Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&W M&Ps have the ghey...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default S&W M&Ps have the ghey...

As some of you know I'm persuing a career in law enforcement and yesterday I learned that the issued weapon is a S&W M&P in 357 sig. Not my favorite round but I would feel comfortable carrying it. I can't carry anything else on or off duty without qualifying with it before hand. Anyway, I stopped in Gander Mountain today to handle one, have looked at them before but it's been a while. I pick it up, feels OK, fits my hand well, points OK (not like my XD or Kimber, but ok) but there is one HUGE problem. The trigger and safety....The ONLY safety on the weapon is on the trigger, just like a Glock...GHEY!! Plus the safety hinges at the bottom of the trigger so you can't put your finger in the natural curve of the trigger or it catches. Trigger pull was long, hard and broke like a soggy turd....
I took it apart and the weapon seemed to be decent but the trigger absolutely sucked! I personally cannot get past the shear stupidity of putting the only safety on the trigger itself. How dumb is that?

I'm slightly disappointed in their weapon choice but when S&W buys you old weapons and give you new M&Ps it's hard to turn down....I'll have to get over it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Spitty, good luck in your career pursuit.

I am not real familiar with the MP series. I have handled them and have not been impressed to be honest. I would really consider qualifying with another weapon when you make the force, if that is indeed an option for you.

Any pistol with the lone safety on the trigger is just a plain assnine design and the "engineer" that came up with it needs to be stomped to death by a rampaging elephant.

The .357 Sig is a good round for an officer to be honest. It's no .45 ACP, but what is?

Here's a write up done by Massad Ayoob, a guy who knows a thing or two about terminal ballistics.

Choose your ammo...police style by Massad Ayoob Issue #93

As long as you don't need to buy the ammo yourself.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well,crap. I thought some had an external safety too??

Hmmmm, I don't really care for the m&p's either. If I had to use a polymer pistol it would be an XD hands down.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Spitty, good luck in your career pursuit.

I am not real familiar with the MP series. I have handled them and have not been impressed to be honest. I would really consider qualifying with another weapon when you make the force, if that is indeed an option for you.

Any pistol with the lone safety on the trigger is just a plain assnine design and the "engineer" that came up with it needs to be stomped to death by a rampaging elephant.

The .357 Sig is a good round for an officer to be honest. It's no .45 ACP, but what is?

Here's a write up done by Massad Ayoob, a guy who knows a thing or two about terminal ballistics.

Choose your ammo...police style by Massad Ayoob Issue #93

As long as you don't need to buy the ammo yourself.
Unfortunately my primary weapon would have to be the M&P. My backup can be anything I want but if it's anything other then 357 Sig, I'm supplying the ammo.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Some models are available with a manual safety, but it's not standard, Goju.

I love my M&P for the range (It's going to be an IDPA gun as soon as I find the time and a nearby club.), especially the trigger, but I sprang for the Pro series, which overhauls the whole system, so it might be that. But yeah, I gotta agree with Spitty's take on the M&P as a carry gun. Single safety = no go.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 02-21-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't require a manual safety, although it is nice, but you could throw a loaded M&P or Glock on the floor and if I decide I want to reach over with a stick and push the trigger, it's going off....not good. A grip safety would solve that problem as would a manual safety.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #7

Liked 209 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmmm...The only safety catch is on the trigger ? Where does that leave most revolvers, with no safety at all ? What if you buy a DA semi-auto and carry with the safety off ?

Sounds dangerous to me ! I'm just going to carry a rape whistle instead. (LOL)

These guns were not designed by Fisher Price and, if handled like toys, will fire when you'd rather they didn't.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I have the MP45 with external safety. It is ambidextrous in the same position as a 1911, so I'm very familiar with using it.

Your right the trigger aint no 1911, but once I got used to the break point I came to be comfortable with the long pull. I've been shooting some very good groups with it.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 02-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

You can go with the M&P .357 series handgun, with manual thumb safety Spitty. All the other PRO series, including the .40 and .45 are very accurate, reliable and comfortable shooting weapons, with thumb safeties.

Sorry, you might have to rack a slide here to chamber a round.

I think once you start using one and fire it regularly, IMHO you will change your mind about the GHEY BS claim.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

This is from Buds

53542.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."