Ruger sr9 VS Beretta 92fs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger sr9 VS Beretta 92fs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger sr9 VS Beretta 92fs

OK so this is my frist time on these threads so go easy on me....I'm planing on buying a handgun here shortly I've been doing some resreach to see which one is going to be the best fit for me. I'm looking for a gun that is very dependable and durable, also looks and feels good in my hand. Right now I think i got it down to two. the beretta 92fs or the ruger sr9. now since the sr9 is still pretty new to the market i have'nt been able to get as much info as i would like on it. i guess i'm just wondering which is gonna be the better buy. I personal love the way that the ruger feels in my hand but have not shot it yet. also the ruger in the od green is a beautiful gun. but the beretta seems to be more... lets say ruged.So i'm pretty well lost here any tips or input?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Beretta is heavy but accurate. I owned one for a year (traded it in for a Glock 19)

Pro's of the M92FS:
Super Accurate
Reliable
Exposed Hammer with Decocker (I like that, some people don't)
Decent Availability of aftermarket parts
Nice Round Comfortable Grip (if you have small hands this may be an issue)
Years of World-Wide use makes it one of the proven handguns, years of evolution made it better

Con's:
HEAVY (only a problem if you plan on carrying it alot)
Installing night sights is a pain, requires some major gunsmithing to drill the front sight
No tactical rail for flashlights or lasers (Unless you get an M9A1 )

I've never fired a SR9, but I've heard horror stories about them going off randomnly, then again who hasn't heard horror stories about any kind of handgun?

If youre gonna go Polymer, the SR9 isn't your only option...*cough cough Glock cough* Also, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Try to find a range that will allow you to shoot both. Or check out a local range. Some people will gladly allow you to shoot their firearms, as long as it is done is a safe manner (I am one of those people).

What works for you? Are you looking for target shooting, plinking, self-defense, competition? How do they feel in your "Non-dominant" hand. Can you get accessories like extra mags, holster, etc...?

Firearms are tools, like a hammer for a carpenter. A tack hammer will not best the best choice for framing a house, just as a framing hammer will not be the best choice for trim work. How will the handgun be used mainly?

Keep us informed, and good luck.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Two very different guns there. One is large metal frame with exposed hammer & decocker, the other is polymer and striker fired. I've been around and around in the handgun arena and I've basically settled on 2 platforms - 1911s and Sigs. To me, the Sig 228/229 is a great all around 9mm. Small enough for carry, large enough for accuracy and comfort, and has tons of aftermarket support. If you look for a CPO (certified pre owned) they can be had at a reasonable price as well.

If I had to choose between the 2 you mention, it would be the Beretta as it has stood the test of time - I've had a couple and I just find them a bit large and chunky for what they are.

I paid a shade over $500 for this CPO P228 that I picked up on Tuesday...

Last edited by NGIB; 09-30-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
The Beretta is heavy but accurate. I owned one for a year (traded it in for a Glock 19)

Pro's of the M92FS:
Super Accurate
Reliable
Exposed Hammer with Decocker (I like that, some people don't)
Decent Availability of aftermarket parts
Nice Round Comfortable Grip (if you have small hands this may be an issue)
Years of World-Wide use makes it one of the proven handguns, years of evolution made it better

Con's:
HEAVY (only a problem if you plan on carrying it alot)
Installing night sights is a pain, requires some major gunsmithing to drill the front sight
No tactical rail for flashlights or lasers (Unless you get an M9A1 ) Crimson Trace makes laser grips for the 92

I've never fired a SR9, but I've heard horror stories about them going off randomnly, then again who hasn't heard horror stories about any kind of handgun?

If youre gonna go Polymer, the SR9 isn't your only option...*cough cough Glock cough* Also, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
The Beretta 92fs has been in use with the US Military for over 25 years. It was one of the most tested pistols and won the contract to replace the 1911. Beretta just got another large contract from the military to build more. Yes it is heavy but lighter then the 1911 if you weigh both empty. It weighs more loaded because 15+1 compared to 8+1. I carry one all day and you get used to the weight and I don't even notice it any more. You can get lots of after market parts for the Beretta and it is easy to do the gun smithing your self. I love the DA/SA of the Beretta and the fact you can pull the hammer back for the first SA pull. The Beretta has a decocker which drops the hammer a nice feature to prevent ND. To lighten the DA trigger pull you can get the Beretta "D" spring for $1.50 from Brownells.
As for the laser Crimson Trace make a laser grips for the 92. What is nice about the Crimson Trace is the fact of the passive switch located under the trigger guard activates the laser when you grip the gun no fumbling looking for switches. Beretta makes a adjustable rear target sight for the 92fs. It is a dovetail and you can do it your self or have a smith do it for reasonable price. You can get a 22 conversion kit and I believe the Beretta 96 upper fits to change it to 40 S & W. The Beretta is easy to field strip for cleaning and you do not have the pull the trigger like you do on Glocks. The Beretta mags are inexpensive and easy to find 10,15,18,20 round mag at most gun and INet.

Not to bash the Ruger I have not shot one or looked at one. Ruger makes fine products. I own a Ruger revolver and love it and it been a great work horse.
The Beretta 92 is one of my favorite pistols and I am a 1911 snob. I cringed when I heard the Air Force was going to replace the 1911 with a 9 mm Beretta.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 09-30-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007
I cringed when I heard the Air Force was going to replace the 1911 with a 9 mm Beretta.
The Air Force used S&W Combat Masterpiece (Model 15) revolvers prior to the M9. I qualified on them a couple of times during my career...

Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know I had one to work with the Minuteman I needed to qualify with the S & W AR, and Remmy 870. I was not a SP. The 1911 was mostly used by FAC's and Para Rescue in Vietnam. Pilots had S & W and AR 7 if they were downed it depended on the unit.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 09-30-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

I can't say much for either of the two mentioned, as I haven't held or shot either. I think a lot can be said for the fact that the Beretta has been in use in the military for so long (take that for what it's worth). I have a buddy who has the Ruger SR9 and absolutely loves it. Once again, take that for what it's worth.

My opinion? Before you do anything, I would definitely give CZ a look. Specifically, the CZ SP-01. Very similar in size and weight to the Beretta, but from a lot of things I've read and people I've talked to, the CZ is "better", but remember, advice is worth what you pay for it. What I can tell you however is that my CZ is absolutely my favorite pistol so far and I would recommend it to anyone without a second's though. It had been 100% reliable for the 600 rounds I've put through it, extremely accurate (much more accurate than I am), easy to field strip, clean and maintain. At first, the trigger was a little gritty in both Single and Double Action, but that gets better after 1000 rounds or so. Or you can just do like I did and polish the trigger bar, sear and hammer, which made a world of difference.

They have the standard model with a thumb safety, a decocker version, as well as one with a polymer frame. All come with night sights. And from what I just saw on gunbroker, the SP01 and 92fs and around the same price.

I know there are some others here who have CZ's and will agree with me when I say don't buy anything without giving them a look first.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #9

Thank guys for the input...but this is kinda what i was talking about no one has much to say about the ruger i guess i need the pro's and cons of the ruger sr9 as well. Here's the problem the way the ruger feel in my hand is great...where as the beretta i have yet to hold it but just by looks seem a bit bulky in the grip. but again the durable and dependable factor still is huge for me. It seems like beretta might be the better way to go but i deff need to get out and pop off some rounds with both guns. i guess i just need alittle more info on the ruger and just an overall good comparison of the two.......now the sig's are great gun i personaly have wanted a p226 for quite some time the problem with that is there a little pricey for me and there's no manual saftey from what i have seen. Now don't get me wrong i know how to handle a gun and not haveing the manual safety is not a big deal to me...BUT...my old lady feels a little diffrent on that subject....did you hear that whip? anyways i love the look and feel of the sig but i'm not willing to buy a used gun just to get that gun cheaper and i can't justify buying an 800 dollar gun.

now glocks i don't have much expernice with glock but from just holding a few i don't really like how they feel bit to blocky for me i guess... but from what i hear the are excellent guns. ... thanks again for your input guys

Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #10

With rare exceptions, all of my guns were used. As far as Sig goes, you can get a certified pre-owned (CPO) Sig that has been tested & certified for much less than a new one.

Bottom line is you're going to have to try some out on the range as shooting a gun is much different than just holding one in a store...