Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   rusty truck gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/rusty-truck-gun-27589/)

RadioActiV 05-26-2010 09:14 PM

rusty truck gun
 
I've come to realize that when it comes to a vehicle and a firearm, the best one to keep in yours is something along the lines of a xd or glock. I was keeping my taurus pt92c in mine. When I took it out today to inspect it it was covered in rust!:eek: So I will no longer keep it in there. I'm gonna Keep my Hipoint c-9 in my truck. I don't want to keep a high quality gun in there seeing how someone could steal my truck or my gun. Either way I would be out of a gun. but the bad part is after i finished cleaning my taurus it has some pitting that really sucks seeing how it never had any pitting to begin with.:mad: Word to the wise don't keep any irons in your vehicle cause they'll rust on you.;)

30-30remchester 05-27-2010 12:55 AM

It must be humid where you live. I live in the mountains of Colorado and guns have been stored in all my vechiles for the last 40 years with no rust. I worked in the rain forests of Washington state and in eastern Kansas and those humid places will rust a wooden plank.

ScottA 05-27-2010 03:06 AM

Don't drive through rivers.

gorknoids 05-27-2010 03:37 AM

Man....... Putting a Taurus before an XD is like rooting for Robbie Gordon over Tony Stewart....

group17 05-28-2010 02:32 PM

I think the C9 is the perfect truck gun. If its stolen the most your out is $150.

Viking 05-28-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-30remchester (Post 290873)
It must be humid where you live. I live in the mountains of Colorado and guns have been stored in all my vechiles for the last 40 years with no rust. I worked in the rain forests of Washington state and in eastern Kansas and those humid places will rust a wooden plank.

Years ago (here in S.W. Oregon) when we were still living in the travel trailer we used for hunting and fishing in Colorado, I pulled a Ruger 30-06 out of the closet and about had a heart attack because of the surface rust. Thankfully it cleaned up great and I traded it off, after that any guns I bought I tried to get in stainless steel. When we lived in Colorado at 8,100 ft. elevation humidity could get down to 4%, I've seen equipment at old mining sights in the Colorado mountains that hadn't rusted in the over 50 years that they had been there exposed to the weather.

30-30remchester 05-29-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking (Post 291846)
Years ago (here in S.W. Oregon) when we were still living in the travel trailer we used for hunting and fishing in Colorado, I pulled a Ruger 30-06 out of the closet and about had a heart attack because of the surface rust. Thankfully it cleaned up great and I traded it off, after that any guns I bought I tried to get in stainless steel. When we lived in Colorado at 8,100 ft. elevation humidity could get down to 4%, I've seen equipment at old mining sights in the Colorado mountains that hadn't rusted in the over 50 years that they had been there exposed to the weather.

I know what you mean about low humidity, I live at 9100'. Though we get lots of snow, we dont get rust. After a long winter with no work the truck beds and dozer blades are still shiny after months of sitting idol. What town did you live in at 8100'? Sounds like my town.

Viking 05-29-2010 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30-30remchester (Post 291971)
I know what you mean about low humidity, I live at 9100'. Though we get lots of snow, we dont get rust. After a long winter with no work the truck beds and dozer blades are still shiny after months of sitting idol. What town did you live in at 8100'? Sounds like my town.

Conifer, right up from a property ownership private pond. Which if you have been through that area back in the 1980's is across the highway from a hotdog in a bun with trimmings restaurant that was torn down probably during the extra two lanes added to hwy. 285. We loved living there but even with both of us working couldn't afford to live there, actually any of the good areas of Colorado were kind of like that, that's why were we live now is so great. The cost of living around here is great, bad thing is, not too many jobs.

Viking 05-29-2010 04:05 AM

One time I really put my Ruger 30-06 to the test out elk hunting just out of Tincup, Colorado. I slept on the ground at 13,000+ ft.elevation in just a sleeping bag, layed the rifle on the ground along side of me and in the morning everything was covered with frost, everything was pure white and I dang near froze my butt off but the rifle never rusted. After I got used to the high altitudes I loved hunting and fishing in the mountains of Colorado, I always felt great when I came home. Getting used to altitudes above 10,000 ft. was the pits, I got a few wammy headaches that asperine wouldn't touch.

30-30remchester 05-30-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking (Post 292008)
One time I really put my Ruger 30-06 to the test out elk hunting just out of Tincup, Colorado. I slept on the ground at 13,000+ ft.elevation in just a sleeping bag, layed the rifle on the ground along side of me and in the morning everything was covered with frost, everything was pure white and I dang near froze my butt off but the rifle never rusted. After I got used to the high altitudes I loved hunting and fishing in the mountains of Colorado, I always felt great when I came home. Getting used to altitudes above 10,000 ft. was the pits, I got a few wammy headaches that asperine wouldn't touch.

I dont live very far from Tincup myself, and have most of my 50 plus years, and Im still not immune from freezing my butt off. I have a 22 pistol that was lost in the snow one January and was found in the spring. It had just the slighted rust on it when found. I take great pride in all my possesions and it would be hard on me to live where humidity rusts everything made of metal. Most of my handtoold are multi generational and are spot free. No need for plastic or stainless here unless you are into ignoring altogether the maintainence of you guns.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.