S&W M&P 9 vs Glock 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&W M&P 9 vs Glock 17

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W M&P 9 vs Glock 17

So I was 100% sold on getting a Glock 17/19 and then went to the range today and shot a G19 and SW MP .40 and the SW was much better to me. The range had the SW 9 booked and I will be comparing the Glock 17 to the SW 9 before I buy. However what are your thoughts on the better gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I owned a 17 hated it because of the trigger. My finger was always hunting. I just recently picked up the M&P 45 and love it. For me the feel of the Smith is far better than the Glock. Being that I also own a Hi-Power I don't have to adjust my mind set switching between the two. But I do think you should definitely try them both out because everyone is different. Both are fine guns and I never doubted that Glock would get me out of a sticky situation should it had arose, but in the end just could never get over the trigger.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Follow ur heart, comfort and budget on the gun! Dont worry about what ppl say. Im a Glock lover

Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

IMHO u really can't go wrong with either. I am partial to the glock. Hell just buy both.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I enjoy both, but would take the M&P 9 myself. I much prefer the grip on the M&P with the small backstrap. It feels great in the hand, very pointable. I also feel like I am able to get a higher grip which allows better control. I really love mine as you can see by me whoring out this photo.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Last edited by jamesb; 01-03-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #6

GLOCK has better ammo cap and its the original style that s&w copied with their frame. So with that said I would have to go with the firearm that made the m&p possible and say GLOCK

Old 01-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK17OD View Post
GLOCK has better ammo cap and its the original style that s&w copied with their frame. So with that said I would have to go with the firearm that made the m&p possible and say GLOCK

You do realize that they feel totally different right? Glock was one of the first with the polymer lower ( I know HK came first, but still), but that doesn't make it the end all be all pistol that everyone needs to own. I'm not knocking them at all, hell i've owned maybe 10 or so, but to say what you did makes no sense.

Quote:
So with that said I would have to go with the firearm that made the m&p possible and say GLOCK
So you're saying even if the M&P was a better firearm you would still go with Glock just because they were before the M&P? If you said it fit you better, you shot them better, etc. then that would be grounds for you to choose that option. But the reasons you did give, make me think you're biased.

Ammo capacity? My full size M&P holds 17 +1, just like my Glock 17 did.

Last edited by jamesb; 01-03-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

my GLOCK 17 hold 19 +1 but that's with plus two. I am making the point I always make. I would rather go with the original than a copy. I like GLOCK better I have fired the m&p and it does fit my hand well I simply like my GLOCK more. It's all about dependability and trust. I know my GLOCK will go bang whenever I pull the trigger even if its wet or dirty. When compared to any hand gun ill pick the one that does it all.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Like I said, it works better for you and you like it more. That is fine. I prefer the looks of my M&P over the Glock. No gun is the end all, be all though. I've had some feeding issues with my 34 and 17. My other Glocks have been flawless as many other firearms i've owned.

Quote:
It's all about dependability and trust. I know my GLOCK will go bang whenever I pull the trigger even if its wet or dirty.
I agree. You need to be able to depend on your firearm. With that said, just because most Glocks function perfectly, don't automatically expect your firearm to. It needs to be tested with your carry ammo. I personally don't carry a firearm until I have at least 400 flawless rounds through it. I've seen videos of Glocks not firing in sand/dirt/mud. There is always the possibility that something will not work in its intended way.

My Glock 34 and 17 didn't meet this requirement. The M&P this time has and continues to function wonderfully. I also prefer the trigger more.

Don't get into 1911s then. You would have to own a Colt and by your logic of having to go with the original over a copy, a Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, and others just wont do.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I am making the point I always make. I would rather go with the original than a copy.
Glock IS NOT the ORIGINAL Tupperware, it's just a copy.

Quote:
I know my GLOCK will go bang whenever I pull the trigger even if its wet or dirty. When compared to any hand gun ill pick the one that does it all.
My HK does the same thing, devoid of lube and full of carry lint.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 01-03-2012 at 09:36 PM.