Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&w M&p 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglass View Post
What an outstanding choice for your first handgun. Most people will finally get to a good one after some amount of trial and error... And cash.

The M&P line is the hottest brand going the LEO community right now. Since it was introduced in 2006, it has won over 370 LE agency "issued sidearm" contracts. This is more new contracts than any other brand by a good margin. Most of those wins have come at the expense of Glock and Sig Sauer... Sorry Springfield, the XD does not have any "issued" contracts to lose. (obligatory poke at XD owners.)

(Definition: Strikers are basically spring-loaded firing pins that are fully contained in the gun's slide. Instead of a hammer hitting a firing pin, the striker has a partially-cocked spring/pin that unloads its energy when the trigger is pulled.)

My M&P40

Hi gglass, thanks for the info man! I am really stoked to get one!

That is badass looking with the white lettering! How'd you do that?

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 02-26-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #12

Zeusecho the M&P .40 is an amazing gun, it is very easy to handle and shoot with. It has ambidextrious controls and a switchable magazine release as well (the reason I got it is because I shoot better lefty). It does have a long trigger pull though... but as stated in the posts above, that can be viewed as being a good thing as there are no safeties on the gun besides the trigger safety. The slide is well designed also with nice grooves to grab onto when racking the slide (unlike many glocks and springfields I've handled). Plus when/if you ever decide to get a flashlight or laser site it has the standard rails for accessories and attachments.

However, I personally regret getting the .40 now that I look back. The reason being is that I love to hit the range! Ammunition costs are killing me! If its your first gun, the M&P is a good choice but I would recommend a 9mm. The 9mm high capacity clips (not legal in Cali) load 16+1 rnds (1 more than the .40) which means just one more round of fun before you have to stack another magazine. And on the self defense issue... when it come to self defense, a 9mm hollow point is gonna do almost just as much damage as a .40 when you unload several rounds into someone...

The costs of ammo are such a problem for me that I even ordered a custom barrel 9mm downconvert from storm lake barrels... Hopefully there are no problems with it!!! I have my fingers crossed...

Good luck with the gun searching. Kimbers are amazing

and Cowboy Bebop is awesome as well

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Last edited by Angrypoonani; 03-11-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Saw Fey from Cowboy Bebop

Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #13

I was a fairly typical "cheapo" who wanted a great gun for almost nothing. After two weeks I found out the error of my ways. Took the cheapie back and got an M&P 40c. Well, I took it home, cleaned it and couldn't wait, so I went to the range and proceded to put 10 out of 10 in a 3" group on the first mag. I knew I was a better shot than the cheapie made me look. The M&P was a dream. Now I want more.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #14

Default Love mine!

I was fortunate enough to win a 40 Caliber M&P at the Lady Smith Match last April here @ my home range, The Shootout. I'd been wanting one since they came out a couple of years ago. It's an awesome gun straight out of the box but have a little trigger work done and LIKE WOW!

I loaded up some "light loads" with Hodgdon Titegroup and Montana Gold 155 JHPs to play around with and it never missed a beat.

Quite literally, S&W took all of the good features from the other popular "plastiguns" (Glock, HK USP, Springfield Armory XD) and combined them into a supreme piece of machinery. I cannot sing enough praises.

Endurance Test

Shooting USA Video with Manufacturing Process

Last edited by ccginc; 03-12-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: forgot links

Old 03-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

CCG congrats on the win and what a great prize! And thanks for the links. I think most of the people on this thread already understand the value of owning the best polly framed pistol on the market and hope they will continue to share that with outher shooters. I had my M&P 45 for more than two years and it's still my favorite, I like it better than my Kimber. My M&P 9mm compact was added late last summer when I wanted the same pistol in a smaller frame. I took the time and shot several options but already knew that the M&P compact was the right choice. If I would have found a better pistol for lite carry I would have bouht it and told everyone about it but the M&P was simply the best. It is a great professional carry firearm and a first choice for personal carry or home defense.

Gubba, good to hear you found the right pistol for you, I have several pistols I thought we for me and latter learned they are just not what I need or not up to the task. Often cheap comes at a price and when if comes to personal defense it isn't time to save a few bucks, You made a good investment.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #16

Thanks. I have had a S&W 6906 9mm for quite a while, that I love and should have known better with the 40. Felt like coming home. I won't make that mistake again.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Thanks for all the input guys! Yeah Angry, I was debating the 9mm because of the ammo cost. I guess after that I'll pick up the Kimber .45 anyway so the 9mm M&P is probably the right choice so I can shoot it more often.

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 03-15-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Thanks for all the input guys! Yeah Angry, I was debating the 9mm because of the ammo cost. I guess after that I'll pick up the Kimber .45 anyway so the 9mm M&P is probably the right choice so I can shoot it more often.
Zeus, I think your going to be truly happy with your M&P choice. Let us know what you think you you get some time with your new pistol.