Ruger SR40
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger SR40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR40

Has anyone purchased or used the SR40? How is the recoil on the gun? Is this a good buy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am a huge fan of my SR9c. I would suggest shooting and/or buying one.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

I don't have experience with the SR40 but I do have an SR9. It was my first higher caliber handgun and I am incredibly happy with the ergos, performance, and quality of this weapon. I have a little shy of 3k rounds through it without a single hiccup. Not a single failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to go back into battery... nothing... All around a great gun... My only regret in this purchase is not getting two of em!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have experience with the SR9c and I highly recommend it. I love the trigger on it; it might be a tad heavy, but you'll get use to it and it breaks very nicely. I've had no issue with mine, except for something that was my fault and Ruger was fantastic at fixing her up for me. I really like the feel of it and you can't beat the price. The only thing I do not like about it is the magazine disconnect, but it doesn't bother me much.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #5

I have the SR9 myself and I live by it. Its a great gun now I wanted to move up in caliber

Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an SR40 and love it. The recoil on it is minimal and the grip is very comfortable. I run it through its drills once a week and have yet to have a FTE or a FTF. My buddies and I go shooting often and it is the one that they ask to shoot because of its accuracy.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Jig

I bought an SR40 for my first handgun. I only have about 60 rounds through it but I loved it. The issue I had was about 6 or 7 times I would pull the trigger back and nothing. I tap-rack-checked it and it would fire fine but after a couple of those I noticed that if I took my thumb and pushed the back of the slide forward it would pop right into battery and fire without me having to eject that round. I went home and cleaned it (which I didn't do before the first range trip) but I haven't gotten back to the range since then. This may be normal for an uncleaned out-of-the-box gun but I'm not sure. I've shot Sig and Beretta 9mm for qualifications in the Navy but this is my first .40. It feels to me like it doesn't have much more kick than the 9s but it is more IMO. To reiterate though I really like the SR40 but it'll take another trip to the range before I can 100% recommend it.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig View Post
I bought an SR40 for my first handgun. I only have about 60 rounds through it but I loved it. The issue I had was about 6 or 7 times I would pull the trigger back and nothing. I tap-rack-checked it and it would fire fine but after a couple of those I noticed that if I took my thumb and pushed the back of the slide forward it would pop right into battery and fire without me having to eject that round. I went home and cleaned it (which I didn't do before the first range trip) but I haven't gotten back to the range since then. This may be normal for an uncleaned out-of-the-box gun but I'm not sure. I've shot Sig and Beretta 9mm for qualifications in the Navy but this is my first .40. It feels to me like it doesn't have much more kick than the 9s but it is more IMO. To reiterate though I really like the SR40 but it'll take another trip to the range before I can 100% recommend it.
My Taurus PT111 would do that occasionally when brand new. If I hit the rear slide the round would chamber then fire on the next trigger pull. After about the first 100 rounds it didn't happen anymore so I suspect your new SR40 is just a little tight and this will clear up after another range session or two. Of course clean it and properly lube it before trying again.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #9

No experience with the SR40, but I am a HUGE fan of my SR9c and so are my friends. They always ask to shoot it at the range.