Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   S&W Shield lots of FTF (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/s-w-shield-lots-ftf-70694/)

Flat4sti 08-19-2012 07:05 PM

S&W Shield lots of FTF

so a few weeks ago i got a new Shield in .40 and finally got out to the range today. Well, it shot great, when it shot. First loaded it with WWB and the first mag shot fine 6rds. Next mag i had loaded 6rds Winchester PDX1, 2nd shot failure to feed. and slide locked back, manually released the slide forward round fired and then the from then on every other round was a FTF. the Primer was struck it just did not fire and it didn't matter what kind of ammo i used...federal fmj, wwb, winchester ranger, winchester pdx1. for an example 2 would shot then the next one would be a dud, next one would shot the the next would be a dud...the primer does look like it was struck off center. Actually with each mag i would say that I had 1 or 2 malfunctions a dozen or so in total. What do you guys think is up?

KalashnikovJosh 08-19-2012 07:14 PM

Call S&W,they'll probably be able to help.

hardluk1 08-20-2012 05:45 PM

Many primers strick off center some . Not a reason to worry often. Take the fireing pin out if you have not and clean the everwhere. Got to learn any how and most guys don't completely clean when new and that is a great place of trash to hide. Then try to shoot 100 to 200 rounds of fed or magtech fmj ammo first. I have allways found cheap magtech to allways go bang and I allways avoid WWB ammo at all cost. After a real complete cleaning and 200 rounds fired trouble free then see what HP ammo you and your pistol prefer. But after a complete cleaning and one other type of fmj if you still have problems then call s&w.

silverado113 08-20-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 909966)
Many primers strick off center some . Not a reason to worry often. Take the fireing pin out if you have not and clean the everwhere. Got to learn any how and most guys don't completely clean when new and that is a great place of trash to hide. Then try to shoot 100 to 200 rounds of fed or magtech fmj ammo first. I have allways found cheap magtech to allways go bang and I allways avoid WWB ammo at all cost. After a real complete cleaning and 200 rounds fired trouble free then see what HP ammo you and your pistol prefer. But after a complete cleaning and one other type of fmj if you still have problems then call s&w.

IMO it shouldn't do that, yours is the first one I have heard about that had this many issues. Even with Tula, Wolf, etc no issues. I would call S&W.

drvsafe 08-20-2012 06:16 PM

maybe the gun's dry, clean and oil her up and see if you have the same issue. If so, give S&W a ring.

Flat4sti 09-23-2012 09:35 PM

Thanks for the comments. The overall consensus I got from many people was to put about 200 rounds through it. So, thats what I did. Gun is Working fine now. However now I have a new problem. The 6 round mag is fine, it is the 7 round mag i am having a problem with. Every time i fire the mag drops out of the mag well. Not to the floor but only about a half inch. Freaking pain in the ass.

hardluk1 09-24-2012 03:55 PM

If the problems is with one mag ,set it aside. Use only your 6 round mag for now. Pick a different ammo line of only 124gr fmj ammo and see if it shoots with no issues for a couple hundred rounds. Then find a HP that runs well . Then try the 7 rounder again. Look for the reason and think about the problem whys its not locking in . If it still casues problems with the ammo you know works Call s&w and talk to the CS. Maybe they will send you a new mag free or atleast they will tell you what they want to do. If you have to send your pistol back they well send you a shipping label for your pistol to be sent with or picked up at your door and returned to your door. All small pistols can give some issues, suck it up and think thru the problems. Problems tend to be ammo related first, shoot next as far as skill level an cleaning and lubeing then the firearm.

PakWaan 10-07-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat4sti (Post 952050)
Every time i fire the mag drops out of the mag well. Not to the floor but only about a half inch. Freaking pain in the ass.

This is a known issue with the .40 Shield. (not the 9mm, only the 40) We have been talking about it for a couple months on the S&W forum. S&W has designed a new magazine catch and new magazines which fix the issue. Call S&W - they will send FedEx to pick the gun up, and have it back to you in approx. 16-21 days. Be sure to send the magazines with it, as they are swapping them out for new ones along with installing the new magazine catch.