Ruger SR9 - SR40?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger SR9 - SR40?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR9 - SR40?

I've been looking pretty hard at the Ruger SR9 and SR40 both the full sized and the compact. Anyone have some hands on experience with these? I have .22's for plinking but this will be my first handgun of a "real" caliber. I'm getting it for home defense, more plinking, and maybe my CCW at some point. I ask because they are always priced about $100 under other comparable handguns.

So, good trigger? Good quality? What's the general consensus?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have an SR40 and I like it. It's my first and only 40 cal. The only issue I had was when I brought it home from the lgs and went to break it down for its first cleaning, the barrel wouldn't come out. Had to send it to Ruger and they took care of it. They also sent me a free hat for my troubles. Overall I am a satisfied SR40 owner.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

My wife and I each have SR9c's. Very nice pistols. I bought hers and then traded my G19 for mine. Fits my hand much better than the G19.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 329 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have and like the SR9. Good gun, never had a problem and the ammo is cheaper which means you can shoot more. Never fired a .40, so I can't compare.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 69

I have fired both of the compact models, they are both nice pistols. The recoil on both is quite light.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

they are the same except caliber. so if you like one you like the other. now, ive only shot the 9mm but i was shocked at how much felt recoil it had compared to my XD 40. it actually made me not want to shoot the sr40. i figur eif the 9mm is that way the 40 has to be snappier but im not positive again i say i have only shot the 9. its very nice though good trigger, pretty accurate.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
I've been looking pretty hard at the Ruger SR9 and SR40 both the full sized and the compact. Anyone have some hands on experience with these? I have .22's for plinking but this will be my first handgun of a "real" caliber. I'm getting it for home defense, more plinking, and maybe my CCW at some point. I ask because they are always priced about $100 under other comparable handguns. So, good trigger? Good quality? What's the general consensus? Thanks for your thoughts!
Hi Tall Guy. I've been shooting and competing for over 30 years. I bought the all black SR40C ($419) about 3 weeks ago. It is one SWEET gun. So far, I've put a couple hundred of my hand-loads through it with just one glitch, and that was my fault for shooting it limp wristed. I've been a revolver shooter for 30 years and old habits die hard. Removed the magazine disconnect, a 5 minute job. I also put just a few Hornady Critical Defense rounds through it to function test that ammo. Recoil doesn't bother me at all. But recoil is a very subject and individual thing. I've been shooting my Ruger Redhawk 44 mag, and Ruger GP100 357 mag pretty regularly for 30 years. So the 40 S&W seems like a puppy to me. I'm in Wisconsin so my gun came with a 9 & 15 round mag. The 15 round mag turns the SR40C in to a full size SR40, while the 9 round mag makes it very concealable. While not a target gun, it has a nice trigger, and shoots nice groups at 50 feet. Most guns in this genre have either fixed or minimal sight adjustment. The SR40C has a fully adjustable rear sight, and this was a big deal for me as I experiment with my hand loads. Elevation is a simple screw adjustment, but I have to drift the rear sight for windage and it's kind of a pain, but doable. You'll need a 5/64 hex wrench, which Ruger doesn't include, to adjust windage. The SR series have a 1911 style safety, and a Glock like safety trigger. Some don't even bother with the 1911 style safety. But I like and use it.

My hand loads are just light plinking loads. I shoot a 175 grain Lee tumble lube bullet ahead of 3.6 grains of Winchester 231 powder for around 750 FPS. This load functions my gun just fine. My 67 year old girl friend says it kicks less than her Ruger LCR 38 Special. I have a shooting range on my property and reclaim all my lead (mostly wheel weights) from my home-made sand trap, and cast my own bullets. Because it's mostly wheel weights, I kinda keep the velocity down. As my only recurring costs are for powder and primers, I can reload any pistol ammo for $2.00 a box. Performance wise, the 9MM, 357 Sig, 40S&W, and 45 ACP all perform about equally well when using modern, state-of-the-art, common self defense ammo. They ALL get the job done with plenty of authority. 9MM practice ammo is much cheaper ($10 a box), then the other calibers, so that may be a consideration for you. Ya gotta practice, practice, practice. I just loaded up 2000 rounds of 40 S&W. I shoot A LOT ! I like the versatility of the 40 S&W. I can load it down, or up. At the high end, it has more raw energy then the 45ACP. But energy isn't all that important. Shot placement is. My SR40C also does double duty as my new woods gun. At 27 ounces, loaded, it's much lighter then either my 55 ounce Redhawk or 45 ounce GP100. For woods chores I'll be loading some hotter stuff for 4 legged critters. Besides concealed carry, and home defense, the SR40C is a really fun range gun ! ! ! Oh, it also has a rail under the barrel for attaching a light or laser.

I searched long and hard before deciding on the SR40C. I watched tons of gun review videos on youtube and have included some below on the SR40C and SR9C for your perusal (and some others to). Watching gun videos on youtube became pretty addictive for me, and still is. There is such a plethora of extremely fine choices from so many manufacture in today's market. It simply boils down to personal preference. I think I would have been just as happy with any one of a dozen other guns I had my eye on. Before you buy anything, go to youtube and do a search on any gun you're considering. You'll get a real education. I did. I am extremely pleased with my final choice, the Ruger SR40C. But if you don't reload, a 9MM may be a better option for you (assuming you will shoot a 9 more because the ammo is cheaper).

Having praised my SR40C, I have to say that my girlfriend's Ruger LCR in 38 Special (13 ounces and $399) is also a mighty fine concealed carry gun and also an extremely fun range gun. If you go this route, the 38 Special is better than the 357 (17 ounces and $499) for self defense IMHO. Recoil is pretty fierce with the 357 when using full power loads in such a light gun. My girl friend couldn't handle it, and 38 Special self defense ammo will get the job done just fine. But if it were to do double duty as a woods gun, then I'd go with the 357, and shoot 38 Specials in it. Even though I reload for both of us, we were shooting so much I was having a hard time keeping up. So we got my girl friend another gun, the Ruger LCR 22, for cheap practice. Another extremely fine gun and what a hoot to shoot ! ! ! There's a practical monetary reason for owning 2 LCR's. Watch the video below. (Watch all of them!) My girl friend prefers the stock grips on her LCR's. She's become deadly on pie plates at 21 feet with either gun. She shoots the 22 about 75% of the time and her 38 about 25% of the time. Again, if you don't reload, this is an excellent option. And you end up with 2 really nice guns which you can actually afford to shoot, A LOT !!!!!!!

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Ain't picking out a new gun FUN!!!!
Enjoy the journey, happy shooting, and be safe.

Semper Fi

Don <><

SR40C Chapter 1

SR40C Chapter 2

SR40C Close Up

SR9C Chapter 1

SR9C Chapter 2

SR9C Close Up

Ruger LCR 38 Special

Ruger LCR 22

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 09-18-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your comments so far, they have all been super helpful! I think I'll be going to the gun store by the end of the week so I'll keep you posted with what I decide.

Thanks again!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #9

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I have the SR40 & really like it. No troubles whatsoever so far. I have never fired the SR9 and have no problem with 9mm in general I just prefer a .40.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Sr9 owner here nearly 3 years and 4000 or so rounds later... no failures. None... couldn't be happier. A great choice in my humble opinion...