Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > S&W Bodyguard 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default S&W Bodyguard 380

I've been reading about these to see how they have progressed because some have had problems with the trigger and takedown lever. After seeing one in person and being able to test fire it at the shop, I knew I needed (i.e. wanted) it. Took the Xmas bonus and picked one up as well as the revolver (see other thread). Got a few boxes of ammo for each and going to the range today to test them out.

I'm 6' and the BG 380 is real tiny. I didn't fully know how small it was until seeing it in person. My serial number is higher (EAFxxxxx) so i'm hoping I do not have any issues with it. If it proves reliable I think it will be a great carry gun or back up to the Glock or revolver. Just a few quick photos.

I am super excited to go shoot these later today.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts

Your BG380 has the new frame and all the upgrades to the takedown pin so you'll be fine. Gun Tests magazine just tested the Bodyguard against some other 380s and declared it to be the Cadillac of pocket 380s.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #3

I have to say it is awesome! We shot it today and it was grouping better than my Glock 26. At 40' my friend was putting all 6 rounds in about a 5" diameter. To me that is very impressive for such a small gun. He was shooting much better than I, but at least I could see what it did. The laser was dead on as well at 15-20 feet. It is a great little gun from my test today.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #4

I too have been checking in on these, but today at the show was the first time that I held one. Must say it's much more impressive in the hand than on my PC monitor.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 441

S&W recently dropped the MSRP to $400 but did not give the dealers any break for weapons in stock so prices will be mixed. I emailed S&W to verify the price.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #6

I got it locally for $350. Well worth it IMO.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #7

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts

James, that's a good price, you did well.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #8

I'd never buy this gun...compared to a Sig238, the trigger pull is freakin' immense. I went to a concealed carry class we held here and watch as some 40-50 year old woman waved the gun all over the place trying to get the trigger pulled back all the way to fire. It was a ridiculous sight. I must admit, I wanted to fire one of these myself, and one of the ladies who bought one offered...but I never pressed the matter - I new I would hate it. We've sold hundreds of these at the gun shop, but it's only because the gun looks sweet, is a Smith and has a laser. We've got a 238 Nitron (basic) right now that I've got my eyes on I'm hoping to get soon.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Looking for more info

New poster here. I've done searches on the forum, but haven't found the information I'm looking for.

I picked up a new Bodyguard back in July as an additional carry gun. For it's intended purpose, I like the size and shape, and I don't seem to have the same problem with the heavy trigger pull that some do. It is heavy, no doubt, but no real problem keeping it on target at relatively rapid fire. It is pretty accurate out to 7 yards, which is where I mainly practice with it.

However, I have had some issues.

1. The first time I took it to the range, I put about 100 rounds of ball through it with no hiccups. However, I then ran about 20 rounds of what I wanted to use for carry ammo (hornady critical defense) and had two failures to fire in the first 20 rounds. Pulling the trigger a second time did the trick. Since then, however, no problems with either ball or CD after another 150 - 200 rounds using those ammo types. More curious than anything, but a question mark.

2. I have had problems reassembling the piece, expecially with the take down lever. After cleaning and reassembling the pistol following my last trip to the range, I stored the gun, carrying it off and on over the next week or so. I had changed my view on carrying chambered vs. unchambered, and as I was leaving the house one day, I went to chamber a round....and it would not chamber. I thought maybe I did something wrong when I was in a hurry reassembling last time, so I disassembled and reassembled. Again, problems getting the takedown lever back in place. And it still wouldn't chamber a round. Disassembly/reassembly again and now it chambers fine. Takedown lever went in much easier that last time. I have no idea why.

3. In comparing my pistol with the pictures above, I notice that my slide lock rests in the fully downward position, not raised like in the pictures.

I've seen mention in threads about problems with earlier units, but no details on exactly how to identify the units affected or possible solutions. My serial number is EAN7###.

Can anyone shed some light onto these issues or point me to a thread where it's been discussed.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom86 View Post
Can anyone shed some light onto these issues or point me to a thread where it's been discussed.Thanks.
I can first politely point you to the INTRODUCTION section of the forum for starters.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”