Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ruger SR9C or Taurus Millenium Pro PT111 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ruger-sr9c-taurus-millenium-pro-pt111-51545/)

purehavoc 11-10-2011 05:42 PM

Ruger SR9C or Taurus Millenium Pro PT111

The wife has a new addiction after shooting my 9mm , she really likes it but she thinks its a just a little to small for her "LC9"
So, we went to Bass Pro and they let her fondle about 10 guns until she found a few she liked , She picked the Ruger SR9C and the Millenium Pro both of which felt good in her hand and aimed well , Her only concerns were she didnt like the sights on the PT111 seeing as it only has one dot , I told her you just stack the dots and it made more sense to her after that Now this gun felt best in her hand of the 2 she picked out , Anyone have any issues with either of these ? I have read a few post of goods and bads on both firearms so Im not biased to either , This one will probably go out to the range when ever we go and it will be her home self defense weapon , that I want her familiarize herself with and get used to shooting regularly. Both are reasonably what I am willing to spend as long as she likes it I dont care what it costs .
Dont want to go any bigger on caliber , she isnt comfortable shooting my .40 cal and limp wrists it and makes it jam about every other shot , 9mm recoil is about perfect and she is comfortable with it
Thanks ahead of the time I will keep checking the thread
PH

USMC_Richey 11-10-2011 05:53 PM

Well that's weird that her wrists are making your .40 jam, you might want to check that out. Maybe change the lead your throwing? I dunno, just spit balling here. ;)

Firearms4ever 11-10-2011 05:59 PM

I have the Ruger SR9c and I highly recommend it.

purehavoc 11-10-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC_Richey (Post 624252)
Well that's weird that her wrists are making your .40 jam, you might want to check that out. Maybe change the lead your throwing? I dunno, just spit balling here. ;)

Id like to think that , but it never jams on me or anyone else that shoots it regardles of what ammo I put in it , The only ammo I have ever had a issue with was FMJ Aguilla, the gun just does not like it . Honestly after watching her shoot it I think because she cant keep her wrists solid upon recoil it causes it to jam I think all the momentum going back upon recoil kills the spring energy a little IM sure I could change the spring out to a little heavier spring and fix it but its not a problem for me ,not to mention she complained about how her wrists hurt afer a couple 10 rd magazines, If I got her a .40 she would never take it out of the case to practice she would go get the 9mm out , SO I might as well do it right the first time and get her what she is comfortable with

UrbanNinja 11-10-2011 06:08 PM

I have the pt111. Its not a bad little shooter... I picked it up for summer Time carry but eventually gave it to my wife when i bought my Kimber. Nice size For a compact and double stack mags. ive put about 700 rounds through it...No complaints except that it doesn't like Winchester "white box". my wife enjoys shooting it a lot. you couldn't pry it from her hands at the range.

Hotshot 11-10-2011 08:16 PM

I carry a SR9c everyday, love it. My Father has a PT111 and we shipped it back to Taurus for a few issues. It has been gone about a month and still no word. The issues to me are major considering it to be a new gun. First, the slide would jam and we would have trouble getting back to moving. Second, the gun had major accuracy problems. 4" off at 5 yards from a bench vise and the sights don't move. The gun was shipped to Taurus with the slide still jammed-the gunsmith could not get it unstuck without doing posible damage.

purehavoc 11-10-2011 08:23 PM

Was this the 3rd gen millennium pro ? I have heard this about previous versions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotshot (Post 624368)
I carry a SR9c everyday, love it. My Father has a PT111 and we shipped it back to Taurus for a few issues. It has been gone about a month and still no word. The issues to me are major considering it to be a new gun. First, the slide would jam and we would have trouble getting back to moving. Second, the gun had major accuracy problems. 4" off at 5 yards from a bench vise and the sights don't move. The gun was shipped to Taurus with the slide still jammed-the gunsmith could not get it unstuck without doing posible damage.

Firearms4ever 11-10-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotshot (Post 624368)

This is why I stay clear from Taurus. I just don't like taking a gamble on a firearm. That's why I will only purchase from companies that I know are good instead of being a hit or miss.

dks7895 11-10-2011 09:20 PM

Ruger SR9c hands down. I have owned a Taurus 66 and PT92. Not bad guns, but there's a reason I sold them.

sweeper22 11-10-2011 10:04 PM

Ruger's SR9 has a great rep. Taurus...well, their rep is a little spotty to say the least.

I wouldn't mind adding an SR9c myself, as a medium framed carry gun.