Ruger SR9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger SR9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR9

Anyone own a Ruger SR9? Been reading up on them for a while now, and it looks as though they did have some issues early on, but how are they now? I spied a used one (looks new) at the local sports shop for about $380 with 3 clips.....think its a good deal?
Im gonna look at it tomorrow again, maybe have them pull it out of the case....if the wife lets me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

They're good Stryker.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

After 31 years of marriage....

Asking her to forgive you is better than you asking her permission.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats about what I paid for my SR40 new with two mags. However I did see a new SR40 at a gunshow two weeks ago for $430.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2012 Times on 1095 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I bought my wife an SR9c. Hers has a decent trigger but I was looking for one for myself and the triggers have not been as good. I guess she got lucky with hers.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I'v heard the older sr9 had a smoother trigger then the newer ones. Theres a company called Gost Inc that makes a trigger bar reset for them that is suppose to smooth it out and give it a lighter pull, they even have you you can fit and adjust the overtravel. I dont think the trigger on my SR40 is that bad and mine has under 200rds out of it. I'm gona wate till I get to 500rds then decide if I want to do it. Its only $30. Home

Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here's a link to a fairly comprehensive report I did on my Ruger SR9c:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/range-report-ruger-sr9c-32266/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
After 31 years of marriage....

Asking her to forgive you is better than you asking her permission.
I'd describe that as slightly more dangerous than looking down the barrel of a loaded gun.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #9

Default Sr9

Well, I "fondled" the SR9 today, wife didnt even get upset. But I didn't commit a purchase yet. I have mixed feelings about a striker type trigger. Also, compared to other handguns I felt the trigger a bit heavy and gritty but I see from some replies that there is something available in the world of aftermarket for cleaning that up. However, it fits really good in my hands compared to a Beretta M92 (?) and glock. The XDM also feels nice in the grip, but too much plastic for me. (or maybe I don't want one like my brother) The best of the day as far as ergonomics, comfort and control had to be this HK (P30?) pistol the sales guy pulled out, but that is at least double what my wallet will allow at $900+.
So Im gonna get up early, do some "honey-dos" around the house, and see if I can wander back to the store and maybe make a purchase. Not sure though if I should jump on the used one, or pay the extra for a new. Ruger has a lifetime warranty right? Or is that for original purchaser only??

@CA357: This may be a dumb question, but those targets you had in the link to your review, did you use a rest when shooting? What is your opinion on overall group sizes?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Both my daughter and I have the SR9c. Both are good hand guns. Both have good crisp triggers. Mine has well over 1000 rounds through it and the only problems I have had are a few FTFs. All of them happened using the Wall Mart Winchester white box rounds. I have no complaints with the gun.

Last edited by Daoust_Nat; 02-20-2011 at 11:20 PM.