Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ruger SR9 problem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ruger-sr9-problem-28658/)

Missileman 06-23-2010 08:55 PM

Ruger SR9 problem

Well, I've put about 500 rounds through the SR9 without a single malfunction. Just when I thought I'd use it as my truck gun, I've gotten several FTEs in my last two trips to the range. All are the same--it is not a stovepipe, the empty comes out about halfway from the chamber and stays there, jamming the slide and next round. It has happened mostly near the end of the magazine (two or three rounds from empty), and has happened to a variety of ammunition, both hardball and hollow point, all of which had previously worked flawlessly. I've cleaned it well, including the extractor, and it still did it--not all the time, just about every 5th magazine or so. Very frustrating, any ideas?

orangello 06-23-2010 09:43 PM

Does it always happen using the same magazine?

danf_fl 06-24-2010 11:59 AM

+1 on "Using same mag" question. Check for cracks near the top/rear of the mag. Some fatigue may have set in if it was kept loaded with max number of rounds.

Missileman 06-24-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 305252)
Does it always happen using the same magazine?

Nope, different magazines, never kept loaded, no signes of any issues with them.

GMACK 06-24-2010 07:10 PM

It sounds like the mags are o.k. from what you have said. Try calling Rugers customer service/support phone # and see if they can help. It might require the pistol being sent back but thats what they are there for.

danf_fl 06-24-2010 09:22 PM

Have you gotten so familiar with the Ruger that you could be "limp-wristing"? A firm hand is needed for a semi-auto to work properly.

Missileman 06-24-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 305599)
Have you gotten so familiar with the Ruger that you could be "limp-wristing"? A firm hand is needed for a semi-auto to work properly.

I don't think so--been shooting for 40 years and all of my other semi's operate fine--plus I had my grown son shoot it (he was on the Navy shooting team) and it happened to him. If it happened more often it would be easier to determine, but it can go 5 mags straight no problems, then do it 2 mags in a row, then not again for 5 or 6 mags....

danf_fl 06-25-2010 01:52 AM

Had to ask. It happens with new shooters.

Missileman 06-25-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 305682)
Had to ask. It happens with new shooters.

No offense taken--you were right on target for most of these type of problems! Thanks.

utf59 06-25-2010 07:28 PM

Take a close look at the extractor. Make sure that a) nothing is stuck in the claw and b) that the claw isn't chipped. It probably isn't the case with a newer gun, but it's easy and free to check.