Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   S&W M&P Shield (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/s-w-m-p-shield-62504/)

okdonk 04-14-2012 07:41 AM

S&W M&P Shield

Just found out today the new M&P Shield out for sale today. Saw a website selling it for $385 (MSRP $449) an hour ago. Then i watched some youtube vids about it, kinda impressed. Thinner and looks better than my Glock 26. Damn! ;). Then somehow the video made me want to buy it. I never like or ever interested in M&P models (sorry folks, no offense) but this Shield changed my mind. Right away i looked back to the website selling it.. wow they are sold out already!
Tomorrow i'm going to visit my local gun stores to see & feel it in person.
Any opinions on this gun? How is S&W guns overall performance, reliability, durability or customer service in overall anyway?

Donn 04-14-2012 10:57 AM

Hope you have better luck than I did. Asked about the Shield at the local shop yesterday and was greeted with 1) blank stares. And, 2) "Shipping now? Sure they are, we'll we'll be lucky if we get one in by next year."
As far as the gun itself, I've got two M&P's, a full size and a Compact, both 9mm. Dependable right out of the box, (like Glock). Haven't needed it so far, but others have told me S&W cust service is first rate.

wjnfirearms 04-14-2012 10:58 AM

S&W always has been considered one of the standard bearers in firearms. The M&P line has been growing in desirability by law enforcement along with the general public. Reliability is very good overall and they always back their products. The Shield is a welcome addition to the line as smaller concealable semis are a large segment of the market today. The selections are just getting better and better. The price you saw is likely what an average discount price will be with the MSRP of $449.

nickel1911 04-14-2012 11:55 AM

The reliability and durability of my m&p 9mm has been outstanding so far. Ive run whatever ammo was available at the shop and it's eaten everything I've fed it. As far as customer service, I couldn't comment on that as I've never had any issues. But I've read that they are very good and will handle any issues you may even years down the road. I was impressed enough with the m&p, to go out and buy the m&p ar-15 psx with confidence. Love that one too!

Tom86 04-14-2012 01:36 PM

Saw some available on-line yesterday morning and jumped in. Picking mine up Monday. My M&P9c is such a fantastic gun for me, I didn't need to wait till they were in stock to decide.

Glad I didn't wait. The entire stock was gone by noon yesterday. I think they are going to be tough to find for a while. s&W supposedly had 8000 ready for the rollout on Thursday. But I can't find them available anywhere on-line now.

dblapx 04-17-2012 08:14 PM

9 mm or .40? Looks too small for ..40

okdonk 04-17-2012 08:43 PM

Available for both calibers

Wiseman3 04-18-2012 01:42 AM

hope they put out .500 version but I'll settle for .45

MrWray 04-18-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman3
hope they put out .500 version but I'll settle for .45

I would be scared to shoot the .500 out of a polymer framed gun o_O

Wiseman3 04-18-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWray

I would be scared to shoot the .500 out of a polymer framed gun o_O

Me too not to mention out of such a small gun could you imagine what that muzzle flip would be like