Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger sr9 VS Beretta 92fs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You've asked a very big Ford vs Chevy type question here. You'll get 100 different answers and everyone is right. The bottom line is it comes down to personal preference.

The Beretta is a strong, solid, tough built gun that has proven itself for decades. It has high capacity and is very accurate.

The SR9 is lighter and easier to carry for long periods of time. Also high capacity. Also accurate. The SR9 is somewhat new but Ruger has been a household name in firearms for decades as well.

My opinion is the Beretta will be a little more accurate on follow up shots but that is due to the weight and less recoil. It is made of metal and weighs a lit more than the SR9. More recoil makes for less accuracy on the second, third, fourth and so on shots in a rapid fire situation. The Beretta will have much less recoil but much more weight. Some people want less recoil and the most accurate shots all the time and are willing to accept the extra weight for that added accuracy. Others want a light weight gun to carry all day and are willing to accept the extra recoil for the less weight. Both have good points. Both are somewhat right and somewhat wrong. Again I say it is personal preference.

I myself would go with the metal Beretta but I like old school shooting. I prefer a revolver over a semi auto any day. The plastic guns gained fame with Glock and many other gun makers copied Glock and made their own plastic guns. I didn't care for the Glock Craze when they came out over 20 years ago and I don't care for all the other guns that mimic Glock but that again comes down to personal preference. Glock has been a hot seller for well over 20 years. They must be doing something right. I just don't care for plastic guns myself.

If you have a chance shoot both of them side by side and choose based on your personal preference and experience.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Didn't CA357 just review the SR9c?

edit* http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/range-report-ruger-sr9c-32266/
Read that on the c version, might help.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2632 Times on 1535 Posts
Likes Given: 1167

Some auctions on line have excellent pictures with the firearm complete and broken down. I have bought some new ones, but like NGIB, most were used. There are deals to be had if you look around.

Good luck.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 462 Times on 254 Posts

I prefer the SR9 over the 92 for Concealed Carry. Both are fine weapons. The choice is going to boil down to what you like.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #15

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I prefer the SR9 over the 92 for Concealed Carry. Both are fine weapons. The choice is going to boil down to what you like.

While I may not know much about the SR9 I do know one thing boneman13, DO NOT buy a Sigma.

I know what I am suggesting probably isn't the greatest idea in the world, but if I were you I would go on Youtube and check out some user submitted reviews on the Ruger SR9. There are quite of few that are pretty good in giving the pros and cons of the platform. Granted if I were you I would take any biases with a grain of salt, but there some great points that are made in those videos. Also, check out some gun review sites and Ruger's forum on the platform as well. Last but not least, if there is a range that can let you check out the platform then by all means take advantage of it. I hope what little I have to offer can help you some in your inquiries.

"Surpress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand." - The Psychology of the Assassin

Last edited by Major Kusanagi; 09-30-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #16

K so no sigma huh...well had'nt really planned on the sigma....BBBUUUTTT whats so wrong with the sigma?...my buddy was actual planning on buying it in the .40. what have you heard or exprience with it?...k so i'm leaning on the beretta but you guys are right i just need to get ahold of them and see what works. thanks for all the input guys

Old 10-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #17

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
boneman13

Here's the problem the way the ruger feel in my hand is great...where as the beretta i have yet to hold it but just by looks seem a bit bulky in the grip. but again the durable and dependable factor still is huge for me. It seems like beretta might be the better way to go but i deff need to get out and pop off some rounds with both guns. i guess i just need alittle more info on the ruger and just an overall good comparison of the two
Think you nailed it here. Doesn't matter what we think as long as no one has FIRSTHAND experience or knowledge of either the Beretta or Ruger going boom in their hand or being absolute junk you should choose what works for you, feels right in your hand and is something you can shoot with confidence.

Both Beretta and Ruger are regarded as quality gunmakers so reliability and after sale support should not be an issue with either one.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-01-2010, 03:07 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 462 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneman13 View Post
K so no sigma huh...well had'nt really planned on the sigma....BBBUUUTTT whats so wrong with the sigma?...my buddy was actual planning on buying it in the .40. what have you heard or exprience with it?
There is nothing wrong with it IMO, most complaints you will hear is over the trigger being hard and gritty. Not a real issue to me. I am going to get out and do a in depth review and range report on the Sigma. For the money it is every bit as good as a Glock.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I have arrived to sing the praises of the SR9!

I've had my SR9 for about 2 years now and don't have any complaints with it. Like you said it is comfortable (different for everyone of course) I like the reversible back strap with the larger side out. It just makes the firearm feel more stable in my hand. I've probably only around a measly 1,500 rounds through her and she's performed flawlessly except for the stove piping of limp wristers. About three months ago I was cleaning my SR9 and noticed some unusual wear on the interior of the slide around where the guide rod goes. about 1mm of metal appeared to have chipped off . It was taken to Gander Mountain who directly shipped it to Ruger, three weeks later (a bit long I know) I received my SR9 back with a completely new slide. NO CHARGE got to love warranties Some have complained about a gritty trigger but as others on the interwebs have mentioned I can back up the fact that the trigger smooths out considerable after about 500 rounds down the pipe.

so to sum up

Pro's- Feels good in my hand, got to love buying from Ruger in the good ol' US of A (idk if Berreta is American made?), people with no aiming capability like me enjoy the capability of the 17+1 capacity. Tactical rail if you so choose to employ it (mine is naked and I like her that way ), it has a good weight and over all I've had no problems with the firearm other than the unusual wear on the slide which was completely replaced and payed for by Ruger

Con's- only real con for me is that it took Ruger three weeks to get the firearm back to me, but when they cover the charge I find myself willing to let that go.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ive heard bad things about crimson trace