensus I got from many people was to put about 200 rounds through it. So, thats what I did. Gun is Working fine now. However now I have a new problem. The 6 round mag is fine, it is the 7 round mag i am having a problem with. Every time i fire the mag drops out of the mag well. Not to the floor but only about a half inch. Freaking pain in the ass.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If the problems is with one mag ,set it aside. Use only your 6 round mag for now. Pick a different ammo line of only 124gr fmj ammo and see if it shoots with no issues for a couple hundred rounds. Then find a HP that runs well . Then try the 7 rounder again. Look for the reason and think about the problem whys its not locking in . If it still casues problems with the ammo you know works Call s&w and talk to the CS. Maybe they will send you a new mag free or atleast they will tell you what they want to do. If you have to send your pistol back they well send you a shipping label for your pistol to be sent with or picked up at your door and returned to your door. All small pistols can give some issues, suck it up and think thru the problems. Problems tend to be ammo related first, shoot next as far as skill level an cleaning and lubeing then the firearm.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
Every time i fire the mag drops out of the mag well. Not to the floor but only about a half inch. Freaking pain in the ass.
This is a known issue with the .40 Shield. (not the 9mm, only the 40) We have been talking about it for a couple months on the S&W forum. S&W has designed a new magazine catch and new magazines which fix the issue. Call S&W - they will send FedEx to pick the gun up, and have it back to you in approx. 16-21 days. Be sure to send the magazines with it, as they are swapping them out for new ones along with installing the new magazine catch.