Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ruger SR9 and Ammunition (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ruger-sr9-ammunition-16014/)

themyst 07-22-2009 10:19 PM

Ruger SR9 and Ammunition

I have a Ruger SR9 (and I love, love, love it). I'm fairly new to the world of handguns and have some ammo questions. I was given a box of 'police rounds' when I first went to shoot at the range and they handled nicely. Then I bought some cheap 9mm lugers at Walmart and every time I shot the pistol, the casing would fly back and hit either my face or land on my chest & shoulder. ??? That really doesn't seem right. Does anyone know the cause of this? I'm assuming it is the quality of ammunition? :confused:

tookalisten 07-24-2009 09:33 PM

I recently got a SR9 and have less than 500 rounds in it. I have had none of the issues you describe; but have only shot PMC and Remington rounds.
I have read mixed reviews on the SR9; but I have had no issues with mine and really like it so far. The trigger does take some getting used to; but I am OK with that too. My wife tells me that I took some getting used to as well.

themyst 07-24-2009 09:59 PM

I figured it was the ammunition. I think I'll start a new thread on that in the future.

I love my SR9. I have no issues with it at all, except maybe that the slide is a bit difficult for me to pull back. DH says I just have to get used to it and that it will get easier. I've owned a revolver in the past, this is my first experience with a semi-auto.

I've put close to 1000 rounds through mine so far, with only one jam.

matt g 07-24-2009 10:12 PM

Chances are that you may be mildly limp wristing the pistol. The higher powered "police issue" rounds probably kept this from happening just by having a larger powder charge and possibly a heavier bullet.

What was the police ammo and what is the ball that you're shooting. It may help us if you remember brands and bullet weights.

themyst 07-25-2009 02:25 AM

Bad ammo:

Winchester 9mm luger 115gr. fmj purchased from Walmart

(these are the ones that keep flying back at me)

So-so ammo where it still happens but with less frequency:

Winchester 9mm luger 147gr fmj purchased from cheaperthandirt
American Eagle 9mm luger 124 gr fmj from cheaperthandirt
MFS Hungarian 9mm luger 124gr from cheaperthandirt

Best ones ever:

Speer GoldDot 9mm luger 124 gr

ETA: Okay, the husband sat down tonight to try and clarify this for me. I learned all about muzzle velocity and pounds of energy. I'm guessing that has everything to do with it ... and then he says that it also could just be the manufacture of the bullet itself and the way the gun handles it. He's going to pay more specific attention to it and shoot several rounds himself with my gun to see, hopefully tomorrow!

BertNassTee 01-06-2012 08:56 AM

U need to get 9mm luger 9x19